Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 08:00 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times

Advertisements

Sorry I'm not following, who is "Donna" and who actually thinks downtown Jax could even approach 1% of NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 07:19 AM

5,160 posts, read 6,133,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remirosie123 View Post
I agree with most people on here. We went to see a show last night at the Florida Theatre, we went to Indochine first for dinner, about 3/4 full with most likely people going to the show too, then we went to Dos Gatos for a drink and it was pretty filled up. I would love to see this downtown only get better and better, and I heard different things like Donna not wanting growth for downtown, wants to get rid of the Jags, wants downtown to become another NYC(these are all RUMORS SO DO NOT JUDGE ME), on the other hand, I have heard ,that numerous restaurants and businesses are slated to open soon, Burrito Gallery has a sign that says "look for exciting new restaurant opening soon in this location" or something like that. It is really trying hard to get into the groove of being a great downtown, and the fountain looks beautiful, just need more places to go to eat , maybe sidewalk cafes, this could be an amazing city!
The block encompassing the Florida Theatre is referred to as the Elbow District and it appears to be the one bright spot.

As far as Donna goes she just got elected and is facing two big decisions on her plate right as she got elected. The Stadium renovations and the possibility of having to build a new mail. Each of these projects could cost the city close to 1 Billion dollars.

I am not defending her but there is a long list of mayors that came before her that have tried to revitalize downtown to no avail. Sometime in the early 80’s the flight from downtown to the suburbs kicked into high gear. Downtown did reach a high point in the early 90’s with the Landing, Harbormasters which turned into River City Brewing. We had water taxi’s and the Skyway was operational but all of that faded away. Even gaining the Jaguars could not bring businesses back downtown and while I am a Jaguars supporter I can’t see how giving Kahn all that money is beneficial to revitalizing downtown. I would much rather see the city giving seed money to small businesses.

It’s a shame with such beautiful river walks downtown Jacksonville can’t thrive.

I worked at Mayport TDY beginning in 185 finally moving here in 1989. At this point approaching 64 I am not sure I will live long enough to see a vibrant urban downtown I would like to think so but after almost 40 years it is not looking good. A stadium remodel and a Four Seasons hotel is not going to do it but I could be wrong.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 03-05-2024 at 07:37 AM..

Old 03-05-2024, 08:06 AM

194 posts, read 153,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
The block encompassing the Florida Theatre is referred to as the Elbow District and it appears to be the one bright spot.

As far as Donna goes she just got elected and is facing two big decisions on her plate right as she got elected. The Stadium renovations and the possibility of having to build a new mail. Each of these projects could cost the city close to 1 Billion dollars.

I am not defending her but there is a long list of mayors that came before her that have tried to revitalize downtown to no avail. Sometime in the early 80’s the flight from downtown to the suburbs kicked into high gear. Downtown did reach a high point in the early 90’s with the Landing, Harbormasters which turned into River City Brewing. We had water taxi’s and the Skyway was operational but all of that faded away. Even gaining the Jaguars could not bring businesses back downtown and while I am a Jaguars supporter I can’t see how giving Kahn all that money is beneficial to revitalizing downtown. I would much rather see the city giving seed money to small businesses.

It’s a shame with such beautiful river walks downtown Jacksonville can’t thrive.

I worked at Mayport TDY beginning in 185 finally moving here in 1989. At this point approaching 64 I am not sure I will live long enough to see a vibrant urban downtown I would like to think so but after almost 40 years it is not looking good. A stadium remodel and a Four Seasons hotel is not going to do it but I could be wrong.
I see what you mean, I was so happy seeing as many people out that evening as I did. I keep checking out "Gateway Jax" and see so much positive news and I just drove by Brooklyn and wow, it is really improving over that way. I guess a wait and see situation is the best thing right now. Our friends live in Pensacola and we have never been, but they love their downtown, but say there's not much else there, because we are thinking of moving from this area if things start to to downhill......I try to be positive, and praying for this city to be great, hopefully sooner than later as I am right behind you in age !

Old 03-09-2024, 08:24 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,937 times
Quote:

Malls and stadiums are just a way for very rich people to get even richer. I live in Indianapolis. Like Jacksonville, decades ago Indianapolis annexed the rest of the county it is located in. It formed a unified government structure with city and county government.

We built one stadium to steal the Colts away from Baltimore. Then to keep the team in Indy after decades, we had to spend about $1B on the current Lucas Oil Stadium. This landed us a Superbowl here in the snow belt. While these events are popular with elbow rubbers and the like, very few people make a little more money for the week, but overall these events usually have a significant cost with all the OT and roadwork usually needed. Indianapolis gained no Fortune 500 company as a result of hosting the Superbowl.

Our city also helped fund Circle Centre Mall. It opened in 1995 and was part of a redevelopment of the southern portion of our downtown area called the Wholesale District. In addition, a former canal towpath was redeveloped on the west side of the downtown area to become a pedestrian/bike sidewalk path. Today the mall is a joke. Both anchors long gone. Only a handful of national stores. Lots of what appear to be homeless people loitering about.

The mall actually helped the overall Wholesale District. We did lose the Union Station retail, but it wasn't much to being with. Bars and restaurants came. The area was popular in the mid-90s till about the mid-2000s. Then the mall started have trouble with unsupervised teens. Shootings, fights, etc. after they would get pushed out of the mall at closing time and be hanging around the few bus stops in the area.

Then the greed came. See, the developers didn't want to stop making money. So they took on other projects that the city wanted to rehab. Just NE of the mall is a diagonal street, Massachusetts Ave., commonly called Mass. Ave. Well, that place has taken off and is now the new darling of the downtown area. Thus the downtown mall and surrounding Wholesale District aren't that great anymore.

If Jacksonville builds it, people will come, but then there will be another pork project that the developers want to push a decade or so later. It will get built as campaign contributions need to be repaid. The new thing will draw people away from the former new thing, and slowly, the former new thing won't have the revenue to survive. Now, if the city can add tons of people, with money, willing to give that money to others, then maybe both areas survive and thrive, but if not, this is how things will play out.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:14 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,121,615 times
Quote:

What is 'Mayport TDY'?

Last edited by rainroosty; 03-09-2024 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Spelling/word check error

Old 03-09-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
What is 'Mayport TDY'?
I worked as a civilian for the Navy TDY = Temporary Duty Assignment.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:46 AM

16,561 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desifam View Post
I'm puzzled by the hate Jacksonville receives across the county and even amongst Floridians.

Jacksonville as I see it as a native PNW person is more economically diverse, has milder "Florida climate" (think humidity and heat), less prone to direct hit of hurricanes, fewer sinkholes, fewer gators and the bugs/creepy crawlies are "milder".

I also seem to find that the population is getting more intellectual than the rest of Florida.

It has relatively inexpensive housing (although that is changing) and it has a professional football team, a reasonable Tier 2 university (University of North Florida).

Why do people want to live in Tampa or Orlando? I just don't get the appeal. Miami, I understand -- it is an international city.
Some of your notions/perceptions are incorrect.
While south Florida might have more gators, rest assured NE Florida has plenty of them. Try kayaking in Egans creek if you have any doubts.
As to the bugs/creepy crawlies being milder, I beg to differ. The mosquitoes might be smaller, but they seem more aggressive in Jax, and unlike south FL, the no-see-ums are a menace in Jax.
Apparently, there is nothing you can do to get rid of them either, unlike mosquitoes which can be treated against.
Plus I have never seen Red Velvet Ants (aka cow killers) which aren't even ants and instead wasp like creatures which are hard to kill, in S FL. What about the Cicada Killers which aren't in south Florida, but they are prevalent in Jax.

As to more intellectual, there seems to be a heavy population of rednecks who chain smoke, chew, are tatted up including the women, have bad teeth, and do not strike me as very smart. Also there seems to be a meth addiction crisis that a drug councilor I spoke with said towns like Yulee and Calahan are loaded with.

Old 04-15-2024, 04:05 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Also there seems to be a meth addiction crisis that a drug councilor I spoke with said towns like Yulee and Calahan are loaded with.
This just in, Yulee is the driving force behind recent growth in Nassau County and how the public school district is now rated #1 in the state ahead of former #1 St Johns County. As a result t's highly unlikely the town is "loaded" with meth addicts.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:33 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This just in, Yulee is the driving force behind recent growth in Nassau County and how the public school district is now rated #1 in the state ahead of former #1 St Johns County. As a result t's highly unlikely the town is "loaded" with meth addicts.
Source? Just curious.

Old Today, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The island is pretty close to being built out if not already there and the expansion and rapid growth explosion has pushed out to Yulee at the interstate with Wildlight and Tributary.

As far as problems with Meth, it is not a full blown problem but it does make the news occasionally with the local drug busts and crackdown on the once or twice a year meth labs getting busted.

I really don’t think Nassau County has handled the rapid growth as well as Saint Johns County has.

Downtown Jacksonville has so much to offer with its riverfront and river walks, but amazingly here the suburbs continue to see explosive growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville