Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 02:40 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I moved to Baldwin County a month ago and I know little to nothing about Mobile, including politics or history.

I have to say I love Mobile and it seems that it has so much potential. The downtown area is adorable, love the beautiful older homes, and the bay is so gorgeous it takes my breath away. I think Mobile has so much potential and yet...it just doesn't reach it. Please know I truly like it and mean no offense, but something is holding this city back and I don't know enough to figure out what
Both sides of the bay have a problem with failed central planning.

Part of Mobile's 5 year plan when Stimpson was elected was a reinvestment bank, he renamed it "redevelopment authority ", it still hasn't happened.

Other cities have these under different names, and they are all vastly different. Some have the power to purchase properties and fix them up and sell them, others can rent, some can apply for grants and loans on behalf of tenants. So on and so forth. This would have been a great thing for Downtown Mobile if it had been put in place.

Land Bank program didnt happen, Water front access program didnt happen.

so yea, following through on these things would have helped alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 08:35 AM

154 posts, read 150,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Both sides of the bay have a problem with failed central planning.

Part of Mobile's 5 year plan when Stimpson was elected was a reinvestment bank, he renamed it "redevelopment authority ", it still hasn't happened.

Other cities have these under different names, and they are all vastly different. Some have the power to purchase properties and fix them up and sell them, others can rent, some can apply for grants and loans on behalf of tenants. So on and so forth. This would have been a great thing for Downtown Mobile if it had been put in place.

Land Bank program didnt happen, Water front access program didnt happen.

so yea, following through on these things would have helped alot.
Not sure what you mean by a reinvestment bank, but the city does have the CIP program which grants 3 million dollars each year for each district that can be used for infrastruture, parks, properties, and rent benefits, definitely sounds like a derivative of what you are saying, which has been around for like 5 - 6 years now.

Not to mention the city has a program for first home down payments for firefighters and police, now teachers and medical personnel. Not to mention the city has started ANOTHER program that is supposed to give affordable housing to 1,000 homes through grants on building new homes or renovating current stock

But yes he has given the city water front access through Cooper Riverside Park and the future waterfront park that will be built @ Berkley

Old 12-12-2021, 08:59 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleFontaineMan View Post
But yes he has given the city water front access through Cooper Riverside Park and the future waterfront park that will be built @ Berkley
The Coop came along waaaay before Sandy was mayor. The Coop was Dowe's creation.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
The Coop came along waaaay before Sandy was mayor. The Coop was Dowe's creation.
Oh it is? I was under the impression that it was a Stimpson creation lol

Old 12-12-2021, 09:51 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,786,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I will say that if you mean lacking diversity as a definition of boring, I will give you that
Look for diversity in Bayou La Batre.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:06 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Oh it is? I was under the impression that it was a Stimpson creation lol
Lol nope it was created in 1996. I would credit him for bringing ideas to enhance it though. An observation wheel was one of Stimpsons ideas and I can rock with that. It would be nice to have a smaller version of Chicago's Navy Pier near the Coop but instead of a Navy Pier it could be named Baseball Legend's Pier .

Old 12-12-2021, 11:44 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by a reinvestment bank, but the city does have the CIP program which grants 3 million dollars each year for each district that can be used for infrastruture, parks, properties, and rent benefits, definitely sounds like a derivative of what you are saying, which has been around for like 5 - 6 years now.

Not to mention the city has a program for first home down payments for firefighters and police, now teachers and medical personnel. Not to mention the city has started ANOTHER program that is supposed to give affordable housing to 1,000 homes through grants on building new homes or renovating current stock

the CIP doesnt own or sell property, or have the authority to construct anything outside of a ball park on already owned city property, also the CIP and the home owners program are both federal programs signed into law in 2012 looks like it. and started giving out funds in 2013 and 2014. Sandy Stimpson seems to get a lot of credit for things Sam Jones just never had access to because they didnt exist LOL.

A redevelopment authority is Pseudo government organization/corporation that can make decisions on its own, it doesnt have to wait for city approval, or even city funding. It could theoretically buy a bunch of rental properties, and earn revenue from that, and then take that revenue and build a park, or build a high rise apartment building on land they purchase.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:35 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Yea Crime doesn't have anything to do with it, Pheonix (184 homicides), Houston (422), DC (207), New Orleans (193) are all crime ridden cities that have not been slowed down by it, not to mention crime is statistically lower than our neighbors, crime is lower than Pensacola, Biloxi, New Orleans, Birmingham, Montgomery, Huntsville, Memphis, Atlanta, Tallahassee, etc, etc
I never really think of Mobile as being crime ridden. Birmingham, Montgomery, Memphis, Jackson, Baton Rouge yes - but not Mobile. I'm not sure Mobile crime is lower than Huntsville though - maybe non-violent crimes, but certainly not murders (I think Huntsville has something like 16, Madison 2, and the year's almost over).

Old 12-12-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I never really think of Mobile as being crime ridden. Birmingham, Montgomery, Memphis, Jackson, Baton Rouge yes - but not Mobile. I'm not sure Mobile crime is lower than Huntsville though - maybe non-violent crimes, but certainly not murders (I think Huntsville has something like 16, Madison 2, and the year's almost over).
Murders are higher in Mobile, but I think overall Violent Crime is pretty much the same (not sure about the petty crimes) the high population under the MPD (270k rather than just 188k) probably works in favor of Mobile, making it lower by technicality

Old 12-12-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the CIP doesnt own or sell property, or have the authority to construct anything outside of a ball park on already owned city property, also the CIP and the home owners program are both federal programs signed into law in 2012 looks like it. and started giving out funds in 2013 and 2014. Sandy Stimpson seems to get a lot of credit for things Sam Jones just never had access to because they didnt exist LOL.

A redevelopment authority is Pseudo government organization/corporation that can make decisions on its own, it doesnt have to wait for city approval, or even city funding. It could theoretically buy a bunch of rental properties, and earn revenue from that, and then take that revenue and build a park, or build a high rise apartment building on land they purchase.
CIP is not a fed program, the funding comes from a penny tax within the city, not sure where the homeowner's program funding comes, so could be a fed thing

That's interesting, wouldn't be a bad idea, especially as the city mows more and more Shotgun houses, opening more land, its definitely gonna take a corporate entity to redevelop all the plots of land popping up in the inner city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area