Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 05:58 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,117,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

I remember in the 60’s there was a “gas war” in town and the price per gal.
Remember when we did not have to pump our own gas?

I remember when matinee movies were a nickel.
My mom would give me (the oldest) 50 cents and happily get all 3 of us out of her hair during those teacher planning days when there was no school.

More recent memory: When the dollar was strong--and the euro did not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,143,509 times
I remember going to the fair - in the back of my dad's orange pick up truck.

I remember when there was no such thing as internet. (Thank goodness for Al Gore!)

I remember watching The Muppet Show after Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

and 8 tracks.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,035,323 times
Anyone remember 4 track tapes! How about Eskimo yoyos.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:18 AM

27,441 posts, read 27,472,953 times
Well at least you can remember. Some of us cant.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:08 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,392,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I remember going to the fair - in the back of my dad's orange pick up truck.

I remember when there was no such thing as internet. (Thank goodness for Al Gore!)

I remember watching The Muppet Show after Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

and 8 tracks.
I was thinking about the pickup, all us kids would climb in the back and away we would go.

I remember my Dad stopping for hitchhikers

Old 03-21-2008, 08:58 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,242,281 times
Talking ok you got me!

My parents buying A Kaiser

Just to be mean I'm not explaining any of it. You have to look it up on Google. So there.[/quote]

I had to look up Kaiser!
I'm not telling either! lol

Old 03-21-2008, 09:00 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,973,606 times
Good morning!

I knew what a Kaiser was!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
You guys are talking all MODERN stuff. I recall the Ice Box with 25 or 50 lb blocks of ice on top of the fridge. Bread man, Milk man, Ice man,Farmer wagon with fresh Fruit & vegetables all being pulled by a HORSE. Milk bottles with cream at the top. Going to the closed local bakery back door and pay the baker .09c for a loaf of hot bread. Going down the basement and turning the wine press full of grapes to make cider towards making WINE. Cider was delicious. One dip ice cream cone for .03c, double dip .05c, triple dip for .10c. GOOD old days. NOW you know what OLD is really like. Stefhen
Thank you for the memories. I had forgotten running out to the road to get ice chips from the iceman. The milkman leaving milk on the porch (with cream, yes!), farmer wagons, and getting a ladder so we could climb the iron rungs that were in the wooden telephone poles on our street. Good stuff.

Wow! Thanks!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,973,606 times
Burma Shave signs with slogans along the highways mostly along the farmers fence line and near smaller towns across the country.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:35 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I remember carbon paper! For those who don’t know what it is ~ it provides a copy of the original.

I still have some.

I remember when vacuum tubes were used in radios and tvs and the transistor just came out in a small radio.

I remember taking all the tubes out, going to the corner drug store plugging them into a big tester, then buying the one(s) needed and replacing all of the tubes before you could watch Howdy Doody.

I remember when a payphone calls was 10 cents, and phone numbers were only 4 digits.

5 digits for me: 60849. The girl I had a crush on that lived down the street. had 60489. They then added prefixes: AMherst, CHerry, etc. Ours then became 266-0849 (26 for AM).

I remember when, if you knew someones phone number, you knew what part of town they lived in.

I remember when none of our neighbors and my family had inside toilets.

Cold out there! Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I remember the typewriters with the manual carriages; you actually had to push a lever to go to the beginning of the next line! And the individual keys would get stuck together because I typed so fast.

We still have two that work: My grandfathers and my wife's parents.

I remember 45 records and LPs. I remember 8-track tapes, as brief as that was.

I have some of both, and have converted quite a bit of it to CD's.
I remember 5 cent Cokes and where the last machine was in town to get one. Thanks, Mr. Ruan. We all appreciated that machine.

Tire swings, but I think they're still around.

Putting pennies on the train tracks.

The orange, yellow, and lime green shirts and pants they made for boys in the fifties. We were such a colorful bunch!

I remember when I could spend the entire day on my own without my parents worrying about where I was. I would wish that for today's parents and children if it would come true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics