Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 05:54 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Is that a 15 amp or a 20 amp 110V outlet/circuit/breaker? Presume it is 20 amps, but if not it probably should be. If it is only 15 amps it probably can't handle the current spike when the motor starts. If it is 20 amps then there is probably something wrong with the dryer.
We (I) am not sure about the amps....but the dryer was working for the 3 days we had it....
Before we were willing to go further with anything, and we did some basic troubleshooting, we wanted the service guy out here to take a look. It's brand new and still under warranty and they are going to fix it, one way or the other. but I do appreciate this heads up.
We did have another dryer on that outlet for years with no problems - well, no breaker problems..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 06:22 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,694,630 times
OP, you described a "click inside the machine". This sounds to me like one of two things, either a circuit breaker inside the dryer, or a spark igniter (it's a gas dryer). When you remove mains power altogether, an internal circuit breaker could be resetting, but then when you try to start the thing it trips. The other possibility that comes to mind is that the spark igniter is, for some reason, failing to light the gas, and the safety system is shutting off the gas internal to the machine, and shutting the machine control down.

I don't recall you saying that your HOUSE circuit breaker is tripping, so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

If there's excessive current versus the capacity of the wiring in the house, the HOUSE breaker will trip. I can't tell from what you've written whether the house breaker is tripping but it seems not.

I think you need to get a service person out there for the dryer. (should be all covered under warranty if there's a defect in the machine). This person will be able to tell you whether there's a problem in the mains power (sounds unlikely), in the gas supply (seems slightly more likely) or in the machine itself (that'd be my guess from afar).

Old 12-20-2023, 09:35 AM

774 posts, read 1,050,239 times
We had a similar issues with a new GE washer last year. In our case, the breaker that the washer was plugged into kept tripping. The eventual fix was to install a new breaker from a different manufacturer.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
OP, you described a "click inside the machine". This sounds to me like one of two things, either a circuit breaker inside the dryer, or a spark igniter (it's a gas dryer). When you remove mains power altogether, an internal circuit breaker could be resetting, but then when you try to start the thing it trips. The other possibility that comes to mind is that the spark igniter is, for some reason, failing to light the gas, and the safety system is shutting off the gas internal to the machine, and shutting the machine control down.

I don't recall you saying that your HOUSE circuit breaker is tripping, so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

If there's excessive current versus the capacity of the wiring in the house, the HOUSE breaker will trip. I can't tell from what you've written whether the house breaker is tripping but it seems not.

I think you need to get a service person out there for the dryer. (should be all covered under warranty if there's a defect in the machine). This person will be able to tell you whether there's a problem in the mains power (sounds unlikely), in the gas supply (seems slightly more likely) or in the machine itself (that'd be my guess from afar).
The house breaker is not tripping Rabbit....and your comments are helpful!! Your description of the click inside the machine makes sense. Husband suggested he go in there and look at it and I suggested we just let the service guy come and fool with it. The machine is under warranty. Appreciate you taking the time to share this info. We'll see what the guy says.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
We had a similar issues with a new GE washer last year. In our case, the breaker that the washer was plugged into kept tripping. The eventual fix was to install a new breaker from a different manufacturer.
We think it's probably this, or as Rabbit suggests, something in the machine itself, since we've never had this issue before. Of course, there's a first time for everything.

Old 12-21-2023, 07:04 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,374,299 times
I think you have eliminated the breaker being defective if I'm reading your post #10 correctly. You stated you frogged (switched) the outlets for the washer & dryer, the dryer worked in neither outlet, the washer worked in both outlets. That points to the dryer as the culprit.
But on the unacceptable service date, "I" would escalate to management or the manufacturer via their website.

Old 12-21-2023, 07:54 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
Earlier you said this:

We didn't touch anything on the dryer itself.

But then you said THIS:

The house breaker is not tripping...

Thus the contradictory advice you are getting. So - once and for all and with clarity:

When you (or your hubs) RESETS anything - what is it, exactly?

Old 12-22-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Earlier you said this:

We didn't touch anything on the dryer itself.

But then you said THIS:

The house breaker is not tripping...

Thus the contradictory advice you are getting. So - once and for all and with clarity:

When you (or your hubs) RESETS anything - what is it, exactly?
These are the things we did:

Unplugged the dryer, replugged back into the same outlet.

Unplugged the dryer and turned off the breaker downstairs. (then turned breaker back on and plugged the machine back in).

We get the same message in the electronic control panel "power interruption, hit the power button (or something like that). Readout displays for the selected cycle. Hit the start button, get the 3,2,1 countdown, machine tries to fire up and then a click happens in that control panel and machine shuts off. We can hear the click in that control panel. Below is a picture of the machine.

And, in a lemony snicket series of unfortunate events, our REFRIGERATOR died night before last!!!
But back to the dryer. So, since hubs and I were trying to trouble shoot the REFRIGERATOR (a 12 yr old Kenmore) he decided to open up the back of the dryer. It's clear the click is coming from a pronged plug inside that mechanical housing. I know I'm not describing this sufficiently, but we have a service call in (and I'm not happy it's not til 12/29). Living dangerously, I purchased a scratch and dent Whirlpool refrig. I guess the stove is next. HA!!!!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maytag-Smar...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 12-22-2023, 05:59 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,694,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
These are the things we did:

Unplugged the dryer, replugged back into the same outlet.

Unplugged the dryer and turned off the breaker downstairs. (then turned breaker back on and plugged the machine back in).

We get the same message in the electronic control panel "power interruption, hit the power button (or something like that). Readout displays for the selected cycle. Hit the start button, get the 3,2,1 countdown, machine tries to fire up and then a click happens in that control panel and machine shuts off. We can hear the click in that control panel. Below is a picture of the machine.

And, in a lemony snicket series of unfortunate events, our REFRIGERATOR died night before last!!!
But back to the dryer. So, since hubs and I were trying to trouble shoot the REFRIGERATOR (a 12 yr old Kenmore) he decided to open up the back of the dryer. It's clear the click is coming from a pronged plug inside that mechanical housing. I know I'm not describing this sufficiently, but we have a service call in (and I'm not happy it's not til 12/29). Living dangerously, I purchased a scratch and dent Whirlpool refrig. I guess the stove is next. HA!!!!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maytag-Smar...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
A lot of equipment with embedded electronics, the control electronics are powered-up whenever you're plugged into mains, even if the device appears to be OFF. So unplugging the dryer allowed the dryer control to fully reset.

At any rate, as you note, it's almost certain your problem is inside the dryer - OR it could be low gas pressure causing a safety shutoff - so the technician and service call is the right path for you to take.

Old 12-22-2023, 01:45 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
OK - so the house breaker never tripped. All conversations about not enough current, 15A vs 20A, breaker manufacturer - ALL good ideas if the breaker had tripped. But it did not. So mainly, and most likely, those things are not going to be part of the remedy.

The dryer itself is conking out. Sounds defective It's possible you have an internal GFI breaker IN YOUR DRYER that is not loving the way your house is wired - and unplugging it allows it to reset - but that is a lonnnnng shot.

You've got a bad module, board, or similar. Please check back in next week and let us know what happened! I feel like we're on Stump the Chumps... (throw back...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews