Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 12:57 PM

18 posts, read 7,543 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am here to ask a question because I don't know if I am being too sensitive or if there is something off about a conversation I had with neighbors yesterday. I do not know them well but have interacted with them before while walking or attending a get together at another neighbor's house. These neighbors I am talking about have said, "If you see us outside, come over anytime and visit." Well yesterday, I went by to say hello and asked the female how they had been doing. I was there to say hello. She was pleasant and cordial, and we had a nice conversation. The husband then came outside and said hello but then asked, "What can we do for you?" Was this weird or is this normal? I am asking because it seems a little off putting, and this man has always been very nice in the past. He was still cordial but just asking me what they could do for me was odd. I don't want to have issues with my neighbors but I almost feel like I said or did something wrong at some point. Does anyone have any ideas about why he could have said this? Thank you to anyone who can offer some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 01:17 PM

22,638 posts, read 47,790,777 times
Nothing wrong with asking why you showed up at their house.
Why on earth would you think that passive aggressive?

What did you say when he asked "What can we do for you?" ?

Old 04-17-2024, 01:17 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,252,450 times
Maybe just clarifying if you came over for a little chat or if you needed to borrow a cup of sugar or something? Why read more into it for no reason?

Old 04-17-2024, 01:19 PM

22,638 posts, read 47,790,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Maybe just clarifying if you came over for a little chat or if you needed to borrow a cup of sugar or something? Why read more into it for no reason?
Seriously!

Old 04-17-2024, 01:26 PM

I just said that I came by to say hello. I just thought his reaction to my being there was very different from his usual demeanor. Before he kept saying, "Come over and sit with us!" He also stopped to chat one day when I was outside. But yesterday he acted very differently. I have had some issues with someone he knows so I immediately wondered if some gossip had affected his behavior. I have just never heard "What can we do for you?" That sounds almost like I was there because I wanted something from them, rather than simply making a visit, as he had asked me to do several times in the past. I thought to myself that this was odd... this same man who was so eager beaver for me to visit is now asking me what they can do for me.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:31 PM

I hope I am not reading too much into it but I have never heard a "How can we help you" in social situations. Only in business situations do I hear this. It just seemed odd.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:43 PM

3,156 posts, read 1,615,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynneb_63 View Post
Hello everyone, I am here to ask a question because I don't know if I am being too sensitive or if there is something off about a conversation I had with neighbors yesterday. I do not know them well but have interacted with them before while walking or attending a get together at another neighbor's house. These neighbors I am talking about have said, "If you see us outside, come over anytime and visit." Well yesterday, I went by to say hello and asked the female how they had been doing. I was there to say hello. She was pleasant and cordial, and we had a nice conversation. The husband then came outside and said hello but then asked, "What can we do for you?" Was this weird or is this normal? I am asking because it seems a little off putting, and this man has always been very nice in the past. He was still cordial but just asking me what they could do for me was odd. I don't want to have issues with my neighbors but I almost feel like I said or did something wrong at some point. Does anyone have any ideas about why he could have said this? Thank you to anyone who can offer some insight.
I don't think you did anything wrong. I think the husband interrupted the conversation for some purpose. Perhaps there was something he wanted the wife to do for him. I wouldn't like it if I was having a conversation with a neighbor and my husband came out of the house and took control of the conversation in that way. I would have reminded him that I was talking them up on their suggestion to stop and visit and was simply enjoying a nice chat. It is up to the wife to end the socializing; not the husband if that was his intent.

Last edited by Maddie104; 04-17-2024 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-17-2024, 01:54 PM

2,004 posts, read 973,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynneb_63 View Post
"If you see us outside, come over anytime and visit." Well yesterday, I went by to say hello and asked the female how they had been doing. I was there to say hello. She was pleasant and cordial, and we had a nice conversation. The husband then came outside and said hello but then asked, "What can we do for you?"

He wasn't outside so he wasn't privy to the conversation you were having with his wife, who was presumably, already outside. No biggie, unless the wife wasn't outside, which is what they were specific about in reference to you being welcomed.

I don't ever just go ambling over to a neighbor's house unless they are currently outside, or I've texted first to make sure they aren't busy.

Old 04-17-2024, 02:32 PM

Hi Maddie, thank you for your input. The wife was outside already and waved. I then walked over to ask how she was doing. In the past, she has been sick. She is a quiet and reserved type but the husband is usually very outgoing and overly friendly. When the husband came out, he didn't want anything from her. He was looking in some cabinets in the garage as she and I were talking, said hello in a cordial tone but then asked "What can we do for you" in a much less friendly tone. Again, I said that I was just saying hello. If this had been someone else, I would not think much of it. But this was the same guy who has been insistent when asking for me to come over. I don't want to beat a dead horse with this issue, but it is concerning. Thanks again for your post.

Old 04-17-2024, 02:35 PM

61,916 posts, read 87,450,383 times
You could say: nothing. Just wanted to say Hello...

Maybe he was just curious and wanted to be helpful in case you actually needed some help with something.
I wouldn't dwell on that.

How was the rest of your visit? Did you left immediately after that question? What was your reply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships