Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 06:25 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times

Advertisements

My brand new (delivered Friday!) Maytag dryer is not turning on. Seems to be a breaker/fuse issue?
If we unplug and wait, then replug it back in, the electronic readout thingee says power interruption, turn on the power. I can do that but when I hit the button to start the cycle, I can hear the click and it turns off again.
We also unplugged, hit the breaker for a minute +, turned the break back on and plugged the machine back in.
We can hear the click in the machine. Power comes on, hitting start button gets it partly started - 'sensing' as this machine does - then the click and off goes the power.

Obviously, I will call the place I bought it from first thing in the morning since I know they will service it, but could this be something with our breaker or the outlet itself? Hubs says NO because they machine turns back on.

Last edited by Riley.; 12-17-2023 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 06:35 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
Did it work when the installer tested/demonstrated it before leaving your home ?

Old 12-18-2023, 07:29 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
When you say "Breaker/Fuse" - is this the HOUSE breaker/fuse that you "hit" - or some gadgetry on the dryer?

If you've never touched anything in the house - then hubs is right, not a house breaker problem.

On the other hand, if the breaker you "hit" is on your wall (and not in the dryer) - then it's a different conversation.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:19 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times
Not enough info to even try a guess. But first need to explain what rood279 asked about what breaker you're talking baout. Afterwards, you can answer the following:

1. Is this a gas dryer connected just to a 120v outlet or a electric dryer to 220v -30 amp breaker or one hybrid on a 120v -30 amp breaker?

2. Did the outlet previously have a dryer hooked to it?

3. Is the breaker dedicated to that outlet?

Old 12-18-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Did it work when the installer tested/demonstrated it before leaving your home ?
Yes. I wasn't home, but Hubs was, and it was still running when I got home. I even did 4 or 5 dryer loads full of clothes.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
When you say "Breaker/Fuse" - is this the HOUSE breaker/fuse that you "hit" - or some gadgetry on the dryer?

If you've never touched anything in the house - then hubs is right, not a house breaker problem.

On the other hand, if the breaker you "hit" is on your wall (and not in the dryer) - then it's a different conversation.
NO, it was the house breaker downstairs marked "dryer." The washer is on its own breaker. We didn't touch anything on the dryer itself.
I spoke to the gentleman who runs the local appliance store where we purchased this dryer and he says we've tried everything he would have suggested. A service call has been generated but they won't be able to get here until Dec 29th. Considering how much I paid for this dryer, and that it was only delivered on Friday, I am disappointed, but nothing I can do. Fortunately, we have a woodstove running and I can dry my clothes on a drying rack.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Not enough info to even try a guess. But first need to explain what d279 asked about what breaker you're talking baout. Afterwards, you can answer the following:

1. Is this a gas dryer connected just to a 120v outlet or a electric dryer to 220v -30 amp breaker or one hybrid on a 120v -30 amp breaker?

2. Did the outlet previously have a dryer hooked to it?

3. Is the breaker dedicated to that outlet?
1) yes. this is a gas dryer connected just to a 120v outlet.
2) yes, the outlet previously had a dryer hooked up to it (another Maytag) with no issues.
3) yes, the breaker, downstairs in the basement, is dedicated to that outlet.

Old 12-19-2023, 06:26 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
Personally, I would, if possible, use that dryer outlet for the washer (they both work on 110v).. as a test. If the washer works correctly, then in my mind, the new dryer is pulling too many amps for the breaker. If the breaker continues to trip with the washer plugged in, then the breaker is at fault...replace the breaker, a simple task. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, ask a friendly neighbor/handyman.

Last edited by gemstone1; 12-19-2023 at 06:45 AM..

Old 12-19-2023, 06:57 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
1) yes. this is a gas dryer connected just to a 120v outlet.
2) yes, the outlet previously had a dryer hooked up to it (another Maytag) with no issues.
3) yes, the breaker, downstairs in the basement, is dedicated to that outlet.
Is that a 15 amp or a 20 amp 110V outlet/circuit/breaker? Presume it is 20 amps, but if not it probably should be. If it is only 15 amps it probably can't handle the current spike when the motor starts. If it is 20 amps then there is probably something wrong with the dryer.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Personally, I would, if possible, use that dryer outlet for the washer (they both work on 110v).. as a test. If the washer works correctly, then in my mind, the new dryer is pulling too many amps for the breaker. If the breaker continues to trip with the washer plugged in, then the breaker is at fault...replace the breaker, a simple task. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, ask a friendly neighbor/handyman.
We did switch plugs. The dryer does not work in the outlet where the washer in (and the washer is working no trouble at all).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews