Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 11:49 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
If you think Oklahoma City is bad, come to San Diego. This market is ripe for a takeover. That's how bad Sandy Eggo radio is. It's still 1980's DISCO here...
Quite a few have gone to a language other than English. More and more, all the time, it seems...
The 80's and 70's is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I live in Oklahoma City, and the radio stations here are among the worst I've ever heard. It seems almost every frequency is changing to either a talk or oldies format of some sort. It almost seems like FM is starting to become what AM used to be - talk and music aimed at the older generation. At least in this market, nobody wants to try anything risky or interesting anymore. Does anybody think this is part of a larger trend or is it simply just OKC? For what its worth, 10 years ago OKC actually had some decent radio stations so its not like the market can't or at least once did support good stations. I guess the younger people that were the bread and butter of these stations are now listening to Pandora or other Internet radio, and I am sure that has a great effect on the variety of formats on the dial. Thoughts?
I'll take the oldies format over the talk shows or news.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:06 PM

255 posts, read 69,101 times
Radio isn't going anywhere since some 290,000,000 folks listen to it daily according to Nielsen and is much cheaper for advertisers to buy ads on than TV.

It's also the best way to reach the so-called 'money demo' (women 25-54 years of age) who drive our economy, since they are responsible for selecting the schools, buying the houses and selecting the vehicles that they will drive their kids to school, soccer practice, grocery shopping and every other mundane task you can think of in everyday life.

Since all-news stations are extremely expensive to operate given the necessity for around-the-clock live programming you're not going to find them in nearly as many markets as country, Adult Contemporary, Classic Rock, Classic Hits (formerly known as Oldies) and CHR (Contemporary Hit Radio), better known as Top 40) stations which are everywhere.

News-Talk remains the most-listened to format in the country and has been for several consecutive years.

Previous remarks on this thread regarding why AM radio is in its current state are all spot-on; today's under 30 listeners won't tolerate such dreadful signal quality except for all-sports stations for the most part.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:43 PM

When time comes will go to satellite/ HD radio.

Old 11-10-2020, 06:05 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,531,285 times
I haven't listened to AM radio in probably over 15 yrs. My city has never had good AM stations, all but one fade and fuzz out in places. I only listened occasionally to the drive home talk show on the strongest station, until it shifted too far into politics. I could have a car radio without AM and be perfectly content. But FM is stagnant, everything is either newer top 40, rap, Linkin Park style rock, or the same old songs weve all heard a million times over. HD provides nothing special here and hasnt for many years.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
I haven't listened to AM radio in probably over 15 yrs. My city has never had good AM stations, all but one fade and fuzz out in places. I only listened occasionally to the drive home talk show on the strongest station, until it shifted too far into politics. I could have a car radio without AM and be perfectly content. But FM is stagnant, everything is either newer top 40, rap, Linkin Park style rock, or the same old songs weve all heard a million times over. HD provides nothing special here and hasnt for many years.
We get traffic reports on a very strong AM station.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:14 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
We get traffic reports on a very strong AM station.
I get KGO also! "The weather at the bridge is foggy and 60 degrees!"

I look outside and it's 85 F with 30 mile visibility. All this from an old Bose radio with a di-pole antenna thumb tacked to my wall. LOL!

Old 11-11-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I get KGO also! "The weather at the bridge is foggy and 60 degrees!"

I look outside and it's 85 F with 30 mile visibility. All this from an old Bose radio with a di-pole antenna thumb tacked to my wall. LOL!
YES THAT'S IT. 74 AM traffic every 8 minutes inside car. Have portable radios in house too.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:41 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
In the last year or so, I have upped listening to AM radio. I am turning into an older person. I like the market reports. I like the old music. I normally ignore talk radio. That is what podcasts have amounted to.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
In the last year or so, I have upped listening to AM radio. I am turning into an older person. I like the market reports. I like the old music. I normally ignore talk radio. That is what podcasts have amounted to.
You are lucky that you even get anykind of music on AM. Here it is all religious shows, news, ball games and everything else but music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio