Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 09:28 AM

7,736 posts, read 3,778,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
So, we underpaid and for the first time ever, got hit with a $400 penalty for underpayment throughout the year. What could a CPA do that HR Block software can’t do?
In some sense, nothing.

In another sense, last year a CPA might have asked you enough questions and determined you needed to have more withheld this year and hence you would have avoided penalty and interest. But then again, you could have asked yourselves the same questions and arrived at the same answer.

It is always important to pay enough such that you are in the safe harbor. https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/i...t-tax-penalty/

I always use a tax attorney to prepare my taxes. I just have to make sure she gets off the ski slopes with enough time left to work on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 10:11 AM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
I love how that works in only one direction. By that same theory, the irs is as guilty for taking too much of our pay throughout the year and sending us a refund later. Same thing. We should charge them a penalty for allowing us to withhold too much money throughout the year.
The IRS is guilty of nothing in the scenario you described. YOU determine how much to send in, not them. They didn’t take anything. The burden is on you to get it right.

Old 02-20-2024, 12:38 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
OP - I still have my CPA cert somewhere in the garage. It's been inactive for about 15 years, but I would do your return for only $599. Plus parts. And labor.

Old 02-20-2024, 01:25 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,417,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
In some sense, nothing.

In another sense, last year a CPA might have asked you enough questions and determined you needed to have more withheld this year and hence you would have avoided penalty and interest. But then again, you could have asked yourselves the same questions and arrived at the same answer.

It is always important to pay enough such that you are in the safe harbor. https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/i...t-tax-penalty/

I always use a tax attorney to prepare my taxes. I just have to make sure she gets off the ski slopes with enough time left to work on them.
Excellent, excellent point. My brother has had his neighbor/friend do his taxes using TurboTax for the price of a beer or three for a decade. (His friend works for some non-tax-department of Intuit.) But 2023 was my brother's first year without a dependent and BAM! turns out he owes more than $8K plus penalties because he failed to adjust any withholding on his various streams of passive and retirement income.

"Why didn't my friend warn me?" he moaned to me. Well, were you paying him to give you tax advice? No, of course you weren't. And you weren't paying enough attention yourself.

Obviously one doesn't need a CPA to do one's taxes. But we have to recognize our limitations and act accordingly. My brother manages his own investments but failed to recognize the blind spot he had where his taxes were concerned.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:16 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It’s not just one way. Also the IRS isn’t the one taking money out of your paycheck, maybe you don’t understand how this works

https://www.irs.gov/payments/interes...ge%20quarterly.
If they’re not taking the money, why do they care when they get it as long as it’s not considered late, which is April 15? What if I made the bulk of the money in November and December? It really is none of their business. They shouldn’t be taking the money in the first place.

My employer withholds the money. When I started my job, they asked how many dependents I have. I said 2. That’s it. That’s all I ever did with every job I ever had. And there was never a problem in 40 years and 5 employers. All of a sudden, not enough money is being withheld. Isn’t my employer at fault for not withholding enough? I wasn’t asked how much to withhold and I never was. My company is taking less than 10%. Why? Don’t they follow some kind of guideline? I never had this problem before.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:17 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
OP - I still have my CPA cert somewhere in the garage. It's been inactive for about 15 years, but I would do your return for only $599. Plus parts. And labor.
Keep it in the garage. I wouldn’t give you $1. I could do it myself with the same results you would get. But thanks anyway.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:04 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
If they’re not taking the money, why do they care when they get it as long as it’s not considered late, which is April 15? What if I made the bulk of the money in November and December? It really is none of their business. They shouldn’t be taking the money in the first place.
Why are you playing what if’s when you don’t even understand what’s going on?

Quote:
My employer withholds the money.
Correct not the irs and based on you input

Quote:
When I started my job, they asked how many dependents I have. I said 2. That’s it. That’s all I ever did with every job I ever had. And there was never a problem in 40 years and 5 employers. All of a sudden, not enough money is being withheld.
It’s clear you anrnet familiar with form w4

Quote:
Isn’t my employer at fault for not withholding enough?
No its 100% your fault

Quote:
I wasn’t asked how much to withhold and I never was.
So what ?

Quote:
My company is taking less than 10%. Why?
Because they are following your input

Quote:
Don’t they follow some kind of guideline? I never had this problem before.
They do and they follow your input, that’s the issue and you don’t understand nor utilize the functionality of your w4

Old 02-21-2024, 10:40 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:

My employer withholds the money. When I started my job, they asked how many dependents I have. I said 2. That’s it. That’s all I ever did with every job I ever had. And there was never a problem in 40 years and 5 employers. All of a sudden, not enough money is being withheld. Isn’t my employer at fault for not withholding enough? I wasn’t asked how much to withhold and I never was. My company is taking less than 10%. Why? Don’t they follow some kind of guideline? I never had this problem before.
OMG.

I am always amazed at how many people have zero understanding about income taxes.

OP, you should probably hire a CPA, at least to educate you.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:11 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:

The first thing I would ask do you actually have 2 dependents and are there any additional income flows.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:33 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
The first thing I would ask do you actually have 2 dependents and are there any additional income flows.
It’s less about the dependents and more about the other income that’s the issue. Both should be added for accuracy but if you earn 100k elsewhere outside of a part time job earning 20k they aren’t going to withhold enough without knowing of the other 100k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance