Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 04:55 PM

217 posts, read 141,688 times

Advertisements

I want to visit Santa Fe. I hear it gets windy. I hear best time to visit is Sep - Nov but I missed my window
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 10:01 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I used to visit in late March before I moved here from the Midwest. It was pleasant and sunny in Albuquerque with several windy days a week. It was still winter at home but shirtsleeves or light sweater weather in ABQ. Santa Fe was cooler. The mountains are still snowy. The desert nights are still cold. The weather is changeable.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:37 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The climate has changed. March used to be spectacular, in that one day you'd have spring weather, sunny and close to 70 degrees, the next day you'd have a blizzard, then Spring would sproing again the next, along with a short rain shower, and back and forth and up and down all month. Sometimes a blizzard followed by blazing sun and spring twitters and chirps all in the same day. That doesn't happen anymore. Late March used to be windy, but in the 2nd decade of the 2000's, that got pushed back to April, and some years the winds would fizzle out altogether.

So it's unpredictable anymore. But you could get some snow now and then; bring a warm jacket. An occasional snowfall is possible even in April. But yes, March is a good time to visit. Enjoy.

Old 11-28-2021, 06:53 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
No such thing as a normal temperature or wind. You can have wind any time of the year. Always has been this way. I remember one year my daugther's birthday (March 16th) was 88 for a high then two years later it was 50 and windy. I live in Las Cruces in Southern New Mexico. We had 60 miles an hour wind with gusts up to 90 in May a couple of years ago. '

Just plan your travel, come here and live life here to your fullest while you are here.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:35 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
There is no getting around it: New Mexico is windy. But it's a beautiful place to visit. When I lived there for a year and a 1/2 (far north central, east of the Sangre de Cristo mountains) I found it very frequently quite windy, so when you do visit make preparation for that and just enjoy yourself. In March a lot of places still have snow but it's mostly in the mountains. There are also a lot of beautiful sunny days that warm up after a day of snow and it's really pretty to see and easy to get around.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:04 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
If our current extreme drought conditions persist (which is likely), the spring winds will also bring dust.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:59 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
If our current extreme drought conditions persist (which is likely), the spring winds will also bring dust.
March used to have slightly above normal precipitation (for Albuquerque!). But there seems to have been a change over the last ten years. It has become quite dry, and usually sunny. Winds pick up and increase into April. But if you don't mind cold nights and snow in the mountains, it can be quite a nice month to visit , especially later in the month and after daylight savings begins and we begin nice long days again.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:43 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Right. It's a La Nina year, which means a dry winter for the Southwest, probably lasting into spring.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:03 PM

217 posts, read 141,688 times
Is there anything special that I should bring with me on my trip? I've read that it is a good idea to bring lots of moisturizers as it is very dry (my skin is very sensitive too!).

I've also read to invest in a wind breaker jacket, but I don't know where to buy a good one; most have such bad reviews -- also I am supper skinny and long so i find it hard finding clothes that fit me right.

My trip is getting pushed back to early April or maybe even May.

I'm thinking of visiting the bio-park.

How is public transportation and ride share service? (i;m going to ABQ instead of Santa Fe)

Old 03-09-2022, 09:00 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton1989 View Post
Is there anything special that I should bring with me on my trip? I've read that it is a good idea to bring lots of moisturizers as it is very dry (my skin is very sensitive too!).

I've also read to invest in a wind breaker jacket, but I don't know where to buy a good one; most have such bad reviews -- also I am supper skinny and long so i find it hard finding clothes that fit me right.

My trip is getting pushed back to early April or maybe even May.

I'm thinking of visiting the bio-park.

How is public transportation and ride share service? (i;m going to ABQ instead of Santa Fe)
No need for a windbreaker jacket! By May, you will most definitely be just shorts and a t-shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico