Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 07:52 AM

426 posts, read 382,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
The whole thread is about what is holding Mobile back. And the first thing Mobile residents do (especially here) is get defensive, especially about Baldwin County growing and taking residents from Mobile. You can see (and feel) it in the posts in this thread.

Instead of seeing that as a negative, I'm suggesting seeing that as a positive. If the whole area grows, you'll end up attracting some people (and young people) who want to be in a city core.

All that to say - Baldwin isn't the reason for Mobile's decline. The city has to look inward to find that.
No, you just rub people the wrong way. It's like the argument we had about the airport a while back. You made all these statements that weren't true and framed them as fact.

No one calls Mobile the Detroit of the South. Then you say Baldwin Co is better in every way, which is also not true. Start with reasonable arguments and people wont get defensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 08:50 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Mac View Post
No, you just rub people the wrong way. It's like the argument we had about the airport a while back. You made all these statements that weren't true and framed them as fact.

No one calls Mobile the Detroit of the South. Then you say Baldwin Co is better in every way, which is also not true. Start with reasonable arguments and people wont get defensive.
I tell the truth about things, rather than sugarcoat them. We are talking about what holds Mobile back, and I'm giving you the outsider's view, who has also spent considerable time in the area.

As far as Baldwin County, Mobile may be the engine for Daphne and Spanish Fort, but the rest of the county has a little thing that Mobile does not - BEACHES.

Speaking of which, we will find out which airport will ultimately be the most successful and will finish faster - the boondoggle at Brookley or commercial service at Gulf Shores.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:11 AM

426 posts, read 382,895 times
Quote:
I tell the truth about things, rather than sugarcoat them. We are talking about what holds Mobile back, and I'm giving you the outsider's view, who has also spent considerable time in the area.

As far as Baldwin County, Mobile may be the engine for Daphne and Spanish Fort, but the rest of the county has a little thing that Mobile does not - BEACHES.

Speaking of which, we will find out which airport will ultimately be the most successful and will finish faster - the boondoggle at Brookley or commercial service at Gulf Shores.

You give your opinion and state them as facts, which they are not.

Baldwin Co is boring. Which isn't a bad thing, but not everyone enjoys the lifestyle there. Not everyone enjoys the beach either. So saying BC is better in every way just isn't true and is your opinion.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:15 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
I bet MS/AL thinks people really look forward to his opinion as if we all have trudged up to the oracle's mount offering gifts.

But said oracle is really just standing outside a Circle K yelling at passersby

Old 12-10-2021, 09:16 AM

154 posts, read 150,300 times
Quote:

A) You are purposely trying to put vinegar into it

B) Gulf Shores and Orange Beach represent a small portion of the county. The rest rely on Mobile for its foundation, even as far Foley has major economic stake in the City of Mobile

C) Well judging by reliable history, an international airport on an interstate will always be more successful than a regional airport servicing only one tourist industry (not to be mention its a seasonal tourist destination) (Which quite literally has never worked before)

Old 12-10-2021, 09:45 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
I bet MS/AL thinks people really look forward to his opinion as if we all have trudged up to the oracle's mount offering gifts.

But said oracle is really just standing outside a Circle K yelling at passersby
Oh, I have no doubt you aren't listening, and I certainly know you don't think my opinion is welcome. I'm sure you've contacted the moderators asking for censorship.

None of that matters, because the OP is the one gathering information, and anyone else who visits this forum.

You are obviously free to paint the Mobile picture as rosy as you'd like.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:00 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
Oh, I have no doubt you aren't listening, and I certainly know you don't think my opinion is welcome. I'm sure you've contacted the moderators asking for censorship.

None of that matters, because the OP is the one gathering information, and anyone else who visits this forum.

You are obviously free to paint the Mobile picture as rosy as you'd like.
Haha, figures... Your opinion is welcome, if it actually is constructive. Making up "Detroit of the south" and the like is hardly constructive. The OP will gather her facts from locals and casual observers... Not just casual observers only here to stir up trouble.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:00 PM

313 posts, read 249,346 times
Quote:

Mobile county has a beach btw it’s called dauphin island. Dauphin island has private and public beaches and it’s less touristy and some people enjoy that more

Old 12-10-2021, 06:44 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,412 times
I'm not sure I understand what makes Baldwin county boring. What is it missing that Mobile has?

Baldwin has the beautiful bay, the causeway and its fun restaurants, the ocean, bars, resturants, shops at Fairhope... I mean Mobile doesn't really have major concerts or sports teams so it's not like it's a major city. I don't find either one boring but neither is more exciting than the other really

Old 12-10-2021, 06:46 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,412 times
I will say that if you mean lacking diversity as a definition of boring, I will give you that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area