Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Fort Duquesne? :P
Smarty pants. Nope -- Nine times great grandfather landed in Philly in 1749 on the Phoenix... and got a land grant to "The Three Hills" in Brothers Valley, Bedford County around 1774. It's now Meyersdale in Somerset County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 AM

31 posts, read 164,707 times
Default newcomers

You seem to have most of it covered.
Here's a link to one site that has almost anything & everything you can think of. http://www.visitpittsburgh.com.
This is the organization that presents Pittsburgh to people around the country & the world.
Wendy Piquette

Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 AM

48 posts, read 199,445 times
A big thank you!!! Moved to the area in Nov 07' and slowly getting around. Anything on good food??? Like Indian, Thia, Korean etc? Thanks again for all the links!

I was active in this post before we moved and then I was checking in after we moved, and yes, I found the post getting a little off base. Glad to here I checked in at a good time. Keep it up and I'll be back!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitacandle View Post
A big thank you!!! Moved to the area in Nov 07' and slowly getting around. Anything on good food??? Like Indian, Thia, Korean etc? Thanks again for all the links!
Yelp has been gradually building up their database of Pittsburgh restaurants, and I find it handy for searching:

Pittsburgh Restaurants | Yelp

Of course as a city of neighborhoods, people tend to have local favorites.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 25,342 times
Smile re-locating to (lawrenceville area/15201 zip

I will be re-locating to the lawrenceville area w/zip 15201 by beg of June. I will be staying with my sister until i get a job in CSR/call center type work. I hope i can find one that is on a bus route,since im moving from a rural town in greenwood,s.c.,with not many jobs here. I have truck,but want to save driving it. I will be going back to move up my wife in about 2-3 mo after i get a place of our own. I have been checking out jobs near there @ monster.com, and have found some good ones! how is the living in that area?? travel to jobs by bus/metro?? shopping?? i tried to get a bteer map of that area,but it doesnt show much> && I hate driving directions!! get lost easily,, have print from mapquest to get there,,but that shows taking a lot of rds from here in greenwood, s.c. to up there,,? and I know gas prices will be killing us moving during summer?? we lived in tampa, fl for 24 yrs, being here in s.c. past 2 yrs since wifey wanted to be around her family, but it just isnt owrking out,,especially the jobs,, we are in our early 50's,,so we are not cut out for factory jobs, like they have here,, been comp tech for AOL for 4 yrs,, work as CST at walt disney world for 2 yrs and other call center jobs including Allstate Ins. So i hope jobs in those areas are good up there, and easy to get to,,even if i have to take a bus and subway to/from work? can anyone fill me in on some of this info?? all is much appreciated!!! thanx,,,,Ken(budman33)

Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman33 View Post
I will be re-locating to the lawrenceville area w/zip 15201 by beg of June. I will be staying with my sister until i get a job in CSR/call center type work. I hope i can find one that is on a bus route . . .
I can't provide much information on the job front, but Lawrenceville is pretty well-served by bus routes, and there is also a lot of stuff in walking distance.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 AM

Default Budman: here's some info that could help you

You can look for technology jobs at the Pittsburgh Technology Council. Pittsburgh Technology Council

Lawrenceville is a hot neighborhood right now, but unless you're going to work downtown, it may not be the best for commuting by bus to work. You might consider Oakland or Squirrel Hill because of the good public transportation and the proximity to technology type of jobs. For example, a lot of the universities in our area are located there and you may also find high tech jobs at Carnegie Mellon University, or you may end up working downtown.

Our local transit authority is going through some difficult times. There have been a lot of route reductions. Here is a link to their site. (I use them regularly, because I work downtown, and it saves on parking, gas, and driving frustration.) Port Authority of Allegheny County

Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 AM

Smile Anitacandle: about restaurants.

[quote=anitacandle;3380488]A big thank you!!! Moved to the area in Nov 07' and slowly getting around. Anything on good food??? Like Indian, Thia, Korean etc? Thanks again for all the links! /quote]

Bangkok Inn on Forbes in Squirrel Hill (between Shady Ave & Murray Ave) is very good for Thai. There are a few Indian restaurants on Banksville Rd, both in the Banksville Plaza shopping center, and at the Days Inn. (I am not good with curry, but I've heard they're very good). Not sure about Korean, but if you like Middle Eastern food, Ali Baba in Oakland on Craig St. is awesome (and very reasonable).

Here's a link to a local restaurant guide. Restaurants in Pittsburgh (http://www.studentguidetopittsburgh.com/food/restaurants.htm - broken link)

Old 04-12-2008, 10:11 AM

221 posts, read 751,663 times
People's Indian restaurant on Penn Ave. and . . . Gross? (right around there) has great Indian food. Their luncheon buffet is a great place to eat a good meal at a good price.

A great neighborhood for all kinds of housing is Friendship. It's easily accessible by foot or excellent bus accessibility to downtown, Oakland, Shadyside, Highland Park, Bloomfield. Friendship (Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 25,312 times
One more link for things to do in the Burgh:
IheartPGH.com

Last edited by BrianAtTrib; 04-14-2008 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Link not showing as link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh