Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,847,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Burma Shave signs with slogans along the highways mostly along the farmers fence line and near smaller towns across the country.
Enjoy:

Burma Shave Slogans of the Fifties - Page One
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
I owned a Kaiser Jeep!

curb feelers.

Red Skelton!

Lawrence Welk

Blow torches,

Brace and Bits.
Curb feelers! I still see them on occasion, and they remind me of the chrome pieces that went over the top of the side windows to stop rain from coming in. Sort of....

Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,973,606 times
That’s so interesting and brings back more memories. Yeah,,, I could play outside anywhere in town (Mom never worried) and at lunch time the “noon whistle” blew and I’d return home for lunch. You could go anywhere without trouble or worry in “small town USA” back then.

I remember not only my parents would tell me right from wrong and what I was doing at the time, but the neighbors and other town folks always took the time to remind you that you should or shouldn’t be doing things. It took a village to raise a child and they did. If they didn’t tell me that I was doing something wrong they told mom or dad and then I found out. Wow!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 AM

Returnable pop & milk glass bottles!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 29,179 times
Default Your Not So Old

I must be older than thou! I remember voting for the first time for Kennedy. I remember that we were the first to get a TV on our block. I remember thinking that climbing trees and steling little green apples was a really sneaky thing to do. I remember my dad taking the bus to work, so he could pay for the first house that he purchased for our family, that cost $7,000 and my uncle told him he was paying too much. I remember when there were no freeways, just roads. I remember when dogs could roam our neighborhood and they always came back home. I remember having our Irish Setters (2) pull us down the middle of our road in winter, on a sled made for snow. It was amazing!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:22 AM

13,634 posts, read 21,454,901 times
16oz glass soda bottles.
JR Puff and Stuff
6 Million dollar man..........Bionic woman
Pink Panther
I dream of jeannie (reruns anyway)
Rescue 51
Logan's Run
Original Battlestar Galactica
Street of San Francisco
Space Invaders game
Asteroids game
Micheal Jackson's Thriller
Real cartoons on a Saturday morning
leaded gasoline
Smokey and the bandit
Original Charlie's Angel (Jacklyn Smith hubba hubba hubba)

Old 03-21-2008, 04:08 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,511,226 times
When I was in high school, we had a pool.

I would set my speakers in the window of my upstairs window and stack my favorite records on the record player.

Thats how I got music out by the pool.

Michael Jackson's Thriller was one of the records I played and I still have the record.

Remember when phones were rotary dial and so heavy you could kill someone with them. There was NO way to turn off the ringer. I kept one for years that belonged to my Grandmother, to make it stop ringing I took it apart and took the bells out. It had these actual metal, heavy bells inside. I actually used it in my bedroom, I have always liked old things like that.

I remember when we had a TV that was in a gorgeous wooden cabinet, it was its own peice of furniture AND it had an 8 track player in it.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:53 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,552,920 times
I remember going to corner store for my mother to get cigarettes for her at 35 cents a pack and a loaf of bread for 29 cents.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:38 PM

Penny gum ball machines, Nickel candy bars.
And nobody locked the doors to their house.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:25 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,589,798 times
I remember when VCRs first came out, and they were all "top loaders". (Those of you who are as old as I am will know what I'm talking about.)

I also remember rotary dial phones, Lindsey! The one in the kitchen had a cord so long that I'd have to stand on a chair to untangle it (by dangling the phone receiver upside-down so it would twirl and the cord would subsequently unwind). There was no call waiting and no caller ID.

I went to school in the era before backpacks, so we all had to lug our text books by carrying them in our arms. That was pretty miserable. However, back then the schools actually had money, so every student was guaranteed a text book for every class.

I was unimpressed by the first man walking on the moon; I was only five years old, and I was angry because none of my cartoons were on! That stupid moon walk was on every channel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics