Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 04:17 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Sooner or later the government of Mexico is going to have to make a choice. Either wipe out the cartels themselves or have the US Military Special Forces do it for them
I often think the same about the gang/drug problem in the US. But perhaps the governments have a reason for not bothering the cartels?

I'm in Mexico right now, same place I've been going for over twenty years. It was once too small to draw cartel attention but it's plain they now have influence here. It's not too difficult to spot them or the places they own.

The police have set up camp on the beach at one of their beach clubs and resorts. My first thought was that they were there to protect the tourists. My second was different.

As a tourist I don't expect to have entanglements with them. There are activities I don't engage in and places I don't walk.

I guess perception is everything and I feel as safe here as I do in my small city in MN. Maybe safer. in fact, we have cartel activity there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 12:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
One should always be aware when travelling to any foreign country.

Each country has it's own issues etc.

Mexico DOES have cartels and all the bad stuff that comes from that.

That said, there are places in Mexico where one can " feel " safe and in practical terms are, as long as you don't get involved in unlawful acts and don't go to places that put you at a great risk.

I admit, I've only been to PV, ( 7 times ) but have friends that travel to other places, and they seem fine.

As safe and familiar as PV is, I am always aware I'm NOT in Canada and the same rules do not apply, especially when it comes to the police.

That said, it's not hard to love Mexico. The food, the people and the scenery are fantastic.

Old 03-17-2023, 03:14 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Sooner or later the government of Mexico is going to have to make a choice. Either wipe out the cartels themselves or have the US Military Special Forces do it for them
I don't think you have any comprehension of how big the cartels are. Also, you seem to lack an understanding of national sovereignty. What if someone said you know these gang wars in Chicago killing thousands each year needs to be dealt with. Since the Chicago police can't do anything about it lets send in a foreign military to take care of it. How would you feel about that?

Old 03-18-2023, 11:06 PM

2,334 posts, read 845,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I don't think you have any comprehension of how big the cartels are. Also, you seem to lack an understanding of national sovereignty. What if someone said you know these gang wars in Chicago killing thousands each year needs to be dealt with. Since the Chicago police can't do anything about it lets send in a foreign military to take care of it. How would you feel about that?
That's a straw man argument. Fact is the the US is very much involved since the drugs are coming across the border and it's a situation that can only get worse if the Mexican government do nothing.

My solution would be to carry out an immediate execution of any and all cartel members taken this side of the border. A bullet in the back of the head and a quick burial in a hole in the desert. If that doesn't work then special ops into Mexico. I'm sure they already know where these killer drugs are being manufactured. There's also the option of missile strikes to take out those places

Of course it's not likely to happen unless someone like Trump wins in 2024

As for Chicago it's only a local problem with gangs killing each other for drugs mostly distributed in the Chicago area. At least as long as their wasting each other then that's a solution in it's own way

Old 03-18-2023, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
One should always be aware when travelling to any foreign country.

Each country has it's own issues etc.

Mexico DOES have cartels and all the bad stuff that comes from that.

That said, there are places in Mexico where one can " feel " safe and in practical terms are, as long as you don't get involved in unlawful acts and don't go to places that put you at a great risk.

I admit, I've only been to PV, ( 7 times ) but have friends that travel to other places, and they seem fine.

As safe and familiar as PV is, I am always aware I'm NOT in Canada and the same rules do not apply, especially when it comes to the police.

That said, it's not hard to love Mexico. The food, the people and the scenery are fantastic.
The first time I crossed the border to Tijuana I wasn't aware that American auto insurance is not accepted in Mexico. I've said to my wife once or twice that if I had been involved in a small fender bender and the police on the scene I would have ended up in a Mexican jail with killers, robbers and drug dealers and god knows what else for company.

Anyway I dont really need to go to Mexico. Mexico has come to California and there are many things to like in the Mexican culture

Old 03-19-2023, 11:11 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
The first time I crossed the border to Tijuana I wasn't aware that American auto insurance is not accepted in Mexico. I've said to my wife once or twice that if I had been involved in a small fender bender and the police on the scene I would have ended up in a Mexican jail with killers, robbers and drug dealers and god knows what else for company.

Anyway I dont really need to go to Mexico. Mexico has come to California and there are many things to like in the Mexican culture
You have that backwards. California WAS Mexico.

"This treaty, signed on February 2, 1848, ended the war between the United States and Mexico. By its terms, Mexico ceded 55 percent of its territory, including the present-day states California, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, most of Arizona and Colorado, and parts of Oklahoma, Kansas, and Wyoming. Mexico also relinquished all claims to Texas, and recognized the Rio Grande as the southern boundary with the United States."

https://www.archives.gov/milestone-d...dalupe-hidalgo

Old 03-19-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
That's a straw man argument. Fact is the the US is very much involved since the drugs are coming across the border and it's a situation that can only get worse if the Mexican government do nothing.

My solution would be to carry out an immediate execution of any and all cartel members taken this side of the border. A bullet in the back of the head and a quick burial in a hole in the desert. If that doesn't work then special ops into Mexico. I'm sure they already know where these killer drugs are being manufactured. There's also the option of missile strikes to take out those places

Of course it's not likely to happen unless someone like Trump wins in 2024

As for Chicago it's only a local problem with gangs killing each other for drugs mostly distributed in the Chicago area. At least as long as their wasting each other then that's a solution in it's own way
Alright cowboy. So yeah ignore laws and due process and start wars in foreign territories. Good luck with that

Old 03-20-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Alright cowboy. So yeah ignore laws and due process and start wars in foreign territories. Good luck with that
No war necessary. A missile when programed could go straight through your toilet window. A clean kill on the drug labs with a warning beforehand to get out. Too bad if the Mexican government dont like it.

Mexico is so corrupt that nothing will ever be done to curb the smuggling of their killer crap Fentanyl into the United States.

But hey lets go along with your beliefs, do nothing but issue meaningless requests to the Mexican govt and hope that meanwhile not too many Americans especially the young wont destroy themselves getting hooked on the stuff

Old 03-20-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You have that backwards. California WAS Mexico.

"This treaty, signed on February 2, 1848, ended the war between the United States and Mexico. By its terms, Mexico ceded 55 percent of its territory, including the present-day states California, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, most of Arizona and Colorado, and parts of Oklahoma, Kansas, and Wyoming. Mexico also relinquished all claims to Texas, and recognized the Rio Grande as the southern boundary with the United States."

https://www.archives.gov/milestone-d...dalupe-hidalgo
I am perfectly aware of all that. What I meant was that the Hispanic population of California has grown substantially over the forty years I've been here.

Anyway its a fact that California has benefited from it and without them the State's economy would all but collapse so

Old 03-20-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
No war necessary. A missile when programed could go straight through your toilet window. A clean kill on the drug labs with a warning beforehand to get out. Too bad if the Mexican government dont like it.

Mexico is so corrupt that nothing will ever be done to curb the smuggling of their killer crap Fentanyl into the United States.

But hey lets go along with your beliefs, do nothing but issue meaningless requests to the Mexican govt and hope that meanwhile not too many Americans especially the young wont destroy themselves getting hooked on the stuff
So the drug problem in the US is all the fault of Mexico? What if another country accused US made products of causing their society ills? Are they allowed to send missiles into the US as long as they only hit the makers and designers of such products?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico