Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 04:22 PM

7,734 posts, read 3,778,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it an interesting topic and when mogul brought it up in a discussion of 401k’s where it really wasn’t appropriate i thought about actually trying a version .

so if it doesn’t pan out its moguls fault. lol

it seems to me that the carolina reaper with its managed futures is a lot more subdued if the shorts move opposite then cliff asness’s ntsx version.

but it is capable of also greater gains if they move together as the longer term data shows.

ntsx is a one stop shopping etf incorporating cliff asness’s work as opposed to the roll your version with greater asset coverage and shorts with the carolina reaper
I just looked. My initial stake in NTSX is from 10/2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 02:09 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
According to mrs. moguldreamer, there are two types of things in this world:
  • Things that are my fault, and
  • Things that haven't happened yet.
of course the things that haven’t happened yet will be your fault when they happen

Old 12-15-2023, 02:12 AM

Quote:
I just looked. My initial stake in NTSX is from 10/2018.
these kinds of portfolios have been studied for a long long time .

until these etfs came out the average person had no real way they could pull them off unless they had great knowledge of futures hedging and the use of options and derivatives .

these etfs have skillful management well versed in these areas so today anyone can run a portfolio on steroids.

but having no experience wth them myself i will just dabble and play for now before committing any serious money.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:46 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Leverage is for trading, not buying and holding.

You have to use technical analysis if you're going to use leverage.

Otherwise, the drawdowns will wipe you out sooner or later.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Leverage is for trading, not buying and holding.

You have to use technical analysis if you're going to use leverage.

Otherwise, the drawdowns will wipe you out sooner or later.
these portfolios can be held forever in theory no different then any hedge fund . some have been around for decades .

but then there are some where shorts and leveraged assets have seen them closed and liquidated. some tudor hedge funds come to mind

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-15-2023 at 07:46 AM..

Old 12-15-2023, 09:08 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I like it MathJak because I do not have $10 million sitting around so that I can hire a hedge fund to manage it. Since you only have your lunch money in there I do not think I will roll over my 401k just yet.

Hope you update us when you have a whole month of results and maybe show how that compares to a normal 60/40 portfolio?

Old 12-15-2023, 09:40 PM

Quote:
According to mrs. moguldreamer, there are two types of things in this world:
  • Things that are my fault, and
  • Things that haven't happened yet.

Oh gosh I hope she doesn't leave and take half your money. You need to take the bull by the horns and put an end to her BS (feel the fear of losing your stuff and move past it). You must assert leadership... There's no other way out of it (force her into counseling).

Your spouse may start blaming you for everything if they are stressed, suffering from low self-esteem, or are control freaks. They may feel dissatisfied with you for various reasons, or they could be dealing with psychological issues like narcissism. Narcissists are manipulative beyond belief and blaming someone else is a form of psychological abuse.

If she's 30 and secretly resents you for your trips to the chicken ranch then what can we say? If she's closer to your age and a professional in her own right then the above.

That will be 5 cents.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:23 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Very much looking forward to your findings. I don't know anything about bond futures, but the concern here is that so often bonds and equities seem to trade in the same direction...but maybe inversion stopping and things getting back to normal?

Last edited by Lizap; 12-15-2023 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments

Old 12-16-2023, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Very much looking forward to your findings. I don't know anything about bond futures, but the concern here is that so often bonds and equities seem to trade in the same direction...but maybe inversion stopping and things getting back to normal?
what i am observing is the typical days where bonds and stocks are up the futures are down and the portfolio does not move much , so it counts on the days the portfolio all moves in the same direction kind of like the permanent portfolio for its action .

typically these leveraged funds are only for over night use because of how they work and the built in back sliding they do where they tend to self reduce their value internally.

but when used in this manner with other opposite funds they are supposed to act differently when you rebalance say once a month or so .

i still am not clear on exactly when to rebalance back to the original percentage in each.

there are crazy things going on math wise .

such as a fund that falls 50% day one snt back if it goes up 50% so .these funds are rest in value daily internally in ways i don’t totally follow so there is a lot going on behind the curtain.

if ever there were investments i totally didn’t understand 100% these are them. ha ha

Old 12-16-2023, 02:04 AM

You might just watch all your money disappear and never understand it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing