Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2024, 08:54 PM

37,309 posts, read 39,719,505 times

Advertisements

Does the city have any freeway capping projects under construction? What was done on some of R-136 is nice, and I'm wondering if the region has any more similar plans afoot. I do think it's odd that so little of A15 is capped especially around the Orange line stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 06:51 AM

3,272 posts, read 2,725,943 times
Solar Eclipse led to the city having a huge influx of tourists, hotel bookings up 25%, total of 75% occupancy rate. Good news for the city, it really needed an economic injection and mother nature pulled through.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:24 AM

26,916 posts, read 38,213,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does the city have any freeway capping projects under construction? What was done on some of R-136 is nice, and I'm wondering if the region has any more similar plans afoot. I do think it's odd that so little of A15 is capped especially around the Orange line stations.
I am not aware of any.

Old 04-09-2024, 09:23 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,154,155 times
Quote:

There is talk of capping and building an extension to the Convention Centre and further East on R-136. I don’t know how far along this project is.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
There is talk of capping and building an extension to the Convention Centre and further East on R-136. I don’t know how far along this project is.
This is still in the works, project is going through many different proposals. Not only will it be capped, but there's talks of the convention centre being expanded on one parcel, and another housing 3K units across from Chinatown. It's very expensive but from what I've seen, this is needed ASAP.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
This is still in the works, project is going through many different proposals. Not only will it be capped, but there's talks of the convention centre being expanded on one parcel, and another housing 3K units across from Chinatown. It's very expensive but from what I've seen, this is needed ASAP.
Nice!

Are there proposals to cap A15 near the Orange line stations? It seems like there's quite a bit of new development and I find it odd to do that without some improvements to the neighborhoods.

Old 04-12-2024, 10:21 AM

26,916 posts, read 38,213,861 times
Quote:
Nice!

Are there proposals to cap A15 near the Orange line stations? It seems like there's quite a bit of new development and I find it odd to do that without some improvements to the neighborhoods.
I think there have been (failed) mayoral candidates that have talked about doing that for part of the A-15 (Autoroute Décarie) but it hasn't gone anywhere. There are no plans I'd say.

Note that the southern end of Décarie is almost completely urbanized on both sides almost to the edges of the autoroute ditch.

The north end is where you have observed a huge amount of development. This would have been an opportunity for capping but it's not part of it as far as I know.

There is even a pedestrian bridge under construction linked the two parts of the development on either side of the autoroute, just south of the junction with the A-40 (Métropolitaine). So no capping there for sure.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:18 PM

The Decarie project has been floated around, before covid, it was oegged at $5B to cover all of it. It'll easily be $12-$15B now and will last at least a decade.

It's a project I'd like to see, but we will need the technology to do it properly, efficiently and in a timely manner + do it when inflation is down and money comes into the province again. A nice linear park to connect the neighbourhood again would be fantastic, especially with all the development lately and proposed.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think there have been (failed) mayoral candidates that have talked about doing that for part of the A-15 (Autoroute Décarie) but it hasn't gone anywhere. There are no plans I'd say.

Note that the southern end of Décarie is almost completely urbanized on both sides almost to the edges of the autoroute ditch.

The north end is where you have observed a huge amount of development. This would have been an opportunity for capping but it's not part of it as far as I know.

There is even a pedestrian bridge under construction linked the two parts of the development on either side of the autoroute, just south of the junction with the A-40 (Métropolitaine). So no capping there for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
The Decarie project has been floated around, before covid, it was oegged at $5B to cover all of it. It'll easily be $12-$15B now and will last at least a decade.

It's a project I'd like to see, but we will need the technology to do it properly, efficiently and in a timely manner + do it when inflation is down and money comes into the province again. A nice linear park to connect the neighbourhood again would be fantastic, especially with all the development lately and proposed.

Thank you both. I'm glad it's at least been officially floated before, even if there hasn't been much movement on it.

Old 05-17-2024, 08:35 AM

Big summer expected for the city, fantastic news

Montreal expecting busy summer tourist season

https://montreal.citynews.ca/2024/05...season-summer/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal