Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 09:28 AM
rtt

302 posts, read 812,386 times

Advertisements

When we moved down here 25 years ago for a job relo we assumed we’d return “home” to retire. NO WAY would we think of doing that now. Love this area…..when we were younger found it a bit “sleepy” (and 25 years ago it was) but much more vitality now which we appreciate. We’re very very happy to stay put, and our kids, now grown, love coming to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 10:31 AM

264 posts, read 337,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
But if I can eventually swing a remote job, I'll move down to the Flagler County or St. Lucie County.

Same complaints about Flagler County. Palm Coast was subdivided decades ago for a lot more homes than are currently here, but more are being built every day. Those who have been here a long time complain incessantly on ND about the influx of people, with a cry of 'stop building houses here!'. Never once admitting that if they didn't want neighbors, they could have bought the lots around their home.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:16 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy3n8 View Post
Same complaints about Flagler County. Palm Coast was subdivided decades ago for a lot more homes than are currently here, but more are being built every day. Those who have been here a long time complain incessantly on ND about the influx of people, with a cry of 'stop building houses here!'. Never once admitting that if they didn't want neighbors, they could have bought the lots around their home.
I welcome the new houses as long as they agree to pony up for the infrastructure to support them. The issue, which has been discussed here many times, is these huge developments pop up with thousands of new houses yet many of them are built BEFORE the roads can be adequately widened to support all of the new cars and BEFORE any new schools are built for our already overcrowded schools. Silverleaf is a prime example. What used to be a simple drive - driving on St Johns Pkwy going either north or south - now is insufferable having to wait through 3-5 rounds of red lights just to cross over CR 210. Often times St Johns Pkwy going south gets backed up all the way to the Durbin townhomes, it's going to be a matter of time before it's literally backing up onto 9B. Coming the other direction is no better. They are building a new K-8 school inside Silverleaf but it won't be ready for another two years. Now many of the kids are being rezoned to another school yet again.

The whole north side of this county was terribly planned. I wouldn't even consider any housing down 210 like Shearwater until those roads are widened. What a nightmare driving down there now.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:05 AM

8 posts, read 5,147 times
the quiet little town of Orange Park has been forever affected by uncontrolled expansion in Fleming Island and southern Clay county. the amount of traffic on highway 17 is obscene .. and a problem that can't be solved. just to cross Park Avenue usually requires a 5 minute wait sitting at a red light. We were drawn to the river and the big oak trees .. and the availability of goods and services. But there is a price to pay for that.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:42 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,896,864 times
I just spent a week with family in Charlotte and its was freezing cold and the traffic was dreadful. I appreciate Florida more every day.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:20 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I just spent a week with family in Charlotte and its was freezing cold and the traffic was dreadful. I appreciate Florida more every day.
Yes, there is no "perfect" place to live. Every place has pros and cons and for me, the pros outweigh the cons here by a wide margin. When we first moved here in 2014 traffic was minimal and the schools weren't terribly overcrowded and housing was still very inexpensive (you could get a newer 4/2 in a good neighborhood for $300K - $350K). Much of that is long gone but there are still many good things about our neck of the woods. All you need to do is visit another large city to understand how good we have it here.

Old 12-03-2023, 05:20 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yes, there is no "perfect" place to live. Every place has pros and cons and for me, the pros outweigh the cons here by a wide margin. When we first moved here in 2014 traffic was minimal and the schools weren't terribly overcrowded and housing was still very inexpensive (you could get a newer 4/2 in a good neighborhood for $300K - $350K). Much of that is long gone but there are still many good things about our neck of the woods. All you need to do is visit another large city to understand how good we have it here.
We are going on 35 years since we relocated here for work and while we still enjoy our quality of life here but the changes since we moved here have been overwhelming. We are northerners who moved to Fernandina Beach for its small coastal town vibe where blue collar family’s were the norm.

We grew up in small established towns in New England where sprawl wasn’t even a thing. You might have seen a new subdivision go in but it was never more than 20 - 30 houses.

What we are witnessing here is unbelievable to our eyes. Nassau County just gave preliminary approval for an additional 500 homes right off Amelia Island and Wildlight is in the planing phases for an additional 15,000 homes.

As you say the weather, the quality of life and tax advantages makes living here great, just the ongoing sprawl and the change in density that doesn’t look like it is ever going to end.

The link below mentions the shift to Putnam County because of sprawl and affordability.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...GsoClaSoO9iAI8

Old 12-31-2023, 01:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
What we are witnessing here is unbelievable to our eyes. Nassau County just gave preliminary approval for an additional 500 homes right off Amelia Island and Wildlight is in the planing phases for an additional 15,000 homes.
I don't think the developers (and everyone else with their hand out) will be content until every bit of green space in NE FL is occupied.

We spent 15 years in North Florida, 13 of them on Amelia Island. I began having second thoughts in 2017.
I went to the city council meetings, I volunteered at Ft Clinch State Park, I tried to do all the helpful things I could, as did many others. But the relentless growth, congestion and accompanying traffic took a toll.

We left in 2020 (moved to rural Santa Fe County, NM).
Spouse continued to work remotely and flew back there once a month until recently.

No place is perfect. I miss the beach, if not the humidity. We still have friends there. But we had to leave.
Good luck to all who feel like they might have to make a choice in the future.

Old 12-31-2023, 03:41 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaN_78 View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but I am not from the North like you. Funny you should mention this because some of the neighbors around me enjoy bashing the people from NY which is one of my concerns. A lady who lives a few doors down is very nice and polite but because she is from the North, some of the ones from different parts of the South insult her. If you are from NY, I am sure they'd be saying the same about you. Yes I will move back to where I came from because I don't want to live in a neighborhood where people thrive on drama. Just not my thing. I have received valuable input on this subject but definitely not from you. Like I said before, if you have nothing of value to add then just ignore the post.
Where did you buy? Florida is a very transient state, and it’s not uncommon to have turnover among your neighbors. I’m in Alachua County, and in my cul-de-sac of 30 year old homes, only one original owner remains. Some of these homes have been bought and sold 3 and 4 times. Most of us moved up here from South Florida but there’s a couple of families that moved from other states in both the north and south. A neighbor hosted a marshmallow cook out around their fire pit a few months ago. What you’ve described is not any of the Florida neighborhoods I know.

You might have one odd person, but not the whole neighborhood.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:43 AM

122 posts, read 260,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Where did you buy? Florida is a very transient state, and it’s not uncommon to have turnover among your neighbors. I’m in Alachua County, and in my cul-de-sac of 30 year old homes, only one original owner remains. Some of these homes have been bought and sold 3 and 4 times. Most of us moved up here from South Florida but there’s a couple of families that moved from other states in both the north and south. A neighbor hosted a marshmallow cook out around their fire pit a few months ago. What you’ve described is not any of the Florida neighborhoods I know.

You might have one odd person, but not the whole neighborhood.
I agree, our neighborhood is not like that at all. Yes, a few people do gossip, but not about the resident's origins or political leanings. And what gossip there is, is completely harmless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville