Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
There are too many AM stations that do FM simulcasts, I can hear Rush on 5 different AM stations, don't need it on 2 FM stations. The music stations that remain on FM are terrible, back in the 1970s people were willing to lay out big bucks for high quality receivers, today you can get all kinds of Bluetooth boom boxes but a good AM/FM radio is as common as typewriters and 8-track tape players.
One big reason as to why so many AM stations are doing the simulcasting on FM thing is that it is an attempt to get younger people to come back to radio since so many of them will not listen to an AM station regardless of programming. IMO it is a waste of time since even the shows that can attract the younger crowd such as Dave Ramsey, Clark Howard and Dr. Joy Browne most of those in that demo already listen to them through a podcast or some other internet stream..why bother with radio ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 02:17 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,090,856 times
FM has too many commercials and too many songs I don't care about, so I listen to my iPod. If I don't want to listen to music, I listen to AM.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:50 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
I think the radio may as well be dead for the most part with the broadcasting that they do. It’s hard to find a good station that you can listen to locally so I as well have moved to using the Ipad, PC and even the Iphone to stream broadcasts from “other” locations around the country that seem to have the show content I want to listen to. The wifi has made this possible so the radio broadcasting isn’t what it used to be. Physical radio sets are going out and the new technology is taking its place.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:56 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
FM has too many commercials and too many songs I don't care about, so I listen to my iPod. If I don't want to listen to music, I listen to AM.
Truer words were never spoken. I stopped listening to radio years ago. The amount of commercials on the radio puts cable tv to shame. That, plus the fact that they played the same ten songs a million times for weeks at a time irritated me to no end, so I stopped listening and now subscribe to Google Music for $10/month. It is well worth the splurge because I get a lot of Hindi music as well as English songs, unlike with other streaming services.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:31 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I live in LA, I think radio is gone.
It's a sign of the times when stations start airing infomercials.
If Internet radio is ever automatically available for free in everyone's car then AM and FM radio will be doomed.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:40 AM

196 posts, read 175,272 times
I for one will be very sorry when radio dies. I don't have an Ipod and I don't care to change CD's over and over. I like the variety and ease of radio.. Program my stations and push a button. As long as there's a rock, an oldies and a rap station; I'm a happy camper.

I would like to think that even if the end of the world happened, we'd still have radio and it wouldn't have the stupid FCC regulations.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:03 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,832,854 times
Thumbs down *

Radio died when they stopped airing GOOD analogue programming!!!!

All that digital stuff sounds horrible and is a disgrace to the GOOD music we had in the early 80s and before!! (Early 80s and earlier music being digitalised and played is just wrong)

NOTHING GOOD ON THE RADIO ANYMORE.... Nothing but a copy/shadow of what was ONCE BEAUTIFUL

Old 12-30-2015, 08:40 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Here in upstate NY it's hard to find a decent informative talk show...all politics, blame game. We have Sirius XM for traveling. Even then it's still difficult to find something interesting. Plenty of music, all years, all kinds.

Well, here in upstate NY, there's no shortage of all radio formats: multiple music stations dedicated to rock, pop, country, urban, jazz, oldies (er...classics), easy listening...talk shows are still popular, too, with not only the national ones broadcast but also local personalities hosting their own, along with all types of informative, special interest programs.

Radio, both AM and FM, remains alive and well in this region.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:26 PM

45,557 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eascoaswing View Post
I for one will be very sorry when radio dies. I don't have an Ipod and I don't care to change CD's over and over. I like the variety and ease of radio.. Program my stations and push a button. As long as there's a rock, an oldies and a rap station; I'm a happy camper.

I would like to think that even if the end of the world happened, we'd still have radio and it wouldn't have the stupid FCC regulations.
Radio is not dying. Channels along the FM band in major metro areas remain jam packed.

You have to have some regulation otherwise the FM band would be a mess.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:34 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
I have noticed it too. Vast majority of AM stations gave up music years ago. It's even getting harder to find news, it's mostly talk and sports. A lot of FM stations giving up music as well. Thank goodness for the non commercial (under 92) part of the band. Better quality of music and news. And yes, I contribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio