Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:20 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times

Advertisements

Since there's a post by me in this thread, I must have read it before, but don't remember. Surely it's not my age! Interesting to read your take on Oklahoma, SassafrasGypsy. I get so tired of people who feel the need to bash Oklahoma. I can also attest to knowing there is plenty of ignorance in the northern states. Those who think the south has a lock on it are grossly misinformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 11:31 AM

13 posts, read 15,482 times
I think that the Oklahoma drawl is more common in those raised in more rural or country areas than those from college towns or OKC. I can't imagine your "Fargo" sound mattering anymore to people with a drawl than it would matter to you about the way they speak. As a matter of fact, I think you may find people liking the way you sound.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Oklahoma is mostly outside of the Southern accent territory. Many on OK don't even consider themselves Southern, anyway.

The OK accent is actually more "Midwest" and neutral sounding. It doesn't sound Northern or Southern. It's Midland. Minnesota's accent on the other hand is separated from the rest of the Midwest with its heavy Northern sound influenced by immigrants of Scandinavia, so for this reason of it being a true Northern dialect, it's considered a separate category of "Upper Midwest", having a MUCH different than the typical Midland dialect heard in the Midwest.

In Oklahoma people say the "o" sound differently. Hello sounds more like "hell-eh-oh" whereas in Minnesota it sounds like "hell-awww" where the "o" is stretched out.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:09 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I'm moving to Oklahoma soon- I'm hoping it's more like the midwest than the south because I've been living in the southern states and the people are mostly uneducated, lazy and bible thumping hippocrates, when it comes to politics especially. I'm just looking forward to getting away from that culture and a place that is more open-minded and educated. Honestly, I'm just happy to get out of "bible belt"
Calls people uneducated, yet can't spell.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 PM

19 posts, read 25,024 times
I'm originally from the Ark-La-Tex. I've lived in Dallas, Little Rock, St Louis, Omaha, and Columbia South Carolina. My grandparents were from SE Oklahoma and I have family in Tulsa. Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and just about all of the rest of Oklamoha are definitely Southern. Not Alabama deep South, but Southern light. However, a light beer is still a beer. There's a "redneck" stigma that comes with being Southern. I'm assuming that's why a lot of young Tulsans on this board are obsessed with trying to be Mid-Western. That being said, I'll acknowledge cable tv and transplants from other regions have watered down the Southern accent in younger Okies. But all of this Oklahoma Mid-West talk is crushed with one name, REBA. What part of REBA's accent or mannerisms say Mid-West???

Old 03-16-2017, 07:20 AM

420 posts, read 804,770 times
There's absolutely nothing "Midwestern" at all about Oklahoma.

Oklahoma isn't "southern" either, but it has more in common with the south than any other region. Calling Oklahoma "Southern light" is fairly accurate. I consider Oklahoma and Texas to be in their own class in terms of regional categorization, but both Oklahoman and Texan culture have a strong southern influence and certainly more in common with the south than they do with the west coast, Midwest or northeast.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:16 AM

I agree that Oklahoma and Texas are distinct from the rest of the South. Oklahoma/Texas is to the South what the Mid-West is to the North. The North is split into the North East and Mid-West. Maybe the South should be split into two groups with Oklahoma/Texas being one of the Southern groups and the other Southern (deep South) states being the other.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 AM

You mentioned Oklahoma isn't "Southern." Somebody needs to tell that to Reba, Garth Brooks, Blake Shelton, and my numerous friends and family that live throughout Oklahoma. They all speak and act Southern.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:46 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane C View Post
You mentioned Oklahoma isn't "Southern." Somebody needs to tell that to Reba, Garth Brooks, Blake Shelton, and my numerous friends and family that live throughout Oklahoma. They all speak and act Southern.

Reba and Blake Shelton are both from the part of Oklahoma that is southern and nobody really debates that. Garth Brooks is from the OKC area. Actually the town he is from (Yukon) has a history of Czech settlement which is certainly not "southern".

Old 03-16-2017, 09:47 AM

Ancestry doesn't determine Southern. I highly doubt most Czech's in Oklahoma still speak and act like people in Eastern Europe. The original Czech immigrants in Oklahoma moved to the South and their offspring were born into Southern culture. There's a town called Slovac, Arkansas. Everyone in the town is either Slovac or half Slovac. But their Eastern European surnames are the only remaining connection to Eastern Europe. Everyone there speaks and acts Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City