Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 08:09 AM

5,124 posts, read 6,123,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually I just read in 2024 Nassau County unseated St Johns County for top school district in the state, which was probably bound to happen with the explosive growth and diversification in SJC.
The twins just entered HS and while ratings may have gone up we still have problems and where SJC embraced the growth with building schools Nassau County is severely overcrowded in the schools and has been slow to address and build new schools.

The amount of new housing here is incredible and has been explosive. It was so quiet when we arrived 34 years ago and you can’t stop progress but it’s out of control.

As far as flight, Jacksonvilles urban core is unlike anything I have ever seen. Here the suburbs are where the explosive growth has occurred. The majority of those living here seem to favor the suburbs over the urban core. We have a beautiful riverfront and yet it’s desolate. Not so much because of crime but the areas population see no reason to visit downtown other than for events then it is in and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 08:35 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
When I went through Jax last year, after being away for decades, I was shocked at the number of apparently homeless people hanging out downtown. That can't be good for the city's image. Especially for first time visitors.

I see plenty of new construction while driving around I295. Perhaps those are the landing spots of the folks moving away from declining areas. Those areas will be desirable for a while, until the criminal element moves in and cause a new flight cycle. You can't blame people for wanting to keep themselves & their families safe.

The data previously displayed does lend credence to a certain level of white flight. Or it could be that the Caucasian numbers are skewed by having a large amount of Hispanics move into the area. You would have to look at the total numbers, not just the percentage to determine if that is indeed happening. It could also mean that folks that previously identified as Caucasian have changed to identifying as Hispanic.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:03 PM

269 posts, read 117,840 times
Default Jacksonville

I really have hope for Jacksonville. Grand Park, the way its laid out it looks like it has a lit of potential due to it's central location. Also the moncrief area. However Jacksonville is very segregated and it will be hard to convince people to move to these areas. I noticed that a lot of residents NEVER EVER cross the bridge. With the exception of Riverside and a couple other areas it's like 2 different worlds. Until the attitudes change the problems will continue.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:11 AM

5,124 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
I really have hope for Jacksonville. Grand Park, the way its laid out it looks like it has a lit of potential due to it's central location. Also the moncrief area. However Jacksonville is very segregated and it will be hard to convince people to move to these areas. I noticed that a lot of residents NEVER EVER cross the bridge. With the exception of Riverside and a couple other areas it's like 2 different worlds. Until the attitudes change the problems will continue.
We've taken so many steps backwards since the landing days and the city continues to invest in the Jaguars but the downtown still remains desolate as far as restaurants and bars. It has helped bringing the Navy ship downtown as far as drawing people but with such beautiful River walks there's no where to have a drink or lunch on the beautiful riverfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville