Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 08:00 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What makes you keep coming back? I hope it is to learn viewpoints on current news and the topic of the thread that are different from what you hold, being a Jew. With an open mind. Of course one needs to hear, view, or listen to news to be disturbed.
I could ask the same question of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 10:24 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I could ask the same question of you.
it is to learn viewpoints on current news and the topic of the thread that are different from what you hold, being a Jew. With an open mind. Of course one needs to hear, view, or listen to news to be disturbed.
Ihave posted opinions of Jews and others who hold a diversity of views and opinions about zionism and its violent history. To dismiss all those opinions and the terrorist history of Irgun as anti-semitism would be misinformation. Why would one do that?

Old 11-23-2023, 11:40 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Stop. This simply isn't true.
It was true.

I go to Hebrew Union several times a year for seminars and presentations about archaeology. Politics never comes up unless they're discussing a particular Hebrew king or series of kings in a particular era.

Even though it's true now, it doesn't change the fact that Anti-Zionism is not Anti-Semitism.

Old 11-27-2023, 04:04 PM

1,203 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It was true.

I go to Hebrew Union several times a year for seminars and presentations about archaeology. Politics never comes up unless they're discussing a particular Hebrew king or series of kings in a particular era.
It's been true for awhile (probably since the 80's) even if not explicitly codified. If politics never comes up, then how would you know what all of the people at Hebrew Union think about Zionism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Even though it's true now, it doesn't change the fact that Anti-Zionism is not Anti-Semitism.
I commented on your on your statement regarding Reform Jews (not Reformed) not being Zionists. Also, just a heads up, antisemitism should not have a hyphen. I know the thread title is wrong as well (that you didn't create), but thought I would let people know.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/antisemitism

USAGE NOTE FOR ANTISEMITISM
The closed and lowercase spelling antisemitism is now the preferred form. Jewish groups have long preferred the single word spelling, and many style guides, including those of major publications, have also adopted it.
While Semitic is a current linguistic term for a subfamily of Afroasiatic languages including Akkadian, Arabic, Aramaic, Ethiopic, Hebrew, and Phoenician, the spelling anti-Semite falsely implies prejudice against all of the diverse groups of people who speak any of these languages. However, that is not how antisemite is used. Rather, the “Semite” in antisemitism is a euphemism for “Jew,” meant to lend a scientific air to the racial grouping of all Jewish peoples based on an outdated pseudoscience of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy