Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 02:05 PM

5,600 posts, read 5,062,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
The statute of limitations has passed, I was using Drake Twins and Yaesu FT101s back in the 70s!

The Avanti (Moonraker, PDL, Astroplane) factory was not far from my house and used to go there dumpster diving. Usually came away with some usable parts. Fun times!
That Astroplane I found to be kind of interesting at the time as it was the only antenna I knew that transmitted from the top and was only12 feet long. It wasn't as large as other omni directional antennas/groundplane base antennas. I wish I bought one at the time to see how it performed. It was very unnique in appearance.

I do recall a brand name "Drake".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 10:13 AM

4,348 posts, read 3,567,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Do truckers still use CB radio? My dad was a trucker and I used to have fun on his in the 80s.
Breaker 1-9 I need a 10-36!

They just need to bring it back.

And that's a big 10-4!

Old 06-13-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
They just need to bring it back.

And that's a big 10-4!
I still see lots of trucks with CB antennas so they must still be using them.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:45 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,623,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I still see lots of trucks with CB antennas so they must still be using them.
Us truck drivers very much still use the CB radios. Very helpful in heavy traffic, like finding out which lanes are blocked in vehicle accidents and which mile marker they are located. We also use a CB radio for communication with shippers and receivers.
Go into just about any truck stop, and you can find many CB radios on display for sale.
They may also be a good investment for anyone who does a lot of traveling in their vehicles, as many stretches of road systems still do not have cellular coverage.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Us truck drivers very much still use the CB radios. Very helpful in heavy traffic, like finding out which lanes are blocked in vehicle accidents and which mile marker they are located. We also use a CB radio for communication with shippers and receivers.
Go into just about any truck stop, and you can find many CB radios on display for sale.
They may also be a good investment for anyone who does a lot of traveling in their vehicles, as many stretches of road systems still do not have cellular coverage.
Scanners are also very useful for trying to avoid heavy traffic or know where the collisions are.
I have never been to a truck stop but I can imagine that would be interesting to see what they have for sale.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:24 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,623,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I have never been to a truck stop but I can imagine that would be interesting to see what they have for sale.
If you happen to be in Iowa sometime, check out the Iowa 80 truck stop. It is the largest truck stop in the world , like a megaplex for truck drivers. Located on Interstate 80 between Davenport and Iowa City. There several stores and restaurants inside. They have a truckers jamboree usually around the first week of July with custom truck shows, live bands, etc.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
If you happen to be in Iowa sometime, check out the Iowa 80 truck stop. It is the largest truck stop in the world , like a megaplex for truck drivers. Located on Interstate 80 between Davenport and Iowa City. There several stores and restaurants inside. They have a truckers jamboree usually around the first week of July with custom truck shows, live bands, etc.
tHANKS for the info. I have never been to Iowa. Don't leave Califoronia much until I leave for permantely

Old 06-24-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuma View Post
I like to use Q codes instead,they just sound more professional.....

Instead of 10-4 I say QSL and instead of asking what someones 20 is I ask "Whats your QTH??"
I guess it is not like the 70's?

Old 06-25-2021, 12:38 AM

13 posts, read 3,013 times
Ya it is...... Those Q codes started on SSB I think is what he was saying and those were used in the 70s also........

Old 06-25-2021, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuma View Post
Ya it is...... Those Q codes started on SSB I think is what he was saying and those were used in the 70s also........
I figure if I was to get another CB I would want a base station AM/SSB with the total capacity of 120 channels. That's if they make base stations in this format anymore. There appears to be nothing but mobile radios available only.

I already have a Realistic TRC-451 AM/SSB mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio