Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 09:57 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I presume that Golden Eye is a typo for London Eye, although there’s a film production company named Golden Eye in Finchley, North London.
I thought, “Golden Eye”?, thirty years driving an iconic London Black Cab and I don’t know the Golden Eye?
If I’d still been working I’d have handed in my green badge.
You are right. I was looking at the photo of it and then saw the "Golden Eye" term, and confused the two.

The name Golden Eye rang a bell as it was a James Bond movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 10:00 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We loved the river boat ride up & down the Thames. That, and the tours of Westminster and Hampton Court we managed to cover before our early departure home were very memorable.
At least for me they were, as my wife was a bit “cloudy” & dazed from the hydrocodone prescription from the hospital.
That’s why we want to return and complete our visit. (Damned Covid!)
Yes my wife and I have taken rides on the river both ways. To Westminster and to Greenwich. Enjoy it each time. I hope you both do get to go again and take the cruise, and your wife will be feeling well.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:18 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
only someone who lives in London would think its the most important city in the world!
talk about delusional.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:02 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Dont be daft, London is not the 'capital of the world' and the US is not 'the most famous country in the world' either! How can any country be 'more famous' than any other and where exactly did you read that London is the worlds capital?

Old 09-22-2022, 12:59 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
only someone who lives in London would think its the most important city in the world!
talk about delusional.
Old thread but I’d have a hard time picking between London and New York as most influential. With Brexit, it’s unclear if that will continue. An awful lot of finance had moved to Frankfurt.

Old 09-23-2022, 03:44 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Old thread but I’d have a hard time picking between London and New York as most influential. With Brexit, it’s unclear if that will continue. An awful lot of finance had moved to Frankfurt.
No it hasnt!

https://www.theglobalcity.uk/global-financial-centre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...%20Hong%20Kong.

Old 09-24-2022, 05:19 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
London is set to do very well out of leaving the EU, as it can ditch a whole load of regulations and encourage ever more free trading.

Liz Truss has already mentioned that she is going to ditch the EU Mifid II trading rules, which she has argued are too onerous for many companies, and there will be many other European regulations ditched.

Britain had a choice, either negotiate a financial deal or de-regulate, and we all know what happened the last time Britain de-regulated back in 1986, when what was known as the Big Bang occurred, with a vast expansion of Britain's financial sector.

The truth is the global financial sector doesn't like regulations or too much tax, which is why offshore accounts do so well and why countries, principalities and havens thrive.

Deregulation and free trade never made anyone poorer, and the EU is just likely to further regulate, meaning even more opportunities for the UK and countries such as Switzerland or places such as Dubai.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:21 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London is set to do very well out of leaving the EU, as it can ditch a whole load of regulations and encourage ever more free trading.

Liz Truss has already mentioned that she is going to ditch the EU Mifid II trading rules, which she has argued are too onerous for many companies, and there will be many other European regulations ditched.

Britain had a choice, either negotiate a financial deal or de-regulate, and we all know what happened the last time Britain de-regulated back in 1986, when what was known as the Big Bang occurred, with a vast expansion of Britain's financial sector.

The truth is the global financial sector doesn't like regulations or too much tax, which is why offshore accounts do so well and why countries, principalities and havens thrive.

Deregulation and free trade never made anyone poorer, and the EU is just likely to further regulate, meaning even more opportunities for the UK and countries such as Switzerland or places such as Dubai.
Except you no longer have free trade with your largest trading partner. So you devalue to pound down to par to lower your labor costs to be competitive in that market. Stockholders win. Employees don’t.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:46 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Except you no longer have free trade with your largest trading partner. So you devalue to pound down to par to lower your labor costs to be competitive in that market. Stockholders win. Employees don’t.
The devaluing of the pound is the result of debt accumulated due to the pandemic and energy crisis, as we do have a free trade agreement with the EU, known as the EU–UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement.

The EU is also the US's largest trading partner but the US does not have a trade agreement with the EU and has signed numerous trade agreements, and is going to sign up to the CPTPP next year.

The pounds was further devalued due to tax cuts in order to kick start the economy as it was back in 1985, however tax cuts mean £45 Billion more debt, so the currency markets reacted, however the Bank of England is now likely to step in and raise interest rates, which will help the pound recover.

The Euro is also near to a record low, as are other major currencies including the Japanese Yen, Australian Dollar,New Zealand Dollar, Canadian Dollar and Swiss Franc

Whilst the debt crisis in Europe is far far worse than anything in the UK, and this is especially true in relation to countries such as Spain and Italy, whilst parts of Europe is still feeling the pain from the last Euro crisis. Thankfully Britain was never in the Euro and avoided a lot of the fall out from that.

The UK is in the same boat as much of the rest of the world, and there is a global recession going on, and lots of currencies have seen their values fall.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-27-2022 at 06:04 AM..

Old 09-27-2022, 12:24 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The devaluing of the pound is the result of debt accumulated due to the pandemic and energy crisis, as we do have a free trade agreement with the EU, known as the EU–UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement.

The EU is also the US's largest trading partner but the US does not have a trade agreement with the EU and has signed numerous trade agreements, and is going to sign up to the CPTPP next year.

The pounds was further devalued due to tax cuts in order to kick start the economy as it was back in 1985, however tax cuts mean £45 Billion more debt, so the currency markets reacted, however the Bank of England is now likely to step in and raise interest rates, which will help the pound recover.

The Euro is also near to a record low, as are other major currencies including the Japanese Yen, Australian Dollar,New Zealand Dollar, Canadian Dollar and Swiss Franc

Whilst the debt crisis in Europe is far far worse than anything in the UK, and this is especially true in relation to countries such as Spain and Italy, whilst parts of Europe is still feeling the pain from the last Euro crisis. Thankfully Britain was never in the Euro and avoided a lot of the fall out from that.

The UK is in the same boat as much of the rest of the world, and there is a global recession going on, and lots of currencies have seen their values fall.
When it comes to the global economic issues (caused by Covid and Putin) ts funny how the world is obsessing over the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London