Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 08:50 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It hasn’t been determined if the chargers are getting rid of Philip rivers. I think they’d be dumb if they did. He attracts the majority of the attention. If they lose him they’ll lose that
What attention do you think the Chargers get??

They have no fans....they get little to no national attention....

Put Tom Brady on that team and you think they somehow get LESS attention??

Do you realize the media frenzy that would take place if Rivers is replaced by Brady??

They would INSTANTLY become THE story of the NFL at least to start the season and if Brady actually played half decent they would continue garner more attention than they have in over a decade.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 10:23 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,551,142 times
I just don’t know. I think it was thought that just by moving the chargers from San Diego to LA that they would get plenty of attention. I still wonder why they moved two teams but they did so apparently someone in the nfl thought it would be a good idea. It seems like it wasn’t.

I’m sure brady would bring a ton of attention to the team but it would be short lived. It would probably last about a year and then what?

The chargers get a lot of negative attention. Negative attention for leaving SD, negative attention for losing. I think brady would generate some negative attention because a lot of folks do seem to love Phillips rivers. Or at least the loyal fans do. I don’t know how popular brady is in LA. It doesn’t seem that football is popular in LA

Any team that gets brady is going to get headlines. But it will be short lived. That’s why I think he should just stay with the pats.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I think he'll stay with the Pats. It makes no sense to jump ships now
If the Patriots don’t sign some talent to make the offense viable, the best thing Brady could do is walk. Weak offensive line. No tight end. A running game with no yards after contact. The receivers are slow and don’t get open. Teams totally shut down the Patriots by doubling Edelman. On passing downs, putting the nickel back on White out of the backfield. Nobody else gets open. With Sony Michel in the game, the Patriots run 70% of the time because he has stone hands. Michel gets no yardage after contact and gets stuffed in the backfield all the time. The Patriots #1 draft picks the past two years were Michel and Harry. Neither have performed and Harry looks to be too slow to get separation.

The draft and salary cap are working as designed. All those #32 and #31 picks in the draft and allowing talent on the offensive line and wide receiver to go elsewhere for more money have caught up with the Patriots. Hoping for a miracle from Josh Gordon didn’t work. Antonio Brown didn’t work. With the limited cap space and the #23 pick in the draft and no 2nd round pick after the Sunu trade, I don’t see it getting better.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:49 AM

He will look stupid if he goes to another team. Just too much weirdness.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:41 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,627,647 times
All this speculation, and I think he stays. Why would he leave there? They can do a year or two contract for him. He'll want some assurance on offense but leaving, I doubt it.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If the Patriots don’t sign some talent to make the offense viable, the best thing Brady could do is walk. Weak offensive line. No tight end. A running game with no yards after contact. The receivers are slow and don’t get open. Teams totally shut down the Patriots by doubling Edelman. On passing downs, putting the nickel back on White out of the backfield. Nobody else gets open. With Sony Michel in the game, the Patriots run 70% of the time because he has stone hands. Michel gets no yardage after contact and gets stuffed in the backfield all the time. The Patriots #1 draft picks the past two years were Michel and Harry. Neither have performed and Harry looks to be too slow to get separation.

The draft and salary cap are working as designed. All those #32 and #31 picks in the draft and allowing talent on the offensive line and wide receiver to go elsewhere for more money have caught up with the Patriots. Hoping for a miracle from Josh Gordon didn’t work. Antonio Brown didn’t work. With the limited cap space and the #23 pick in the draft and no 2nd round pick after the Sunu trade, I don’t see it getting better.
So how come the draft and salary cap didn't "work as designed" the last 20 years then??

It just finally kicked in NOW.....20 years later....I don't think so.

I actually agree with everything you stated in the first paragraph but your conclusion just doesn't follow....

How do you explain having the best defense in the NFL this past season after letting guys like Chandler Jones, Logan Ryan, Malcolm Butler and others walk and all those low draft picks??

They tried to build up the offense but the gambles on Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown failed miserably and the biggest mistake was having no plan in place for Gronk.....the complete disregard for the TE position was baffling. N'Keal may or may not be a bust but I would sure rather have had Hollywood Brown, Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf or about 3-4 other rookie receivers over him...

Drafting WR's and 2nd round DB's is BB's kryptonite...

Old 01-14-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
All this speculation, and I think he stays. Why would he leave there? They can do a year or two contract for him. He'll want some assurance on offense but leaving, I doubt it.
I don't think he wants to leave but ultimately it won't be up to him as much as it is BB....

Pats could have already signed him if they wanted to right now....if BB lets Brady test the market like he had done in the past with players like Hightower and McCourty I think Brady is gone....

Someone will blow him out of the water with an offer, better offensive weapons and guarantees on executing his offense that the Patriots won't want to match or won't be able to match

I also wouldn't be surprised if BB has already made up his mind to move on...he's done it many times before and he has the cache to do whatever he wants.

I personally would like to see Brady play 1-2 more seasons with the Pats and then retire having played for 1 organization. At this point it's not like they have a better option on the roster or potential fits in free agency upcoming....where they are drafting won't get them a QB of the future most likely and after trading a 2nd for Sanu they likely can't even move up in the draft if they wanted to..

Old 01-19-2020, 08:17 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
How do you think they should have done that exactly??

Garoppolo's contract was about to expire and he was going to get paid and did get paid...

Show me an NFL team with 50 million tied up in QB money that could still be competitive on the field...

The year the Pats traded Jimmy G Brady was league MVP and the Pats made it to their 2nd straight SB, the following year Pats made it 3 straight SB's winning their 6th....

There is no reason to believe either of those SB trips would have happened without Brady....

Even in hindsight, considering how the Pats have fared since the trade getting to 2 SB's winning 1, they made the right decision to keep Brady.
We’ll see how this plays out years from now. Two years in, with the way things are turning out now, they might revisit this trade... .

Old 01-22-2020, 11:28 AM

I wish theyd make a decision. The media is really making a frenzy of this.

I keep hoping it’s not the chargers but now that we know Philip rivers has permanently moved to FL it seems like they could be it. I hate the chargers. They’re really the last team I’d want to see brady go to

Old 01-22-2020, 01:22 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,003 times
I’ve only heard talk about him being connected with the Las Vegas Raiders, which makes me laugh considering that club is kind of a mess. Brady deserves better.

We will have to see if Belichick feels that Brady gives him the best chance to win games next season and if Kraft will actually allow Brady to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football