Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 02:41 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times

Advertisements

I took the test and my scores were below average but I wasn't surprised. Growing up wasn’t a pleasant experience for me. I hated my father who had a short temper and I couldn't stand to be in the same room with him.

I still remember standing at the kitchen sink. Maybe eleven years old and my father smacking me from behind. I had no idea what I did wrong. I remember the first time he beat me with his belt. I was... maybe five?

My father passed away three decades ago but today I understand why he was so angry. His father and brothers didn't respect him. So, he yelled or hit whenever he felt slighted. I then took my fear/frustration out on my younger brother who in time turned against me. And my sister moved out right after graduating high school. We were a family at war but kept the ugly details hidden from others.

Today my siblings and I look good on paper. We're all reasonably successful but each one of us is damaged goods so to speak.

My wife on the other hand was raised in a healthy family. Lots of easy laughter between my wife, her sister and their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 09:01 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I was the fourth child, and mom told me many times that I was an accident. Mom was the sixth and unwanted. Grandmother's abusive excuse of a husband told her that he would "fill her arms" to stop her from going out to work. He wanted to look like ultimate provider. He drank most most of his pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology