Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 04:40 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,366,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Why are you playing what if’s when you don’t even understand what’s going on?

Correct not the irs and based on you input

It’s clear you anrnet familiar with form w4

No its 100% your fault

So what ?

Because they are following your input

They do and they follow your input, that’s the issue and you don’t understand nor utilize the functionality of your w4

How is it possible that my entire working career, I never owed money until the past couple of years. If I filled out a W4 form when I started a job, all I ever did was choose dependents or no dependents. Nothing else. I never said how much to withhold. That said, how was I fine for 20 years? Makes no sense. Suddenly, after all of these years, not enough is being withheld. I never told anyone to take less. Tell me why this is suddenly happening oh, amazing genius..

Last edited by Lizap; 02-22-2024 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
The first thing I would ask do you actually have 2 dependents and are there any additional income flows.
I claim what I have. When I had no dependents, I claimed 0. When we had two kids, we claimed 2 dependents. How is that a wrong decision?

Old 02-21-2024, 04:43 PM

Quote:
It’s less about the dependents and more about the other income that’s the issue. Both should be added for accuracy but if you earn 100k elsewhere outside of a part time job earning 20k they aren’t going to withhold enough without knowing of the other 100k
My wife has two employers. Actually, three last year. One or two withheld nothing because they were both only about 30k. But this year, both were over $60k. But even looking at my withheld, it is under 10%. It never was that way before and I never changed a W4.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:38 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,702,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
My wife has two employers. Actually, three last year. One or two withheld nothing because they were both only about 30k. But this year, both were over $60k. But even looking at my withheld, it is under 10%. It never was that way before and I never changed a W4.
So, your wife doubled her income, there was no withholding on that income, and you’re confused about why you’re in the situation you’re in? Really?

Old 02-21-2024, 05:53 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,625,027 times
Quote:
You sound like someone who just likes to argue, like some amateur lawyer. How is it possible that my entire working career, I never owed money until the past couple of years. If I filled out a W4 form when I started a job, all I ever did was choose dependents or no dependents. Nothing else. I never said how much to withhold. That said, how was I fine for 20 years? Makes no sense. Suddenly, after all of these years, not enough is being withheld. I never told anyone to take less. Tell me why this is suddenly happening oh, amazing genius..
Quote:
I love to argue but that’s not really relevant to your tax situation. The w4 was significantly updated I believe in 2020 and the continuing issue is you/your wife not updating it properly. If your wife made 30k x2 and had nothing withheld why are you shocked you had to pay? What does your w4 look like? If they are only withholding 10% or less for you, you certainly haven’t told them your wife was making 120k+

It’s a you and your wife problem with your w4. If you didn’t want any ownership of fixing the issue why post about it? Did you want everyone to tell you that you were getting screwed and you should fight the man? That’s not how it works. You need to resolve it or you will pay for it and it will be your fault, not anyone else’s

Old 02-21-2024, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
So, your wife doubled her income, there was no withholding on that income, and you’re confused about why you’re in the situation you’re in? Really?
No. She didn’t double her income. Maybe $20k more. I am wondering more why my employer only took 8 or 9%. Never noticed this before and it was never a problem until this year. I don’t like giving the govt money all year and getting a refund. I would rather take more home during the year and pay what I owe at the end. I don’t spend it so I have no problem paying it. I am wondering why this year is different yuan all of the previous years. This is the first year we ever got a prepayment penalty. Did her extra $20k put us over the edge? It’s still ridiculous.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I love to argue but that’s not really relevant to your tax situation. The w4 was significantly updated I believe in 2020 and the continuing issue is you/your wife not updating it properly. If your wife made 30k x2 and had nothing withheld why are you shocked you had to pay? What does your w4 look like? If they are only withholding 10% or less for you, you certainly haven’t told them your wife was making 120k+

It’s a you and your wife problem with your w4. If you didn’t want any ownership of fixing the issue why post about it? Did you want everyone to tell you that you were getting screwed and you should fight the man? That’s not how it works. You need to resolve it or you will pay for it and it will be your fault, not anyone else’s
Again, I don’t know how involved you are with W4s but after I filled out any paperwork for a new job, I never addressed it again. I never updated W4s ever at any job I ever had and it was never a problem. I don’t know anyone who touches their W4 at work. I asked a bunch of co work supers today and they don’t give it a second thought.

I am not wondering why we owe money. My wife severely underpaid because of of her employers withheld nearly nothing. But I also noticed that I am under 10%. What % does an employer hold? I certainly never gave a % amount for them to hold so they had to use some formula. I will pay it. I have the money. I asked in this forum because friends said I am crazy to pay $14k and that their guy can easily get it down to much less. I was thinking maybe I am missing something and a cpa or accountant knows the inside info.

Forget I asked. I must have been crazy to think I would get any helpful info. There is always someone like you that has to chime in and try to berate someone for a question. Personally, I don’t give a crap because you are nothing to me but if it makes you feel smart or important, knock yourself out.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,758 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You don’t want a CPA to prepare your return. You want an Enrolled Agent.
This^^^^

A CPA typically is a very poor performing Enrolled Agent (very different objectives and experience and training.)

Old 02-21-2024, 08:49 PM

4,441 posts, read 8,141,278 times
This is hilarious. Multiple people told you that you need to look at your w4 and update withholdings info. Your income may not fluctuate much, but your wife's apparently does so you need to account for that extra income. Extra incoming is going to mean more taxes owed. If you're not going to be paying that at every paycheck, then you can pay quarterly.

I'm someone who has updated their w4, sometimes several times a year. My employee portal makes it a few clicks and I don't have to personally set anything in HR to get it done.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:47 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,625,027 times
Quote:
Again, I don’t know how involved you are with W4s but after I filled out any paperwork for a new job, I never addressed it again.
If you are still confused as to what the issue is, reread it. It’s you. Your lack of attention to your w4 is the issue. It’s your fault, you admit to not doing anything to update your w4 no matter what’s going on in your life. It’s you that’s the issue

Quote:
I never updated W4s ever at any job I ever had and it was never a problem. I don’t know anyone who touches their W4 at work. I asked a bunch of co work supers today and they don’t give it a second thought.
Your coworkers are irrelevant here. It’s still just you

Quote:
I am not wondering why we owe money. My wife severely underpaid because of of her employers withheld nearly nothing.
They withheld nearly nothing because your wife failed at her responsibility in properly updating her w4

Quote:
But I also noticed that I am under 10%. What % does an employer hold? I certainly never gave a % amount for them to hold so they had to use some formula.
They withhold based on your input. How many times do you need to be told how or why this is working the way it is? It’s you. Your fault. How on earth would your employer know how much to withhold without you accurately updating them? They don’t know what other income sources you have, how much you make outside of what they have records for and you expect magically the numbers would just work out? Kinda like the tooth fairy

Quote:
I will pay it. I have the money.
Yay you will

Quote:
I asked in this forum because friends said I am crazy to pay $14k and that their guy can easily get it down to much less. I was thinking maybe I am missing something and a cpa or accountant knows the inside info.
Either you didn’t give your friends all the information necessary similar to your lack of disclosure to your employers or your friends are idiots. CPAs don’t magically erase tax obligations

Quote:
Forget I asked. I must have been crazy to think I would get any helpful info. There is always someone like you that has to chime in and try to berate someone for a question. Personally, I don’t give a crap because you are nothing to me but if it makes you feel smart or important, knock yourself out.
You’ve gotten the correct answer many times and you may not give a crap as that’s what’s gotten into the situation you are in now owing solid 5 figures and the solution is easy but again you don’t give a crap and would rather a magical cpa fix it.

Update both your wife’s and your w4s and pay attention. You’ll be in a better spot next year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance