Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 06:20 PM

451 posts, read 422,357 times

Advertisements

OK back to the topic folks ....Raton NM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2023, 08:01 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I have to admit I really don't know who these people are. Recently I heard the term WFH used for people who still live close to work, because they only work from home a couple of days a week, and are expected at the office on the other days. So they're not moving to Raton or anywhere far from major cities where their jobs are. It seems most WFH people post-Covid have hybrid jobs and still have to show up at an office somewhere on a regular basis.

What I meant about airports is that more people today need or want to be close to major airports, with close (if not easy) access, something else Raton doesn't offer, and another reason that small town America (and Europe) is drying up and blowing away. At least Raton has Amtrak and I-25, which Taos does not, and they are about the same size. And different age cohorts like to have a variety of dining options that are not fast food, another area where small towns are lacking. That would be a deal-breaker for me.
Well, since you mention Taos, it has plenty of dining options. It's a bit of an exception for a small town. And I'm not sure about the current status, but it used to have a shuttle to ABQ's sunport. With the nearby Olympic-quality ski area, it's a bit of a resort town in its own right, a tourist destination, which Raton is not. Taos is more likely to attract WFH people, than Raton.

I guess I was wishfully thinking, earlier. It would be nice if Raton managed to hold its own.

Old 11-12-2023, 02:17 PM

5,018 posts, read 7,407,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, since you mention Taos, it has plenty of dining options. It's a bit of an exception for a small town. And I'm not sure about the current status, but it used to have a shuttle to ABQ's sunport. With the nearby Olympic-quality ski area, it's a bit of a resort town in its own right, a tourist destination, which Raton is not. Taos is more likely to attract WFH people, than Raton.

I guess I was wishfully thinking, earlier. It would be nice if Raton managed to hold its own.
Taos is a destination for world travelers, and a UNESCO World Heritage site. Taos Ski Valley is a resort town in its own right. Raton has little of interest to tourists so doesn't have the kind of hospitality and restaurant business to support a large influx of visitors year-round like Taos does.

I have stayed in Raton as a base for exploring the surroundings, like Lake Maloya, Johnson Mesa, and Capulin Volcano. Beautiful places but not high on anyone's list.

This year Raton had its first LGBTQ Pride Festival and parade. So they're trying to catch up to the 1970's.

Old 11-12-2023, 03:46 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Whoa, I wonder how that went down with all the rural people, who lean conservative. Of course, they are right over the hill from Trinidad.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:53 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,296,095 times
Default No Lotta Burger ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
By the way, I never made it to Raton. Spent a few years in Pueblo West, Colorado instead. After a couple of heart attacks, I need lower altitude and good public golf courses. Now looking hard at Amarillo, Texas. short drive to NM and CO from there. TX legalized high-CBD hemp this year, if that interests anybody. Equivalent to 60's era ditch weed, but they flavor it with the good stuff. Works well for back pain and sleep. Pay attention, New Mexico. I hear you are thinking about it. Don't want to hijack the Raton thread, though. I've been through Raton many times. It is one of those small towns that you want to like a lot, but something isn't quite right. Raton fast food servers even warned me not to move there. Sometimes, you can pick up clues by searching out local news articles.

http://krtnradio.com/news/
https://www.ratonnm.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?CID=1

No Lotaburger? That's a clue.
What even TUCSON has a Lottaburger !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico