Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 10:39 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Are we buying?!?!
Not today and probably not for many more days, but it's on my radar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 04:12 AM

OK.... I rolled a very nice gain on Apple...into NVDA shortly after they split. It's been down ever since. I need some of you long term investing types to tell me why NVDA is going to be just fine, long term and I shouldn't do anything even though I've given back about 1/9 of my Apple gains so far.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:58 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
OK.... I rolled a very nice gain on Apple...into NVDA shortly after they split. It's been down ever since. I need some of you long term investing types to tell me why NVDA is going to be just fine, long term and I shouldn't do anything even though I've given back about 1/9 of my Apple gains so far.
My Apple position is up 447%. I don't understand why you even sold it.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:18 AM

5,470 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My Apple position is up 447%. I don't understand why you even sold it.
Same here. BG, you said you were going to hold AAPL long term, but held it what, a couple weeks? And now you're in NVDA and are freaking out over a pullback?? What I would say is that if you have to come here to ask other to "explain" to you why NVDA will do well long term, you probably shouldn't be in it. A stocks long term potential is something that you have to determine for yourself, preferably BEFORE you invest in it.

NVDA is a great company, with a long, long growth runway in front if it. My advice is hold your position, have a little faith in the long term picture, and be prepared to buy more and average down if the pullback continues. If you don't have conviction in NVDA - and it sounds to me like you don't, then sell it and look for something you do have enough conviction in, and that you would be prepared to hold for a minimum of 3 years. Long term investment stories take can take quite a while to play out!

Old 07-27-2021, 07:48 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
Quote:
There's a global chip shortage and NVDA is the top chip company

Old 07-27-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Same here. BG, you said you were going to hold AAPL long term, but held it what, a couple weeks? And now you're in NVDA and are freaking out over a pullback?? What I would say is that if you have to come here to ask other to "explain" to you why NVDA will do well long term, you probably shouldn't be in it. A stocks long term potential is something that you have to determine for yourself, preferably BEFORE you invest in it.

NVDA is a great company, with a long, long growth runway in front if it. My advice is hold your position, have a little faith in the long term picture, and be prepared to buy more and average down if the pullback continues. If you don't have conviction in NVDA - and it sounds to me like you don't, then sell it and look for something you do have enough conviction in, and that you would be prepared to hold for a minimum of 3 years. Long term investment stories take can take quite a while to play out!
Thanks! NVDA certainly looks really good long term especially after the split. But I'm not going to watch it drop below $180. 10 points to go.

As far as Apple. Yeah, I was planning on holding it a lot longer but wasn't expecting a 19 point gain in what, a month... I almost always take profits on something like this situation... Maybe I should have just left it alone though.

Gabriella...thanks and repped

Old 07-27-2021, 09:15 AM

5,470 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Thanks! NVDA certainly looks really good long term especially after the split. But I'm not going to watch it drop below $180. 10 points to go.

As far as Apple. Yeah, I was planning on holding it a lot longer but wasn't expecting a 19 point gain in what, a month... I almost always take profits on something like this situation... Maybe I should have just left it alone though.

I hear ya. I made that same mistake myself with DPZ. I bought it at $343.00, thinking if it got back to it's previous high of $430.00 I'd sell it, and then ended up selling at around $460.00. Well, it's at around $538 this morning, so my bad on that. I should have known better than to sell a great stock like DPZ, but I l was uncomfortable with the valuation when I bought it and I let a volatile market get the best of me. DPZ should have a been a VERY long term hold. Oh well, you can't win 'em all lol.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:12 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:

But why? Are you not investing for your retirement? I thought you were...maybe I misread something somewhere.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:28 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
Quote:

The majority of the time stocks go down after a split, at least in the short term. It was also added to the S&P and that brought buying forward with the news of the split when it shot straight up. Now people are taking some off. I learned this from somebody and after that waited until after splits to buy and it works pretty well. Obviously if I really like the company I buy irrespective of splits.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
But why? Are you not investing for your retirement? I thought you were...maybe I misread something somewhere.
I have two accounts. One is retirement, one is regular funds and that's our college fund. Plus my wife has a retirement account, but I'm getting so burned out right now that I"m probably going to stop working on that one for good. Just going to put a few conservative tickers in it and be done with it for a while. In fact I sold off the stocks that were in there this morning and it's just sitting in cash right now.

The NVDA is in my retirment account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing