Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 09:30 AM

15,000 posts, read 9,926,264 times

Advertisements

There's no such thing as cinder blocks... they're called concrete blocks. However it's important to know even if you have a concrete block home, the roof is still made of wood. Wall don't collapse during hurricanes, even wood walls, it's the roof that fails followed by the ceiling collapse. Lets assume windows are covered or you have impact windows and doors.

The manner in which homes fail progressively in storms are:

1. garage door blows in
then
2. vented soffits blow in
then
3. roof fails from wind under the roof sheathing (attic space) and ceiling drywall collapses from saturated insulation.

To prevent this failure mode from occurring you need a reinforced garage door or cover with panels and all soffits must have structural support, no aluminum channels where the soffit slips in. If you can push the soffits in by hand, they will fail.

During my career I responded to over 50+ storms in the SE United States. Hurricane Andrew changed everything for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 01:26 PM

3,546 posts, read 2,546,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That was not my post you quoted here. The latest stats for the FL Department of Health reports shown on the link for the number of Floridians who get fluoridated water from their municipal water is from 2019,, and it shows the largest and most populated counties put fluoridate their municipal water supply. The smaller, primarily rural counties, where it's likely most residents get their water from private wells, are the counties where it shows no fluoridated municipal water supply. I see Charlotte county, where I live, is among those listed without a fluoridated water supply, though I'd have to see if that has changed over the last 5 years. We have well water, so I don't keep up with the information.

They claim newer manufactured homes have been built to withstand hurricane force winds, and in fact I was surprised to see how many manufactured homes fared pretty well in this neck of the woods from the 140+ mph winds of Ian. I certainly hope so, as they're being sold and installed in manufactured home developments like hotcakes, and still being touted as affordable housing to the throngs of transplants moving to FL and anyone else who's interested.

I agree with you, though, I've been through a number of hurricanes, several major hurricanes with property destruction, andI wouldn`t consider anything but CBS with stucco. Reinforced with rebar as per code.
It's also not my quote you quoted, it was twinbrook9's quote. The quote tree had broken down back on page 1. I hit the quote button and it quoted you, posting as someone else, you did it quoting me, posting as someone else, twinbrook9 did it -

I fixed it above in this post just now, hopefully that'll straighten things out going forward.

Old 03-16-2024, 01:18 PM

747 posts, read 1,317,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with Kyle on this. Winter Haven is really a hidden gem. As a small city it has a lot of amenities to offer, including health care. It is also easy commuting distance to Lakeland or Orlando if need be. I would check into it.
I hope Winter Haven stays that way. Being boundary restricted by other municipalities has its perks, but WH is also at the whim of said municipalities and runs the risk of densifying its core if it wants to hold onto 2nd place in population. Also, look for increased housing along the ridge (US 27) and in the Lake Region/Bartow area especially once the CPP construction completes and previously inaccessible land becomes readily available for development.

Polk County has changed a lot...

Old 03-26-2024, 12:27 PM

2,970 posts, read 5,029,557 times
I moved to Florida in 2010 and at the time it was a true bargain. Housing was dirt cheap due to the financial situation. Taxes were also low and insurance was reasonable if you had a home up to code. I enjoy Florida and will stay until it becomes too much of a financial drain. As for those looking to relocate now, I would suggest you research alternatives.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:00 AM

27,330 posts, read 44,343,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I moved to Florida in 2010 and at the time it was a true bargain. Housing was dirt cheap due to the financial situation. Taxes were also low and insurance was reasonable if you had a home up to code. I enjoy Florida and will stay until it becomes too much of a financial drain. As for those looking to relocate now, I would suggest you research alternatives.
I agree although there are still areas of the state where it is affordable for the average person. You don't hear much about Gainesville weirdly enough given it has the popular checkmark as a college town (U of Florida) with a quality university medical center attached. It doesn't offer that unique (like it or not) vibe of The Villages, but has it perks for those who prefer a more vibrant and intellectual living environment.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:11 AM

386 posts, read 291,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
.Your dental costs might be higher though because Florida refuses to fluoridate its water.

I cant speak as regards to the fluoridation BUT I can speak to EXTREME dental cost in Fl , I was quoted by 3 different oral surgeons to have 2 wisdom teeth removed all 3 were OVER 4k with insurance. I finally had it done here in SC for $400 also with insurance BUT cost without insurance was around $1200

Old 03-27-2024, 09:21 AM

17,632 posts, read 22,410,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East2West&back View Post
My parents relocated to Florida (The Villages, specifically) back in 1996 after my Dad retired. Like many from the northeast, they had grown tired of the high taxes and cold winters and decided that Florida was a better choice for them in the final stage of their lives. I have thought that I might follow in their footsteps and also retire in Florida, whether that be in The Villages or someplace nearby. But I'm not sure if that is a reasonable expectation anymore. I hear and read a lot about the higher costs of living in Florida, particularly when it comes to things such as homeowners insurance, car insurance and utility costs. Of course the cost of housing has also gone up since my parents moved to Florida, but I do still see some (what I'd consider decent) manufactured homes in central Florida that I might be able to afford. The question is, will I be able to afford the other costs of living in Florida now?

I'd like to hear from those who have either manufactured housing or lower cost (under $200K) homes in Ocala, Lady Lake and The Villages and your experiences with car insurance, homeowners insurance and utilities to get an idea of what to realistically expect for these costs now.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Utilities/taxes/insurance have gone up everywhere since 1996 (28 years ago!?!?!)

Manufactured homes are going to be expensive to insure, the windstorm insurance is definitely an issue. Its basically a trailer mounted to the ground after the wheels are removed.

Retirement in Florida clearly isn't a dream, thousands of people do it every year! That being said the dream might just cost more now.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat View Post
I cant speak as regards to the fluoridation BUT I can speak to EXTREME dental cost in Fl , I was quoted by 3 different oral surgeons to have 2 wisdom teeth removed all 3 were OVER 4k with insurance. I finally had it done here in SC for $400 also with insurance BUT cost without insurance was around $1200
Dentists base their rates on their overhead/staff etc. Clearly in popular areas the rents are higher, the staff pay is higher and therefore the dental work has to cost more!

If you were to price out the same work in NYC, guess what: The Florida dental prices will look like a steal for the exact same reasons!

Old 03-27-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
There's no such thing as cinder blocks... they're called concrete blocks. However it's important to know even if you have a concrete block home, the roof is still made of wood. Wall don't collapse during hurricanes, even wood walls, it's the roof that fails followed by the ceiling collapse. Lets assume windows are covered or you have impact windows and doors.
https://denalibuildingsupply.com/pro...Sd-dRSANoivv_k
This supply warehouse calls them "Concrete Cinder Blocks"

Old 03-27-2024, 09:34 AM

[quote=dontaskwhy;66492535]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post

As a longtime resident of Florida and almost 20 years in a manufactured home, we managed OK through more than one nearby hurricane with no damage to our home. We lost dozens of trees but not the home. I have seen pictures/videos in areas of FL devastated by hurricanes though.
But do you feel that is because you have a well built manufactured home or you were simply lucky not taking a direct hit?

I've lived in SE Florida for almost 50 years. Plenty of hurricanes, never had a single dollar in claims through any storm. A couple of storms passed within 20 miles or less of my house. I had CBS concrete homes, full shutters etc. but I also think I got lucky too.

Newer construction is fantastic but I do think if a tornado touches down during a storm that damage will certainly occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala