Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 4,032 times

Advertisements

Has this happened to anyone else?

The MSF course is required to get a motorcycle license in my state. I’ve been around bikes my entire life and consider myself a decent enough rider.

They expect you to accelerate from a dead stop to 18mph in 5 feet.

At a stop light you must roll back and forth.

Never look at your speedometer.

Look the the very top of the tree line in front of you at all times.

Never lean with the bike.

Along with incorrect legal information i.e “If you stick your knee out in a corner you’ll be fined or even arrested”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 09:11 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I made it most of the way thru an MSF Instructor course before a back issue took me out, I don't recall any of those things being taught in the course nor in any of the literature.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I made it most of the way thru an MSF Instructor course before a back issue took me out, I don't recall any of those things being taught in the course nor in any of the literature.
Sorry about your back.

I have friends and family that have done the course in different states and never experienced this that’s what’s so weird about it.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:26 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I've found that many such little details to vary quite a bit from state to state in how the course is taught.

I applied for an instructor's job at one point and part of the selection process was to complete the course, where I didn't agree with some of the things they taught "for safety".

For example, they required that you always sit at an intersection with the clutch in and transmission in gear. The explanation was that you would be instantly able to move the bike to respond to an emergency situation, such as a car pulling up behind you at an excessive speed, looking like it might rear end your bike. I questioned how a bike rider could judge 99% of the vehicles pulling up behind them wouldn't stop in a timely manner ... and yes, I know of a few riders who have been rear-ended at stoplight intersections and sustained serious injuries. (One where a drunk concrete truck driver rear-ended a car that had stopped behind the motorcyclist, pushing that car into the bike ... resulting in broken hip, leg, and serious lacerations on arms/torso. How could the bike rider have anticipated such an incident and responded to it with his bike in gear?)

As one who rides older model motorcycles with clutches/throw-out bearings that cannot take that type of abuse, I was not comfortable doing so on the bike I was riding in the class. I always roll up to a stop and engage neutral in the last foot of rolling as close to the stopping point as possible so that my hand is off the clutch lever and the bike can remain stationary. That's my 50+ year habit of riding motorcycles and one verified in the numerous times I've rebuilt burned up clutches in bikes over the decades for riders who couldn't find neutral on their bikes when stopped.

So the instructors/examiners and I weren't happy with each other. They made it clear that I wasn't going to pass their course and I made it clear I wasn't going to teach riding tactics that I didn't agree with.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwawaymotorcycle View Post
Sorry about your back.
Thanks, it wasn't serious but miss a day and there was no making it up at the time.

Quote:
I have friends and family that have done the course in different states and never experienced this that’s what’s so weird about it.

It does seem weird because the training I was getting adhered to the literature, what seemed like an attempt to ensure the class was taught the same way no matter where it was being taught. If I had to guess I'd say possibly the work of a rogue instructor not adhering to the MSF methods? It might be worth your time to Email the MSF and question some of those teachings.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Thanks, it wasn't serious but miss a day and there was no making it up at the time.

It does seem weird because the training I was getting adhered to the literature, what seemed like an attempt to ensure the class was taught the same way no matter where it was being taught. If I had to guess I'd say possibly the work of a rogue instructor not adhering to the MSF methods? It might be worth your time to Email the MSF and question some of those teachings.
I’ve filed a complaint already about this and two separate issues with the instructor(it involved unwanted touching that I won’t elaborate on and bias towards certain students)

Old 12-20-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I’ve filed a complaint already about this and two separate issues with the instructor(it involved unwanted touching that I won’t elaborate on and bias towards certain students)

It all sounds entirely outside what I was taught in the course I attended. Please update us as to what happens with your complaint.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:41 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Was it Actually MSF, or the "state equivalent" (I know Oregon does their own thing, not sure about other states)? IE, what state?

Old 12-20-2017, 03:15 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times
Quote:
Has this happened to anyone else?

The MSF course is required to get a motorcycle license in my state. I’ve been around bikes my entire life and consider myself a decent enough rider.

They expect you to accelerate from a dead stop to 18mph in 5 feet.

At a stop light you must roll back and forth.

Never look at your speedometer.

Look the the very top of the tree line in front of you at all times.

Never lean with the bike.

Along with incorrect legal information i.e “If you stick your knee out in a corner you’ll be fined or even arrested”.
It's been about 5 years since I voluntarily took my MSF course and non of those things were mentioned.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:59 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
I have taken 3 over the years, just to refresh my 55 yrs worth of riding ol'brain, in 3 different states, and none of that junque was mentioned or required or, forbidden...

I found the courses well done and worth it, even for a very experienced rider. Maybe a knucklehead instructor or their interpretation of 'how to ride'?
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles