Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 08:28 PM

1,282 posts, read 642,380 times

Advertisements

Yes, small private planes. You've done a deeper dive into the oil question than I have but yes, the Royal Enfield owner's manual states JASO MA2 semi-synthetic oil. Maybe that oil is popular in India where they build those motos or the clutch needs it, who the heck knows - but if you find out let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 10:22 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-C View Post
I should have been more specific. In the general aviation community there's a saying, "oil cheap, engines expensive". My piston plane needs oil changes every 50 hours or 3 months whichever comes first. The required oil has specific additives to lessen cam and bearing wear. The cost to OH the engine ranges from 22 to 30K - so comparatively the correct oil is very cheap. My VW diesels also require oils meeting a specific spec. I just added a Himalayan to the garage and the manual states that 15W-50 semi-synth is the oil to use - I can only assume the manufacturer knows best. That oil is a PIA to find. In any case I have a shed filled with strange oils!
In a former life, I was a tribologist, so here goes.

For your Lycoming (or Continental) I'd recommend Shell Aeroshell 15W-50 for a multi-vis. Or, if you are in a more temperate climate, Aeroshell 100W, or 100W Plus.

Here's a little something regarding "break-in..."

https://youtu.be/qq1vbl_ixr0?si=sz83UwQyFPnxXY

Now, as far as not finding a 15W-50 oil for you Himalayan, take a look at Shell Advance Ultra 4T 15W-50. (Occasionally, Ferrari dealerships may have Shell Advance on hand. Ducati dealerships, too. Factory fill in both marques.) Probably easier to just get it online, as I doubt many Shell Jobbers would stock such, unless they cater to a large F-car clientele. (There's a few in Los Angeles/Orange Counties that do.)

Old 08-27-2023, 10:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
... "oil cheap, engines expensive". ...I just added a Himalayan to the garage and the manual states that 15W-50 semi-synth is the oil to use - I can only assume the manufacturer knows best. That oil is a PIA to find. In any case I have a shed filled with strange oils!
Is it one of these special builds?
https://drivehimalaya.com/content/The-Vehicles.html

I don't see any LandRover engine specs for semi-synth. (not something I would use or recommend)
Possibly it is temporary break-in' oil for some kind of rebuild (which I could understand), but not forever, through the life of the engine. If so... do 3000 mile changes with semi-synth, vs 10,000 for full synth.

What is their change interval?
Diesel or Gas?
Manual or Auto?
Saw lots of them similar to this in Greece this yr (But most people had a Jimny - very narrow streets (with steps to drive up))
https://drivehimalaya.com/Vehicle/63.html

The Piston aircraft engines I rebuilt and assembled used Aeroshell 100 (straight mineral oil w/ dispersant for cold flow) & changes every 25 hrs! but... they were speced in the 1940's (much better oil technology today). The important thing for air cooled aircraft engines is AD rated (low to no ash + dispersant) due to higher cumbustion and operating temps. Also avoid metal based friction enhancers in aircraft. Premium Diesel oils are probably the closest conventional oil available. but...$8 vs $10.qt... use the appropriate oil for your aircraft engine. They are a kinda critical component.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...shelloils6.php

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-27-2023 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-29-2023, 04:37 PM

1,282 posts, read 642,380 times
Now you guys have done it - another dreaded oil thread! The Himalayan is the Enfield motorcycle and I found the recommended oil at Amazon (Motul 5100 4T). The Lyc IO-360 oil used after major overhaul 3 years ago - straight mineral oil for first 10 hours; multi-vis mineral to 25 hours; Aeroshell W100 with Camguard (summer); Aeroshell W80 with Camguard (winter); Phillips X/C multi-vis with Camguard (all year) and now....Phillips Victory AW (includes the Lyc SB additives). The VW PD diesels have the camshafts actuating the fuel injectors as well as the valves and VW says 505.01 spec oil - or else...so I comply. I can't complain, this is a "first world" problem I don't mind having!

Old 09-03-2023, 07:43 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Rotella somethingorother diesel oil

Old 09-03-2023, 08:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
...The Himalayan is the Enfield motorcycle and I found the recommended oil at Amazon (Motul 5100 4T). The Lyc IO-360 oil used after major overhaul 3 years ago - straight mineral oil for first 10 hours; multi-vis mineral to 25 hours; Aeroshell W100 with Camguard (summer); Aeroshell W80 with Camguard (winter); ...

The VW PD diesels have the camshafts actuating the fuel injectors as well as the valves and VW says 505.01 spec oil - or else...so I comply. I can't complain, this is a "first world" problem I don't mind having!
Yeap, Keep the 'right-stuff' on your shelf and in your engines for special applications, and they'll serve you well. Keep on Thumping!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myz5f7etpQ4

Old 09-09-2023, 07:29 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
First time using Super tech oil in my pcx150. It is great cheap oil. I previously ran expensive Royal Purple and feel the little 149cc motor likes the Supertech Walmart oil better.

Old 09-09-2023, 09:29 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
First time using Super tech oil in my pcx150. It is great cheap oil. I previously ran expensive Royal Purple and feel the little 149cc motor likes the Supertech Walmart oil better.
Who makes the oil, for Walmart?

Old 09-09-2023, 11:24 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
https://www.warrenoil.com/us/about-us/

The make

Walmart oil. Amazon oil. Sam's club oil.

I don't believe in paying for a company ads or sponsoring a sporting event. Cheap stuff works fine.

Old 09-11-2023, 01:13 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
I never cared for overhyped Amsoil or Purple. I have always used Schaeffer in my 04 Silverado 1500 and after 15 years and 130K miles to the day I sold it, it was still pulling like a beast.

That said, not every more expensive product is without its merits and could be worth the extra $$ (provided the reviewer's methods were valid and unbiased):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amZ56sdR4H8

I am a firm believe in doing more frequent oil changes done by you vs buying more expensive stuff and doing the changes less frequently. Also if the dealership is doing your oil changes, the oil they use is truly the "junk" oil where you really do not want to keep in your vehicle for the claimed duration or miles anyhow. I also care how the vehicles behave but not just initially, after the oil change but also during the last weeks prior to the oil change with that same oil.
I have been using Liqui Moly in my Corolla as well as my Stelvio for the last 2 oil changes and have been very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles