Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 06:41 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Let me be clear; I am inalterably opposed to hate crimes laws. There should be laws against direct incitement, such as saying "I want you to torch (fill in the blank)" or "I want you to paint graffiti on (fill in the blank)." I think hate crimes laws are un-American and arbitrarily enforced.
Agree - as they sometimes are taken too far..
It has to be re-written?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 06:55 AM

15,950 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
BDS is dead. Not because of anything our government has done. Because Israel makes its money off of things that nobody is willing to boycott. Their tech sector is rivaled only by Silicon Valley. There is Israeli technology in your smart phones and computers. There is Israeli technology in lasers and weapons that countries will not stop buying. There is Israeli technology in MRI machines and pacemakers. People aren't going to boycott life saving medicines that were developed by Israel's booming pharmaceutical industry either. Israel is not 1940's India, nor is it 1980's South Africa.

Since BDS started its campaign, Israels economy has skyrocketed. Their GDP is now over $500B, and growing year after year. Boycotting some Israeli made cookies in a supermarket isn't going to make even the tiniest dent in it.
If BDS is dead then why does Israel and zionists call it anti-semitism and have demanded to stop it? Why stop free speech if it is making you prosper?

Old 01-26-2023, 06:58 AM

35,008 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
So all the Orthodox Jews in US and elsewhere are anti-semites according to you?

They are AGAINST the statehood of Israel - according to their Jewish religious beliefs

P.S. - some of your arguments regarding other countries are wrong -for example - regarding the indigenous inhabitants here or Kuril Islands-( Russia has their own Ainu population on their mainland, etc.)
I don't know if they are anti-Semitic. I am pretty sure, as a group, they (and I refer only to certain Chasidic sects) are highly counterproductive. They mooch major amounts of government aid for fraudulent "special education" and their children still wind up not learning English. They reproduce heavily, and sustain them off welfare and SNAP, and from fraudulent "educational loans" where they attend up to fifty or more years of "religious study." Since they never leave school they never have to make repayment.

My source is various people in the community.

My point in my post is that movement among peoples is frequent, inevitable and usually good. Why is it only when Jews move the "world" finds a threat? Do they want a mulligan on the Holocaust?
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Agree - as they sometimes are taken too far..
It has to be re-written?
How about repealed? There are already laws against incitement. As a proud Jew speech doesn't scare me. To quote Justice Brandeis, in his concurring opinion in Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1926) (link):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Brandeis
Those who won our independence by revolution were not cowards. They did not fear political change. They did not exalt order at the cost of liberty. To courageous, selfreliant men, with confidence in the power of free and fearless reasoning applied through the processes of popular government, no danger flowing from speech can be deemed clear and present, unless the incidence of the evil apprehended is so imminent that it may befall before there is opportunity for full discussion. If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence. Only an emergency can justify repression. Such must be the rule if authority is to be reconciled with freedom.5 Such, in my opinion, is the command of the Constitution. It is therefore always open to Americans to challenge a law abridging free speech and assembly by showing that there was no emergency justifying it.
Those words ring true, now more than ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If BDS is dead then why does Israel and zionists call it anti-semitism and have demanded to stop it? Why stop free speech if it is making you prosper?
Why should Israel be subject to a barrier to trade (even if followed in the breach) that no other country is? Why are China, Myanmar, Pakistan, (and the list goes on) not subject to living under a pall?

Last edited by jbgusa; 01-26-2023 at 07:21 AM..

Old 01-26-2023, 07:07 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Well, because it often IS antisemitism. Like when BDS made the map of all the Jewish owned businesses in the Boston area, like the way Germany did in the 30s and 40s.

Also, it leads to anti Jewish hate crimes and discrimination on college campuses.

Just because it doesn't harm Israel, doesn't mean that it doesn't harm Jews here.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:32 AM

35,008 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Well, because it often IS antisemitism. Like when BDS made the map of all the Jewish owned businesses in the Boston area, like the way Germany did in the 30s and 40s.

Also, it leads to anti Jewish hate crimes and discrimination on college campuses.

Just because it doesn't harm Israel, doesn't mean that it doesn't harm Jews here.
I wonder why everyone is so interested in Delegitimizing Jews as well as Israel? What did we do to deserve this?

Old 01-26-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I
[/indent][/indent]Those words ring true, now more than ever.
Why should Israel be subject to a barrier to trade (even if followed in the breach) that no other country is? Why are China, Myanmar, Pakistan, (and the list goes on) not subject to living under a pall?
Apparently BDS is not a barrier to trade. Israel is doing economically even better tan all those other countries. So why attempt to stop free speech? Israel also never suffers sanctions for illegal expansion of the settlements. So that is plus side to trade.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Boycotts are a legitimate and non-violent form of protest, as was the Salt march, the Boston Tea party against oppressive practices, as against South African apartheid govt. Why should Israel alone be exception?
Many jews protest against the Israeli govt, and also suppprt BDS.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Boycotts are a legitimate and non-violent form of protest, as was the Salt march, the Boston Tea party against oppressive practices, as against South African apartheid govt. Why should Israel alone be exception?
Many jews protest against the Israeli govt, and also suppprt BDS.
If you are boycotting people just because they are Jewish, that is not a protest. It's just bigotry.

Imagine mapping out and boycotting black owned businesses.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
If you are boycotting people just because they are Jewish, that is not a protest. It's just bigotry.

Imagine mapping out and boycotting black owned businesses.
You are equating people with corporation, and that is a false argument. Boycotting corporations that are profiting off the people is to hold the state of Israel accountable for its oppressive actions. Many jewish people support the boycott.
I cannot imagine how equating this to true ant-semitism, which exists, helps the Jewish people or diminish hatred. All it does it silence free speech and that does not create positive energy.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
You are equating people with corporation, and that is a false argument. Boycotting corporations that are profiting off the people is to hold the state of Israel accountable for its oppressive actions. Many jewish people support the boycott.
I cannot imagine how equating this to true ant-semitism, which exists, helps the Jewish people or diminish hatred. All it does it silence free speech and that does not create positive energy.
I'm not equating anything. That BDS map targeted Jewish people who owned stores and restaurants as well as Jewish organizations. They didn't bother to differentiate the ones who sell Israeli products or not.

They also bring a lot of antisemitism to college campuses. They protest in front of jewish student organizations, where most of the students have likely never even been to Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy