Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 06:58 PM

86 posts, read 80,257 times

Advertisements

Good video on why regular car oil shouldn't be used in a motorcycle.

https://youtu.be/l8Wr0u17t0s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 07:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
No video capability here (Pay-per-Byte internet)

so... Friction modifiers in Auto Engine oil are not always compatible with Wet Clutch Applications (many motorcycles)

I use HD Synthetic Diesel Oil for my various motorcycles API 'C' Series (Commercial) rather than 'S' Series (Gasoline) (viscosity appropriate to climate / use). Usually 15w-40 for moderate climate. Most of my MC are thumpers / low RPM. But I have raced extensively. No oil related engine failures (yet) 60+ yrs.

Use what is appropriate for your application. (Temps, RPM, environment, machine)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-15-2023 at 07:19 PM..

Old 08-16-2023, 05:31 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No video capability here (Pay-per-Byte internet)

so... Friction modifiers in Auto Engine oil are not always compatible with Wet Clutch Applications (many motorcycles)

I use HD Synthetic Diesel Oil for my various motorcycles API 'C' Series (Commercial) rather than 'S' Series (Gasoline) (viscosity appropriate to climate / use). Usually 15w-40 for moderate climate. Most of my MC are thumpers / low RPM. But I have raced extensively. No oil related engine failures (yet) 60+ yrs.

Use what is appropriate for your application. (Temps, RPM, environment, machine)
This, is the big difference.

Always use "MA" oils in your bikes.

Or, Rotella T.

I have only 1 thumper, and it gets Rotella T 15W-40 w/XLA

My triple gets.....

wait for it

Rotella also!

Old 08-16-2023, 08:40 PM

as usual...Amsoil offers a good description. Specific SAE tests for Wet Clutch friction / 'grippiness'
  • Dynamic friction:
  • Static friction:
  • Stop time:

https://blog.amsoil.com/whats-the-di...-jaso-ma2-oil/

My ah-ha moment was in 1976, putting Mobil1 SE (for the first and LAST time...) in my XS2, the day I left on a cross country trip. That was a bummer.

I like my clutches to GRIP!

As in all my vehicles, I only use my MC clutch a couple times / day, so it STAYS engaged for most of the time.
(Trying to preserve my Clutch Cables!)

FYI:
Will Rotella T6 hurt a gas engine?
Shell Rotella® T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil is formulated to perform well in gasoline engines, without sacrificing protection in diesels.

Is Rotella T4 safe for gas engines?
Shell Rotella® T4 NG Plus 15W-40 provides excellent protection for mixed fleets, meeting a wide range of specifications for Natural Gas Engine Oil, Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil and Passenger Car Motor Oil.

Can you use Shell Rotella T1 in a gas engine?
Product Description. Shell Rotella T1 Heavy Duty Diesel Engine oils are a high quality single grade oil blended to provide excellent performance in diesel engines of all major manufacturers and in all gasoline, LPG or LNG engines.

Rotella T is very affordable and available as a MC oil.

I used to keep a drum of it in the shop. (but it's now cheaper to buy in 2.5g jugs)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-16-2023 at 08:52 PM..

Old 08-23-2023, 08:26 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
FYI:
Will Rotella T6 hurt a gas engine?
Shell Rotella® T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil is formulated to perform well in gasoline engines, without sacrificing protection in diesels.

Is Rotella T4 safe for gas engines?
Shell Rotella® T4 NG Plus 15W-40 provides excellent protection for mixed fleets, meeting a wide range of specifications for Natural Gas Engine Oil, Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil and Passenger Car Motor Oil.

Can you use Shell Rotella T1 in a gas engine?
Product Description. Shell Rotella T1 Heavy Duty Diesel Engine oils are a high quality single grade oil blended to provide excellent performance in diesel engines of all major manufacturers and in all gasoline, LPG or LNG engines.

Rotella T is very affordable and available as a MC oil.

I used to keep a drum of it in the shop. (but it's now cheaper to buy in 2.5g jugs)
Funny you mentioned Shell Rotella because that was the only non-mc oil I ever used.
I don't remember what it was but I believe it was the 15w-40 type and I used it in my first Gen Yamaha V-max. It didn't like it too much but it was also the only mineral oil I used, everything else was full synthetic. V-Max was an interestingly picky bike when it came to oil and you could totally tell whether it liked the oil or not from first ride. The shifting and acceleration would change noticeably based on the oil.
I must have tried at least 6 different brands during my 4 year ownership. I was really surprised how unimpressive Motul was despite all the hype.

It loved Schaeffer V-Twin 20w-50 oil and also did well with Mobil1 20w-50 full synthetic oil.

Nowadays, I use whatever weight & type the manual is calling for just as long as it is full synthetic, brand doesn't matter.
My Stelvio requires 10w-60 so I don't deviate, I use full synthetic 10w-60 and the one I am using every 12 months or 6000 miles (whichever comes first) is, the Liqui Moly 4T Synth 10w-60 Race 4L.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:05 PM

1,282 posts, read 642,380 times
Why not just use whatever a particular manufacturer recommends? Oil is cheap...

Old 08-23-2023, 09:28 PM

I have 9 different MC, (48) 4-18 wheeled vehicles, 12 tractors, dozers, excavators, + riding mowers, tillers, pressure washers, cement mixers, log splitters, chippers, stump grinders, gensets, fork lifts...~80 different oil change specs

And I can use (1) one oil that will cover all those specific needs.

K-i-s, works for me. And all my engines are very happy and dutifully working every day.

Old 08-24-2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-C View Post
Why not just use whatever a particular manufacturer recommends? Oil is cheap...
I agree, buying the oil based on the specs the manufacturer recommends is the wisest but I have to disagree with the oil is cheap part.

A decent synth oil is about $12-$15 depending on the specs. The last time (mid Spring 2023) I bought , it was $65 for my oil. I'd not say it is cheap. The previous purchase of the same oil less than a year earlier was $50, still not cheap but more reasonable. When you add a decent oil filter which would be about $12-$15, an oil change is about $80 and that is when you do it yourself.

Income wise, I am nowhere near what I was making several years back but still, the above price is not "cheap" by any means!

Old 08-25-2023, 07:08 AM

1,282 posts, read 642,380 times
I should have been more specific. In the general aviation community there's a saying, "oil cheap, engines expensive". My piston plane needs oil changes every 50 hours or 3 months whichever comes first. The required oil has specific additives to lessen cam and bearing wear. The cost to OH the engine ranges from 22 to 30K - so comparatively the correct oil is very cheap. My VW diesels also require oils meeting a specific spec. I just added a Himalayan to the garage and the manual states that 15W-50 semi-synth is the oil to use - I can only assume the manufacturer knows best. That oil is a PIA to find. In any case I have a shed filled with strange oils!

Old 08-25-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-C View Post
I should have been more specific. In the general aviation community there's a saying, "oil cheap, engines expensive". My piston plane needs oil changes every 50 hours or 3 months whichever comes first. The required oil has specific additives to lessen cam and bearing wear. The cost to OH the engine ranges from 22 to 30K - so comparatively the correct oil is very cheap. My VW diesels also require oils meeting a specific spec.
Interesting, I wasn't familiar with the "piston plane" term so I looked it up. If I am not mistaken, general a term used for the smallest passenger planes, correct?
50-hours flying time? That doesn't sound very long but for a plane, I can understand the stricter maintenance requirements. After all, if a car/motorcycle breaks down on the road, you are merely stuck on the road but if a plane broke down in the air...
Quote:
I just added a Himalayan to the garage and the manual states that 15W-50 semi-synth is the oil to use - I can only assume the manufacturer knows best. That oil is a PIA to find. In any case I have a shed filled with strange oils!
Never seen or heard a manufacturer call for a semi-synth oil. Really odd as I do not even understand the logic of using a semi-synth oil or whatever advantage it could have over full synth if mineral oil wasn't suitable?

Based on a brief research I made years ago, semi-synth was marginally better than regular mineral oil and marginally cheaper than full synth affirming that the it existed as a mid point from a lubrication and cost perspective. Given the cost difference between the full synth and semi-synth for standard vehicles is negligible, if the vehicle doesn't require a mineral oil, might as well use full synth over semi or am I mistaken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles