Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 07:23 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times

Advertisements

It definitely will be in the future as south Florida gets built out, more expensive and the population moves up there. Jax has a ton of potential. People who move to Florida want to try to go as far south as possible but over time that south level will go north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 11:00 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I really don't understand the milder weather in Orlando comment... only milder if you like hotter and more humid. Every time I go to the theme parks outside of winter, I am so thankful to be home in Jacksonville afterwards because the humidity is not as brutal and there is an ocean breeze. Having been born in the Northeast, I love the fact that it gets a little colder here. Gives a break from the heat and makes the long summer much more tolerable.

Yeah, but those Orlando beaches are just outstanding!

Old 01-10-2022, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 7,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
To be brutally honest, demographics. I don't really get your "intellectual" comment, and since you've not backed up your thought with facts, I'm ignoring it. Also, I don't really consider the Jaguars professional. More like minor league.
Demographics? So you are one of those individuals that prefer to be segregated rather than integrated? It is the year 2022, times have change. I hope individuals like you will learn to change with it.

Old 01-13-2022, 06:55 PM

3,641 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
people like florida for the beaches and warm weather. Jax has that, but its beaches are not as pretty as Clearwater, Sarasota, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale. Jax doesn't "look" like FL. Not many palm trees, colder, more southern in culture, not very appealing looking. Tampa and Orlando have more going on, more of a energy or vibe. Of course Miami does too. Tamp and Orlando have milder weather, theme parks, beaches, less southern feeling and close to the tropics and more interesting vibe, IMO. Jax is kind of podunk and south GA like someone said.....meh. It's blah for the most part.
That's about it. Jax has a very low energy vibe. However, this attracts people that like a lower energy. Winters are mild and enjoyable. Tampa and Orlando are not milder than Jax. Summer in Jax is hot and humid but even worse in Tampa and Orlando.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:01 PM

3,641 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I'm not sure what it is, but Jax has struggled for decades to have a vibrant downtown. It's in a beautiful location right on the river, but there's something missing. I think there are plenty of professional jobs there. Just can't put my finger on it.
Jax downtown river walk should be a place with vibrant shops and restaurants, parks, clean, fun and inviting. But that's never developed for some reason. Hopefully the new river walk plan will offer that.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:44 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
As soon as the Dems turn their attention to ruining SJC schools, Jax will lose its appeal.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:02 AM

9,377 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
As soon as the Dems turn their attention to ruining SJC schools, Jax will lose its appeal.
How miserable do you have to be to inject politics into literally every single discussion here and probably elsewhere too. Unreal.

Q

Old 01-14-2022, 11:14 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gchild91 View Post
Demographics? So you are one of those individuals that prefer to be segregated rather than integrated? It is the year 2022, times have change. I hope individuals like you will learn to change with it.
There are times that I don't think it's an "individual" preference for demographics, I think it can be more of a city or towns look that would draw diversity. Where we live, in northern Colorado, the demographics is 93% White, which doesn't leave much for any other race. But, that seems to be fine with folks that live here. Back in 2003 thru 2007, we lived in Parker, Colorado and the demographics was some 98% White.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:20 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Forget airportsl Jacsonvillw has no corporate headquaters and no major college or university of which I'm aware.

And fair or not, that tends to reinforce the "redneck" image that pops up in too many peoples' minds when Jacksonville (named for a less-formally-educated populist) is mentioned.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-14-2022 at 12:47 PM..

Old 01-14-2022, 11:46 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
First, we lived in an apartment in Jacksonville, just north of The Avenues Mall, for 10 1/2 years. BUT, for us, we should've never/ever left Colorado (Parker) in the first place. We gave up way to many things, moving to Jacksonville that we decided we really wanted back. Rodeo action, mountains, elk and "cowboy" feeling that Jacksonville definitely didn't have. We found out we don't make good "Southerners" and really shouldn't have stayed for the 10 1/2 years we did.

Talking about bugs: how about those giant water bugs (that look like cockroaches) invaded our apartment all of the time. Chasing them around got to be a real headache! One resident even complained to her mother on her cell phone "I can't believe I'm paying this much for rent and seeing these big bugs!".

Heat/humidity: Without a doubt, a person could/would sweat, but not nearly as bad as Orlando or even Key West.

Thunderstorms/Tropical Storms/Hurricanes: Sure seen a whole lot of lightning and very heavy rain. Seen a few Tropical Storms with either plenty of wind or plenty of rain. We were told, when we moved to Jacksonville, "this city is not prone to hurricanes, like the rest of Florida is". Well, Mathew was right off of the coast of Jacksonville, while Irma came right straight over Jacksonville. Parts of Jacksonville looked pretty bad, including the St. Johns River, after Irma hit.

My wife worked in Accounting for two big companies. During those times, she was in her mid-late 60's, but had a major University degree in Business/Accounting.

Now, we did do many things in Jacksonville, but not to many things downtown. When we lived there, we'd take our boat to The Landing and have lunch. Seeing the JAX Air Show from both NAS and Jacksonville Beach was very cool. But, in 10 1/2 years, only went to Jacksonville Beach four times. Seen the Cigarette Boat races on the St. Johns and Christmas Boat Parade and Fireworks one time. That was terrific!

As far as entertainment went, we were there when Latitude 360 opened on Phillips Highway. Some great bands played there. We went to the Greater Jacksonville Fair, of which was just "ok". We also done a few other things that was very enjoyable for us, but, 10 1/2 years later, packed up and headed back to Colorado.

We are now almost in our mid 70's, and even with the winters here, we are glad we are back, close to the Rockies. Been back for 2 1/2 years, thru a big blizzard and numerous snowstorms, but no heavy lightning, Tropical Storms or Hurricanes.

And, believe it or not, have seen a few Florida license plates here (not rental cars). Just saw one yesterday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville