Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 06:09 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times

Advertisements

Are you content with your life? If so, when did you figure it out?

When I accepted I have a "good" side and a "bad" side, and they average out to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 08:44 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
I am satisfied that life is not fair, and that it takes an edge to make one’s way through it.
I alone am responsible for my life’s outcomes, and though there is interaction, the way I choose to deal with Them is my choice.
People have their own problems and sometimes try to draw others into them for help.
Unfortunately no one but God knows the depth of one’s problems but one’s self, and even then people tend to ignore the causes but focus on symptoms.
I’ve chosen God to be my edge, my teacher in all things.
He knows me best and the path I need to take.
I like to share this capability to those wanting to better their life.
I’m not rich, I don’t need to be.
I’ve known many rich that seem to have done well and some that did not do so well because at the end of life lived selfishly leaving God out .
It is frustrating to those around me not buying into the status quo, but this life is but a tent that decays and my soul will soon be in an eternal home with the God I love.
Raised in a Christian home no one pushed me into this way, there were so many miracles of Gods intervention in our lives one could not ignore it. At age 7 I invited Jesus into my life and knew Gods presents everywhere.
I made my share of blunders , still do from time to time, but God knows my path and my heart. We work things out.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:22 PM

13,689 posts, read 7,976,787 times
“Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a yacht that sails right next to it.”

― David Lee Roth

Old 06-24-2023, 10:02 PM

740 posts, read 455,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
“Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a yacht that sails right next to it.”

― David Lee Roth
I once asked a successful businessman about Money. I said, "I heard that Money can't buy happiness". He responded, "Only poor people say that"

Old 09-02-2023, 06:22 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Are YOU content with your life? What makes you content? Is it the comfortable retirement and health? anything else?
I am totally content with my life, and it's taken me a long time to get to this point. I've had approximately 50 operations and have been in constant pain for almost 20 years, and that's with me taking pain meds, and not the OTC stuff. I do have some money but that's not that important to me. That's easy to say when you do have some money.
Happiness comes and goes as we all know, but being content can be a constant in our lives if we can ACCEPT everything that comes into our lives, be it pain, wealth, poverty, etc. EVERYTHING has to be accepted and that's my key to contentment. I've had significant losses in my immediate family, and a lot of other "things" that most people would find very difficult to deal with. Over a period of time I found myself accepting circumstances that I either had to accept, go nuts, or do drugs, although I'm pretty sure there are other options for dealing with awful happenstances. That's my story of how I came to find contentment in the midst of sheer awfulness. Acceptance is my lifeline to a different state of being that I thoroughly enjoy.

Old 09-03-2023, 06:14 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,002,933 times
I agree with this last comment. I know what you mean. I was suffering tremendously and then I had a dream. A superconscious dream. A spiritual figure appeared to me and told me:"You have to accept it! You have to accept it!"
Accepting it all is the key, that's so true. And it's not easy. But it does bring happiness indeed.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:53 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Overall, yes.

The old saying is true about misery likes company, but whether a person is miserable or not depends on them and no one else.

This is especially true if they are miserable and decide to abuse someone else because they can't stand the thought that others are not miserable while they are. Notice that despite the abuse they are not miserable unlike you. A miserable person can't make another miserable if they don't let you, because the true control remains on them and not you.

For some people, the sources of their content is not what they are for other people. Hence, what makes you miserable has little effect on someone else who's sources of content are other things and many times they are not things at all.

This kind of reminds me what a therapist once told me when I was recuperating from a very serious medical emergency, to the point I had doctors tell me "you are very lucky to be alive, because we have seen several people going through what you went and they didn't survive." He said "I don't know how all of this happens to you and you remain as calm as if its nothing. If it was me…"

One man's garbage is another man's treasure, but whether it's seen as a garbage or a treasure it remains the same! Everyone isn't the same. What breaks one person has no effect on someone else.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:49 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
I'm in my late 60s and pretty content with how my life has turned out. Sure, I could have made different decisions and gone down different paths along the way, but for the most part, the decisions I made and the paths I took worked out fine.

If I regret anything, it's that I spent so much time in my 20s, 30s, 40s, and even 50s worrying and fussing about what now seems to be petty stuff.

Due to my various health conditions, my time left ahead is much shorter than my time behind, so I see no point in wasting time worrying and fussing now. It simply doesn't matter.

I just try to fill each day with simple pleasures, which for me boils down to spending time with my family, spending time in nature, and a few creative pursuits that I now do for my own enjoyment and nothing else.

Life is good.

Old 09-08-2023, 03:29 AM

982 posts, read 539,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
So, yeah, I guess it took a stroke for me to rethink my philosophy on life. Are you content with your life? If so...when? If not, why?
In truth I have never, even as a young child, been a very happy person and do not like life very much. It's mostly work, sleeping and putting up with drama with only a few intermittent fleeting hours of fun/pleasure in between. My mind is filled with self doubt, self criticism, bitterness and laziness.

So far as we know, no one chose to be here and we don't even know why we, and all creatures that share this planet with us fight to live (the physical pain of death maybe??) We go hither and thither, back and forth, to the grocery, to work, to our homes and we don't even know why we do it. All creatures are thrust into this world covered in amniotic goo and ignorant of our surroundings and the rules that will govern our paths. We put one foot (or hoof or paw) in front of the other day after day after day all while being coerced by the need for food and shelter into doing things we don't want to do, interacting with individuals we don't want to interact with, suppressing physical and emotional pain and suppressing frustration.

All that said, I have done everything that I've wanted to do in life and have accomplished 99% of the things that I've wanted to accomplish. That last 1% is a masters degree in mathematics but now approaching 40yo with 3 kids to support and a wife that refuses to contribute financially I don't see it happening.

Old 09-08-2023, 12:07 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
We put one foot (or hoof or paw) in front of the other day after day after day all while being coerced by the need for food and shelter into doing things we don't want to do, interacting with individuals we don't want to interact with, suppressing physical and emotional pain and suppressing frustration.
There’s a distinction between the pursuit of happiness vs. the expectation of it. Why not interact/spend time with folks you enjoy and seek to improve your mental health re: emotional pain and frustration.

It’s a matter of living an active/meaningful life (rather than expecting happiness to come to you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy