Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Nebraska had a lot of German-Americans long before even WW1, because of immigration from the 1840s-1890, or so. My own family was part of that wave...
So did Texas. Both states also had alot of Czechs move there long before WWII. Texas is home to the oldest Polish settlement in the USA, Panna Maria.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:11 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Fortune 500 Companies- TX 54 NE 5 lol

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

If we're goin by CFS....my idea of how "big a river is" is by average width...

Brazos River
River in Texas
The Brazos River, called the Rio de los Brazos de Dios by early Spanish explorers, is the 11th-longest river in the United States at 1,280 miles from its headwater source at the head of Blackwater Draw, ... Wikipedia
Length: 840.1 mi
Discharge: 8,387 cubic feet per second
Source: Blackwater Draw
Mouth: Gulf of Mexico
Cities: Waco, Richmond, Dallas, Bryan, College Station, Fort Worth, Lubbock, Abilene, Graham, Calvert
Bridges: Waco Suspension Bridge

Guadalupe River
River in Texas
The Guadalupe River runs from Kerr County, Texas to San Antonio Bay on the Gulf of Mexico. It is a popular destination for rafting, fly fishing, and canoeing. Wikipedia
Discharge: 1,201 cubic feet per second
Length: 230 mi
Basin area: 1,257 mi²
Source: Canyon Lake
Mouth: San Antonio Bay
Cities: New Braunfels, Kerrville, Seguin, Victoria, Boerne, Gonzales, Cuero

The Colorado River in Austin, as seen from Mount Bonnell.
Country United States
State Texas
Source
- location Dawson County
- elevation 3,280 ft (1,000 m) [1]
- coordinates 32°40′47″N 101°43′51″W [2]
Mouth Matagorda Bay
- location Gulf of Mexico, at Matagorda County, Texas
- elevation 0 ft (0 m) [1]
- coordinates 28°35′41″N 95°58′59″WCoordinates: 28°35′41″N 95°58′59″W [2]
Length 862 mi (1,387 km)
Basin 39,900 sq mi (103,341 km2) [3]
Discharge for Bay City
- average 2,609 cu ft/s (74 m3/s)
- max 84,100 cu ft/s (2,381 m3/s)
- min 0 cu ft/s (0 m3/s)

Rio Grande
River in North America
The Rio Grande is one of the principal rivers in the southwest United States and northern Mexico. The Rio Grande rises from south-central Colorado in the United States and flows to the Gulf of Mexico. Wikipedia
Length: 1,896 mi
Discharge: 2,401 cubic feet per second
Basin area: 182,202 mi²
Mouth: Gulf of Mexico
Sources: Rio Grande National Forest, San Juan Mountains, Canby Mountain, Continental Divide of the Americas, Colorado
Countries: Mexico, United States of America
Bridges: Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, More

The Red River, or sometimes the Red River of the South, is a major tributary of the Mississippi and Atchafalaya rivers in the southern United States of America. The river was named for the red-bed country of its watershed. Wikipedia
Length: 1,360 mi
Discharge: 57,000 cubic feet per second
Sources: Buck Creek, Prairie Dog Town Fork Red River
Mouths: Atchafalaya River, Mississippi River
Cities: Shreveport, Bossier City, Wichita Falls, Denison, Texarkana, Arkansas, Fulton, Elmer, Newlin, Texas

Using your own site, USGS...Platte River is currently at 7,340 USGS Current Conditions for USGS 06805500 Platte River at Louisville, Nebr.

Brazos River is currently at 13,100 USGS Current Conditions for USGS 08108700 Brazos Rv at SH 21 nr Bryan, TX

The next time YOU post, please state some facts that are accurate and not "what you think of feel".
Everything I posted was a fact and I backed them up with resources.

I see you posted the map with no resource info. What the map does show is how many fortune 500 companies are just in Omaha not the entire state. The numbers I quoted were in the USA today newspaper about 3 weeks ago.

The Discharge rate that you posted (per Wikipedia) is the maximum that the river can put out at the termination of the river whether it's the gulf of Mexico or just another river. The discharge means nothing to the people up stream that depend on the river for irrigation. That's why I posted real continuous flow at a point upstream that were current to this day and time. Just to make it simpler, it means that if you walk out on a bridge and look down at the river (at those locations I posted) the numbers I reported is what you will see. The maximum discharge rate is a worthless number that may only be valid during floods or rainy seasons and does not represent any value to this thread.

I'm not sure what the agriculture info you posted is supposed to represent since you didn't explain your point so I can't comment.

The way I see it you keep listing info to exaggerate your point and then you don't put the effort into the post to give real time information. This thread is about real time comparisons between Nebraska and Texas.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:26 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 01:08 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Everything I posted was a fact and I backed them up with resources.

I see you posted the map with no resource info. What the map does show is how many fortune 500 companies are just in Omaha not the entire state. The numbers I quoted were in the USA today newspaper about 3 weeks ago.

The Discharge rate that you posted (per Wikipedia) is the maximum that the river can put out at the termination of the river whether it's the gulf of Mexico or just another river. The discharge means nothing to the people up stream that depend on the river for irrigation. That's why I posted real continuous flow at a point upstream that were current to this day and time. Just to make it simpler, it means that if you walk out on a bridge and look down at the river (at those locations I posted) the numbers I reported is what you will see. The maximum discharge rate is a worthless number that may only be valid during floods or rainy seasons and does not represent any value to this thread.

I'm not sure what the agriculture info you posted is supposed to represent since you didn't explain your point so I can't comment.

The way I see it you keep listing info to exaggerate your point and then you don't put the effort into the post to give real time information. This thread is about real time comparisons between Nebraska and Texas.

thats because the 5 fortune 500 companies Nebraska has are all in Omaha. Texas has 54, sorry if this is too difficult for you......Texas is No. 2 for Fortune 500 companies, topping California | Dallas Morning News

https://www.geolounge.com/fortune-50...tate-for-2015/

the agriculture info I posted, was to confirm that my point that TX contributes much more to the nation than Nebraska, to which you said "what exactly does TX contribute?" or somethin along those lines...Again, sorry this is so difficult for you.....

bla bla bla about the river stuff, now your just picking and choosing to salvage your idiotic claim that "Texas Rivers are as big as Nebraska creeks" I proved you wrong on that with plenty of info, including the USGS that you yourself used.....

Old 07-18-2016, 02:05 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,560 times
I've seen a lot of pissing contests in my time, I think this is the first one measured in CFS!

Old 10-20-2016, 05:58 PM

140 posts, read 139,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicoan View Post
Can someone list a few of them?
Nebraska isnt getting overrun by the Mexican Mafia. They've got that going for them

Old 11-02-2016, 10:43 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
I've seen a lot of pissing contests in my time, I think this is the first one measured in CFS!
Lol same here.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:37 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
If you enjoy trees, outdoor activities, more than two seasons, Nebraska is a much better fit.

I pick Nebraska alone so I don't have to deal with living in a state that seems to embarrass the US on a rather frequent basis.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallombrosa View Post
On the misery index, which is worse - Texas summers or Nebraska winters?
Nebraska winters would be worse for me

Old 11-05-2016, 06:58 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Heard that.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:40 PM

37 posts, read 51,778 times
Easy... Nebraskans are nice folks and their college team win games. Smiles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska