Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 02:09 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I have these desks,...

... had taped to it: a sheet with user-ids and passwords for the DOD computers on the base used by the desk occupant while on the base.
I used to work for DoD.
Their protocols were, shall we say, lacking.

I was not an IT person, so, when I showed one of them how I could, using their protocols, capture the someone else's account, they were not happy. But they did change the protocol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, 100% agree. It would take some pretty serious skullduggery even so - no operating system I'm aware of saves usernames/passwords in cleartext.
In the past 10 years, I have known one commercial site that saved them in the clear. And, for a time (hope this has changed) at least one OS had an option to save them in "reversible" encryption, to ensure people didn't reuse "parts" of their previous passwords, in their new passwords.

Quote:
People are sloppy. But - that would have been one set of credentials. Gathering a number of credentials - particularly from a company with IT as its main business - is a different kettle of fish. IT can't read your passwords.
Not normally, but the IT dept is capable of sabotaging the protocols so that they could capture them. (At least, with today's systems.)

I am not sure of the legal stuff here (that changes from time to time, place to place and is apparently a different standard if you are Democrat of Deep State), but the existence of a spreadsheet of passwords, if real, would indicate the IT department was seriously rogue.

If the spreadsheet was fake, that would be a different conversation. Either way, if someone took money for it, I suspect that would be illegal, but I don't know all of the legal issues. Seeing where all of this goes, might be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 08:55 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I find it pretty ludicrous that such a spreadsheet would exist.

If such a spreadsheet does exist, I would say that their ridiculously lousy security would be grounds for smartmatic to be removed from anything to do with elections.
There is no indication that the spreadsheet came from Smartmatic, nor would that make any sense. The more likely scenario is that hackers either hired by someone, or working freelance, sent socially-engineered viruses to employees of Smarmatic containing keystroke grabbers which then circulated through the company, collecting and mailing the passwords back to the hacker who in turn entered them into a spreadsheet.

Old 02-05-2024, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
There is no indication that the spreadsheet came from Smartmatic, nor would that make any sense. The more likely scenario is that hackers either hired by someone, or working freelance, sent socially-engineered viruses to employees of Smarmatic containing keystroke grabbers which then circulated through the company, collecting and mailing the passwords back to the hacker who in turn entered them into a spreadsheet.
That is still a serious IT failure, but plausible. Would only work if the keystroke grabber was custom built so that their anti-malware systems couldn't detect it.

Just one reason all critical systems should be air gap protected.
Might not stop an attack but it would sure slow it down.

I think, if the "spreadsheet" is real, it is more likely to have come from an insider.
(That is where most serious breaches occur.)

Old 02-07-2024, 01:17 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
That is still a serious IT failure, but plausible. Would only work if the keystroke grabber was custom built so that their anti-malware systems couldn't detect it.

Just one reason all critical systems should be air gap protected.
Might not stop an attack but it would sure slow it down.

I think, if the "spreadsheet" is real, it is more likely to have come from an insider.
(That is where most serious breaches occur.)
Why would any company have a spreadsheet of employees passwords? How would they even get them? No modern operating system stores them in clear text. I think you even said that yourself.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Why would any company have a spreadsheet of employees passwords? How would they even get them? No modern operating system stores them in clear text. I think you even said that yourself.
Ummmm, re read the thread. Especially #11.

Old 02-07-2024, 11:59 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
As with all things having to do with Sidney Powell, this feels like a half-baked movie plot.

But it would appear that if the OAN people thought they had an actual list of credentials - real or not - they may have committed a fairly serious crime in passing it on without involving law enforcement. Intent counts.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:29 PM

Quote:
As with all things having to do with Sidney Powell, this feels like a half-baked movie plot.

But it would appear that if the OAN people thought they had an actual list of credentials - real or not - they may have committed a fairly serious crime in passing it on without involving law enforcement. Intent counts.
Possibly.

If they did break any laws, I am sure we will hear about it.

The Left is itching like a dog with mutant fleas, to put every Trump supporter they can get to, in prison, because that is better than having someone in power that isn't going along with the NWO.

OAN isn't going to get a pass on this.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:50 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Smartmatic is suing OAN for defamation (from the 2020 election).

Smatmatic and OAN have settled. unfortunately it's a confidential settlement so no real information can be extracted.

Old 04-20-2024, 06:03 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,908,038 times
The Stalinist Democrats are already putting dissidents and political opponents in prison, or trying to, so it should come as no surprise that they are now trying to imprison journalists who don't report what the regime says they should report. And, equally unsurprising, the Democrat Party lapdogs have no problem with it.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:04 AM

18,078 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
Smatmatic and OAN have settled. unfortunately it's a confidential settlement so no real information can be extracted.
I'm sure OAN had to pay $$$$$ to get a settlement from Smartmatic. As they should.

Remember, FOX paid almost $800M to Dominion for lying about the company and election fraud with Dominion machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media