Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 04:39 AM

123 posts, read 215,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby B View Post
:Just make sure you check if there is any Wolverine fans in a 10 mile radius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Agreed.

I would point out that the smaller towns at least 50 miles from the population centers are much more affordable, and for someone who doesn't need to have a living wage job, it can be much easier to live.

If the OP is planning on a few years until their move, I might recommend they find a place now because prices are only going to go up, and it gives them some time to build equity while they're still working.
Think of it as a long term investment, and when they're ready to move, if they have a place they're selling, they can pay off the balance, and have a nest egg from what's left, and they lower their capital gains taxes by rolling over their gains from the sale into another investment, their new home.
Yes yes yes! THIS is why I’m looking now, both for investment now as well as some fun and possible summer retirement home. Would like to perhaps buy some land, maybe some that can be used recreationally or as a summer location (I’m a teacher) or a small cabin to have for summers and retirement. Thanks

Old 01-31-2024, 05:35 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobucks! View Post
Yes yes yes! THIS is why I’m looking now, both for investment now as well as some fun and possible summer retirement home. Would like to perhaps buy some land, maybe some that can be used recreationally or as a summer location (I’m a teacher) or a small cabin to have for summers and retirement. Thanks

If you want to buy land I'd rule out anything near Bozeman, Missoula, Kalispell, Whitefish, or Livingston unless you have a few million lying around. Politics might be the least of your concerns.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:14 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
Land might be good/affordable near Fort Benton or Cascade, which are near Great Falls. Belt is close too, but clean well water might be an issue on rural plots near Belt Creek or the aquifer near there. Beautiful area with lots of trees, though. Extensive 1900s+/- mining and tailings have polluted the area. They used to sell a lot of 5 acre plots in the hills overlooking Belt Creek. Knew a couple people that bought them, but neither of them developed the land when I knew them, so I don't know if there are well issues in the area. Had another friend that had about 80 acres of alfalfa between Great Falls and Fort Benton. The wells they drilled could only find brackish water, so they had to dry farm and could get 1 - 3 cuts a year depending on rain amounts and timing. Great place to deer hunt though.

There is quite a bit of rural land that is very beautiful valley floor type land within 30 miles from Dillon, and often near smaller towns around the area. You would get mountain views, but would drive to the mountains for play. We didn't get close enough to buying to investigate well water issues, but there are old and new homes all around the area. If outside the small towns, then usually on some acreage. I doubt they are all, if any, trucking in water.

A clean drinkable water source might be your toughest challenge on many rural properties that are vacant and undeveloped.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:55 AM

Since you're originally looking at just summer recreational property you could also look in the valley that includes Philipsburg, MT as the biggest town in the valley. Depending on where you find property you would be closer to Anaconda/Butte, Helena, or Missoula. The issue here, would be access to power (most other places too). If your future property isn't near a paved road with existing powerlines, or near someone else's home with electricity, then power lines might be hundreds of yards to miles away. You get a very beautiful 20 acre tree and pastured property, but spend $100K to BIG plus money getting electricity to it. For recreation only with an RV and solar that's probably fine. Even a small steel shop and an RV. Building a retirement home might be tough. If you ever want to make this property a fulltime retirement home, then think about how much snow you're going to have to move, how far, and how often to get winter access. No city/county is going to plow your access road or driveway. For example, if you've got 5 miles of dirt access road (or more) and then 200 yards of driveway to your cabin/home/shop, all that snow removal is on you and/or your neighbors. Hopefully you have fulltime neighbors with a good Cat that will plow that access road. Then you only have to worry about your 200 yards of driveway. You can do that with a tractor with a blower attachment.

Something like this: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

Old 01-31-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Land might be good/affordable near Fort Benton or Cascade, which are near Great Falls. Belt is close too, but clean well water might be an issue on rural plots near Belt Creek or the aquifer near there. Beautiful area with lots of trees, though. Extensive 1900s+/- mining and tailings have polluted the area. They used to sell a lot of 5 acre plots in the hills overlooking Belt Creek. Knew a couple people that bought them, but neither of them developed the land when I knew them, so I don't know if there are well issues in the area. Had another friend that had about 80 acres of alfalfa between Great Falls and Fort Benton. The wells they drilled could only find brackish water, so they had to dry farm and could get 1 - 3 cuts a year depending on rain amounts and timing. Great place to deer hunt though.

There is quite a bit of rural land that is very beautiful valley floor type land within 30 miles from Dillon, and often near smaller towns around the area. You would get mountain views, but would drive to the mountains for play. We didn't get close enough to buying to investigate well water issues, but there are old and new homes all around the area. If outside the small towns, then usually on some acreage. I doubt they are all, if any, trucking in water.

A clean drinkable water source might be your toughest challenge on many rural properties that are vacant and undeveloped.
Ejisme...MUCH APPRECIATED!

That's exactly a possibility for us at least for right now. I'm unfamiliar with these names/towns/areas but will check them out on a map. Mountain views...YES! Deer hunting...even better We're avid.

If we can get "out" enough then we'll be less concerned about the political leanings, and I suspect the smaller towns are more libertarian/conservative by nature anyways.

Thanks for the insight into the water issue(s).

Old 01-31-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Since you're originally looking at just summer recreational property you could also look in the valley that includes Philipsburg, MT as the biggest town in the valley. Depending on where you find property you would be closer to Anaconda/Butte, Helena, or Missoula. The issue here, would be access to power (most other places too). If your future property isn't near a paved road with existing powerlines, or near someone else's home with electricity, then power lines might be hundreds of yards to miles away. You get a very beautiful 20 acre tree and pastured property, but spend $100K to BIG plus money getting electricity to it. For recreation only with an RV and solar that's probably fine. Even a small steel shop and an RV. Building a retirement home might be tough. If you ever want to make this property a fulltime retirement home, then think about how much snow you're going to have to move, how far, and how often to get winter access. No city/county is going to plow your access road or driveway. For example, if you've got 5 miles of dirt access road (or more) and then 200 yards of driveway to your cabin/home/shop, all that snow removal is on you and/or your neighbors. Hopefully you have fulltime neighbors with a good Cat that will plow that access road. Then you only have to worry about your 200 yards of driveway. You can do that with a tractor with a blower attachment.

Something like this: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card
Wow...awesome detailed info and recommendation. GREATLY APPRECIATE THE TIME to offer that. That property looks nice. Mountain View looks good. To your point about retirement home, we wouldn't necessarily be looking for full time (winter) but rather summer play area leading up to retirement being a teacher, as well as a summer play area for kids and grandkids to come visit. We'd keep our winter home most likely in the midwest most likely, unless we're called somewhere else. So, we're not concerned about the roads/winter. We don't expect to be there.

Thanks for the towns, link, and insight!

Old 01-31-2024, 11:58 AM

If you are an avid deer hunter, I always told new people that if you don't shoot a deer in Montana then you are just a bad shot!! Deer are everywhere, and I mean everywhere. You might not get a good shot the first day, but if you put in the time you'll be able to fill your two-three tags a year (per person) if you want that much venison. You'll need to be in Montana in early winter to get to the general deer and elk seasons, so snow might still be an issue.

Plenty of other critters to hunt. Bow and black powder usually come before the general season, often before the beginning of the main snow season, usually Oct to Apr in the valleys, and earlier/longer at higher elevation. Though snow can fall in any month of the year. Most years in Great Falls it snowed a few inches in the first week of June. It doesn't last long, but it's another "[i]SIGH[i]" more snow! I've been in snow outside of Lincoln, MT and at Crystal Park (kind of between Dillon and Anaconda), in July.

If you want a pretty lot, trees, nearby mountains, nearby river and lakes, basic services in a small town: then Lincoln, MT might be a good place to look. Not really near a big town, but kind of a somewhat equal distance between Missoula, Helena, and Great Falls.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rch/Lincoln_MT

Old 01-31-2024, 03:06 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Deer hunting is great, just remember that if you want resident tags, you need to be a resident having lived in the state for at least 6 months, and have a Montana drivers license.
Otherwise you will put in for non-resident tags through a drawing.

Unlike some states, just owning land isn't enough to qualify as a resident.

Hank Williams Junior the country singer got in a lot of trouble over that one.

Just something to consider if you plan on buying here for the hunting opportunities. They're spectacular, but there are rules.

Old 02-01-2024, 12:36 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobucks! View Post
Wow...awesome detailed info and recommendation. GREATLY APPRECIATE THE TIME to offer that. That property looks nice. Mountain View looks good. To your point about retirement home, we wouldn't necessarily be looking for full time (winter) but rather summer play area leading up to retirement being a teacher, as well as a summer play area for kids and grandkids to come visit. We'd keep our winter home most likely in the midwest most likely, unless we're called somewhere else. So, we're not concerned about the roads/winter. We don't expect to be there.

Thanks for the towns, link, and insight!
Since this thread has drifted into an area which I know a little about (rather than me trying to weigh in on the politics of MT cities), here goes: A summer play area leading up to retirement, etc. You know what John Dutton (Yellowstone) says about that, right?! Montana is not a playground for out-of-staters! But who cares what he says, he's just a character in a TV series .

We have that kind of property right on the North Idaho/NW MT border, and we're very happy with our choice. Now that I'm semi-retired, we get to spend 3-5 months out of the year there. That's what we live for these days.

IMO, what you need to do is focus less on the political issue, and more on the logistics of your ideal property. You're not going to vote in local matters, and you're probably not going to have a lot of heavy political discussions with neighbors, but you are going to rely on them to keep you posted about the general condition of your place in winter, and to give you the phone numbers of local plumbers, electricians, handymen, nurse practitioners, vets, auto mechanics, tree removal people, gravel delivery people, and so forth. And churches in the area if that's part of your life. That said, of course you can't select a property based on the neighbors, but their experience and goodwill will be part of your MT life more than whether the nearby town leans in one political direction or another.

So what I'd want to look at if I were you (which I have been, sort of , when we were looking for vacation/retirement property) is a checklist of priorities: What really matters to you? How far from a small town market do you want to be? How far from big box stores? And a decent hospital? And an airport? How long a driveway can you put up with, and how far from a county maintained road? Do you want your property to share a border with public lands? Is a view important to you? Do you want power to the property, or can you handle being off the grid? Municipal water, or a well? How many acres (5 is the minimum in most rural areas, some have 10)? And certainly, the political situation can be part of the checklist. If you lean conservative, then having to do major shopping in Bozeman once every 3-4 weeks may be an irritant to you, so keep that in mind.

Upthread the small town of Thompson Falls was mentioned. I'd second that, but I'm partial to the NW, to Sanders and Lincoln Counties, with the big rivers and tall mountains. You're welcome to look at my C-D profile album with pictures from the area, as well as from North Idaho.

You're getting stellar advice from MTSilvertip and Ejisme. And you're about to embark on a great adventure! Your kids and grandkids will love it. Maybe they will want to become full-time Montanans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana