Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,861 times

Advertisements

Hang on Raton, here I come. . Transforming the old pipers restaurant into something wonderful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
Where are you moving from. I always stay in Trinidad but if your opening a new restaurant I'll drive down the hill to Raton. Like when?

Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM

802 posts, read 983,675 times
i've been scanning the web all over New Mexico and Colorado for my next relocation spot and i think i just decided on Raton, too. at least, through the summer.
i still remember my last visit, falling on my butt trying to learn to ski, barely able to catch on to the lift, then skidding down the icy slope on my back. humiliated then, laughing now. i just need a final visit to select affordable housing, then move my stuff. looking forward to the magical summer climate and scenery.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Do you want Raton because it is closer to Taos? I've sort of been looking at Trinidad. Actually, the Santa Fe Ranch subdivisiion which is 35 acre types on the Raton pass. Where have you looked in Raton?

Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Do you want Raton because it is closer to Taos? I've sort of been looking at Trinidad. Actually, the Santa Fe Ranch subdivisiion which is 35 acre types on the Raton pass. Where have you looked in Raton?
taos proximity is one reason. i would love living there if i could afford it.
colorado proximity is another reason. hard to decide on which state for
permanent (and winter) housing. trinidad is an alternative if no vacancies in raton. anywhere in the vicinity would be ok with me.
just think raton is a unique and somewhat ornery town to be involved with.

Santa Fe Ranch is interesting, but
something to be investigated in person, i'd think. i suspect its hidden
realities may not be like the web sites.

seems to be only two apt complexes in raton, but i'm hoping a house will
open up by the time i get there. or an extended rental at a motel.
watching craigslist. the Range paper doesn't show any classifieds.
might be a long shot at finding anything suitable quickly.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 AM

Good Luck! I've investigated the Santa Fe Ranch and the people are really nice and mostly retired which was a plus to me. Although, you would have to own and I am wondering what the cost of building will be there. Trinidad might have more rentals if you can't find one in Raton.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:46 PM

looks like trinidad has a couple of very affordable places, but i can't really tell
if they are ok or just dumps. have you ever seen the Savoy Hotel or the Prospect
Plaza Apts?

Old 10-03-2019, 02:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,775 times
I'm on my way to retire in Raton, have a home in escrow. Been flipping homes for over 20 years, one at a time, while living in them. Last three were in the Palm Springs, CA area. Sure it has beautiful palm trees, and every activity and amenity you can think of, but cost of living, Hot Summers, and HOA life has caused me to look for peace and quiet, in a very restful and calm place. Researched a lot of towns in NM, AZ, NV... Raton, despite the name, jumped at us. It has all the main material needs one has to have to be content and happy. At least me... I've been searching through the Raton strings and haven't yet seen anyone from there comment. Maybe they don't want to be invaded and overtaken? Can't say I blame them. I've gone onto their city websites and go over their activities and events and it just seems to be very relaxed, but also pleasant. I don't need to be sitting by a pool under a palm tree and listening to the local gossip. Looking across the valley and seeing the high plains desert and mountains sounds perfect to me after growing up in SE Idaho, their winters cannot be anywhere as bad as I knew on the farm. So, when I get to be a local there, I will comment and let you know how it is... Or, NOT. <grin>

Old 10-03-2019, 11:19 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geojody View Post
Looking across the valley and seeing the high plains desert and mountains sounds perfect to me after growing up in SE Idaho, their winters cannot be anywhere as bad as I knew on the farm. So, when I get to be a local there, I will comment and let you know how it is... Or, NOT. <grin>
We have been through Raton several times on our trips to Colorado, but never stopped. The largest three threads about Raton here on City-Data are at:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...-raton-nm.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...-raton-nm.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...urg-raton.html
Hope that helps and good luck on your adventure!

Old 10-04-2019, 10:26 AM

By the way, I never made it to Raton. Spent a few years in Pueblo West, Colorado instead. After a couple of heart attacks, I need lower altitude and good public golf courses. Now looking hard at Amarillo, Texas. short drive to NM and CO from there. TX legalized high-CBD hemp this year, if that interests anybody. Equivalent to 60's era ditch weed, but they flavor it with the good stuff. Works well for back pain and sleep. Pay attention, New Mexico. I hear you are thinking about it. Don't want to hijack the Raton thread, though. I've been through Raton many times. It is one of those small towns that you want to like a lot, but something isn't quite right. Raton fast food servers even warned me not to move there. Sometimes, you can pick up clues by searching out local news articles.

http://krtnradio.com/news/
https://www.ratonnm.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?CID=1

No Lotaburger? That's a clue.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 10-04-2019 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico