Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,890 times

Advertisements

Same in Millard, though the thunder has become very infrequent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,003 times
Okay we got a little storm, there a still big tornadoes in north central Kansas and are now moving into Thayer County, and lines of storms here in central Nebraska. There is damage at the gas stations at the Aurora exit and a farmhouse was destroyed north of the interstate. I have also heard that the Drive Inn Theatre in Kearney was damaged. Also lots of pivots and grain bins damaged in many rural areas.

Glad Omaha area missed it.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 PM

Your right, a new cell just moved in from Kansas on course for Lincoln

Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,087 times
Well, we were outside painting in Cody all day, and we saw the storm cell coming in. It was black and huge and magnificent, and the wind picked up to a steady blow of about 40-50 mph. There was a lot of thunder and thick cloud to ground bolts of lightning - and then it just blew by, heading NE, leaving us with a light 15 minute shower and some very wind-dried paint. It looked really bad but it blew around us. Then there was an incredible double rainbow in the east as the sun played across its back end.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Well, we were outside painting in Cody all day, and we saw the storm cell coming in. It was black and huge and magnificent, and the wind picked up to a steady blow of about 40-50 mph. There was a lot of thunder and thick cloud to ground bolts of lightning - and then it just blew by, heading NE, leaving us with a light 15 minute shower and some very wind-dried paint. It looked really bad but it blew around us. Then there was an incredible double rainbow in the east as the sun played across its back end.
You will come to appreciate the weather - incredible shows - our camera gets lots of use during storms (including gettng a rainbow last week). Tried to get lightining pictures last night - but man that's hard to do with a normal camera

Old 05-30-2008, 07:38 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,719 times
My favorites are those ones that only seem to happen in the spring in the Sandhills. Where the sky is absolutely blacker than pitch and boiling in the west and but there's still sun shining east of it making the hills bright Irish green... Or the buildings in town shine.
But those pictures always happen when I don't have a camera! :*(

Old 05-30-2008, 08:52 AM

94 posts, read 337,055 times
I have cousins that live in Kearney, one lost half of his house, my other cousin was upstairs "like a fool" and he heard his house starting to crack. Two houses north of them a tree was uprooted and tossed against their house. As the storms approached they where like everyone else outside watching the tornadoes in the distance, when all of the sudden the wind got horendous and they could barely make it inside, Kathy said it took her and Bob both to get the door shut.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalynn View Post
I have cousins that live in Kearney, one lost half of his house, my other cousin was upstairs "like a fool" and he heard his house starting to crack. Two houses north of them a tree was uprooted and tossed against their house. As the storms approached they where like everyone else outside watching the tornadoes in the distance, when all of the sudden the wind got horendous and they could barely make it inside, Kathy said it took her and Bob both to get the door shut.
Well as long as everyone is okay, stuff can be replaced

Old 05-31-2008, 07:58 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,346 times
Drove to Grand Island from Papillion this morning... went out on I-80 and came back on Hwy92...

On I-80 it was crazy starting west of Goehner to about the Giltner exit... lots of center pivots turned over... for most of York County I think every center pivot we saw (except maybe 2) on both sides of the interstate turned over. Saw a few grain bins destroyed, a bunch of power lines and one house.

On both I-80 and Hwy 92 for most of the trip standing water was everywhere.

Farmers are gonna real feel this one (but will be good for the area linemen and the center pivot manuafacturers/dealers)...

Old 05-31-2008, 08:11 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,003 times
Yes, at least they got most of the crop planted before these big rains, they were so far behind because of wet weather to being with. Now if the seeds were washed out or not, thats another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska