Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 03:15 AM

106,793 posts, read 109,020,929 times

Advertisements

not only are there ads but everything you google suddenly appears as an ad .

phew meta just got hammered ….down 13% as of now in the premarket . i think at one point it was down 19%

the volatility in these popular stocks is just insane …

that is a 200 billion dollar drop

this is the big reason i don’t buy individual stocks as a core . an earnings miss can crash a stock and set it back big time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 03:35 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,073,157 times
I have couple of local groups on FB that I look at every day. I’ve noticed that I’m no longer seeing any individual friends postings lately. I used to rely on FB to remind me of friends birthdays, etc. Yet I’m seeing a dozen ads for fake ferns, or underwear, or shoes, instead.

I doubt if I will close out FB, but I’m not at all getting the things I want to see on it.

Old 04-25-2024, 04:19 AM

106,793 posts, read 109,020,929 times
sometimes the algorithms are bizzare in what they do .

it’s scary how stupid the public can be with those political memes that are just so rediculous in what they want to attribute to one presidential or another .

Old 04-25-2024, 07:12 AM

5,484 posts, read 6,324,126 times
I don't use FB, never have. Don't like the product or the business model, and don't think very much of Zuckerberg as a CEO either. Don't use any of the social media sites except LinkedIn, and even that's becoming more FB like every day.

Meta, Google and Amazon are the internet, I'd rather just own Apple, the "pick and shovel" maker of devices that allow access to all the others.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:19 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,198,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I don't use FB, never have. Don't like the product or the business model, and don't think very much of Zuckerberg as a CEO either. Don't use any of the social media sites except LinkedIn, and even that's becoming more FB like every day.

Meta, Google and Amazon are the internet, I'd rather just own Apple, the "pick and shovel" maker of devices that allow access to all the others.
I’m hoping AAPL flushes after earnings like some of these other tech stocks have been. I’m interested below $150/share but not a penny higher.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:50 AM

5,484 posts, read 6,324,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
I’m hoping AAPL flushes after earnings like some of these other tech stocks have been. I’m interested below $150/share but not a penny higher.
I would gladly add at $150 or below myself. As Peter Lynch said, "the best stock you can buy is the one you already own."

Old 04-25-2024, 08:17 AM

2,291 posts, read 3,087,417 times
Honestly, unless FB changes it's business model drastically I think it's already reached it's peak or is very close to it, at least on the actual social media platform segment of the business. I see user count flattening and then going down in the near future. The "en$hittification" (It's a real term, look it up) of the platform has gone too far and a ton of users have been turned off by it. It's so full of ads, suggestions, etc that the real content people care about (i.e. what their family and friends are posting, pictures, etc) have been diluted to the point where it's barely worth it to spend the time on it anymore. If it weren't for family on there who want to see pictures of my daughter and our lives, etc, I'd have left a long time ago just like many of my other friends and some family members of mine already have, and many of them because of what I said above.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:05 AM

3,934 posts, read 6,848,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Honestly, unless FB changes it's business model drastically I think it's already reached it's peak or is very close to it, at least on the actual social media platform segment of the business. I see user count flattening and then going down in the near future. The "en$hittification" (It's a real term, look it up) of the platform has gone too far and a ton of users have been turned off by it. It's so full of ads, suggestions, etc that the real content people care about (i.e. what their family and friends are posting, pictures, etc) have been diluted to the point where it's barely worth it to spend the time on it anymore. If it weren't for family on there who want to see pictures of my daughter and our lives, etc, I'd have left a long time ago just like many of my other friends and some family members of mine already have, and many of them because of what I said above.
Do you even realize FB also owns Instagram? I see no slowing down of Instagram, and if the feds do end up blocking TikTok I suspect all the "kids" will revert back to insta in no time.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:32 AM

2,291 posts, read 3,087,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Do you even realize FB also owns Instagram? I see no slowing down of Instagram, and if the feds do end up blocking TikTok I suspect all the "kids" will revert back to insta in no time.
I was referring to Facebook, not to "The Gram". I know nothing about Instagram as I'm not on it.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:34 AM

37,647 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not only are there ads but everything you google suddenly appears as an ad .

phew meta just got hammered ….down 13% as of now in the premarket . i think at one point it was down 19%

the volatility in these popular stocks is just insane …

that is a 200 billion dollar drop

this is the big reason i don’t buy individual stocks as a core . an earnings miss can crash a stock and set it back big time
It IS crazy, isn't it?

As far as the ads on FB - they have literally gone nuts with them. But - I have started taking the time to block ads from advertisers that I don't wish to see. And at least now, the ads that I see are ones that I don't mind so much. Every time a new one pops up that I don't care for, I block that advertiser. It does help. But it is a PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing