Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:23 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,725,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How do we know you're not going to go on a spending spree?
I'm the person who, years ago, found someone's very full wallet on the ground near my car in a parking lot, it had at least $100 cash in it.

I took said wallet home, went online to try and locate the person from their driver's license address, but when I couldn't find any way to reach them or find a current or valid address, I then called the phone number on the back of one of their credit cards, talked to the customer service person at the CC company, gave them the owner's information, gave my name and phone number, and told the CC customer service person I found their customer's wallet and it was safe and asked them to please get a hold of the person to let them know because I had tried and couldn't find them or their phone number.

The CC company rep was amazed I had gone to all the trouble to try and track down the owner and had gone so far as to report the event to the guy's CC company.

Within 2 hours the owner of the wallet had it back, safe 'n sound, with not a $ missing.

That's what I would have hoped for if that had happened to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 11:37 AM

472 posts, read 474,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
If you dont believe me then dont repsond here

yes they are in cash that is why the personal banker is almost upset at me

all I ask is that she explains with rationale behind picking one investment over other that is my right

and FULL DISCLOSURE regarding what commision or fees she gets if I invest through her

everyone else thank you for the suggestions
That's this users MO. No matter what you say he has to say your wrong espeically in personal matters that he has no clue about.

Do what everyone here does, ignore him.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:39 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
so my "personal banker" has been on my case lately
telling me that I should immediately get out of cash right now and invest everything that is in my savings in a managed portfolio

she is saying that cash is going to be nearly useless in the months ahead and dollar is going to crash

WHile I do think that wisely investing is the best strategy but I'm getting uncomfortable why she is being almost pushy right now, secondly I would never like to invest in anything I do not understand ( granted my financial knowledge is poor ) but just seems silly to get into something I dont understand

Is there really a grave concern that dollar will lose most of its value in the near future ?

Do the personal bankers get a cut every time we invest through them or she is doing this out of the goodness of her heart and watching out for my interest ..I'm skeptical

please help
I wouldn't invest with this person at all. Ever.

It's time for you to learn the basics of investing. It's not that hard. Go to the library and read the personal finance section. Or check out some blogs online.

If the dollar really crashes in a major way, then very few things you invest in are going to do well--except maybe gold or precious metals. But honestly, if the scenario your banker claims is true, your best bet is to plan on moving to a rural area and to become self sufficient without money. I think getting off the money system is a good idea for lots of reasons. But if you can't or won't, then it makes sense to play the game.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:42 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Thanks man I appreciate the tit bit

I want to educate myself on investing stocks and financial markets
any recs where to start?

so she does get a commision of the money I invest through her I knew it , it sounds so shady that she is being so persistant and fear mongering and this bank is chase uggh
The first thing you need to know is that banks are not good places to go for investing for average people. There is such a thing as investment banking that may be worthwhile for very rich people--people with at least $1,000,000 to invest or more--but I take it that you're not in that category. Otherwise, they just rip ordinary folks of with poor performing products that charge high fees.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:12 PM

1,328 posts, read 862,953 times
^ yes I'm definately not in that category

I picked up this book "https://www.amazon.com/Investing-Dummies-Eric-Tyson/dp/1119293340

as a start

Old 08-24-2017, 12:38 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,625,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
That's this users MO. No matter what you say he has to say your wrong espeically in personal matters that he has no clue about.

Do what everyone here does, ignore him.
I think you were looking for you're instead

The OP just seems far fetched, if it's true the OP should complain to the bank's branch manager

Old 08-24-2017, 02:10 PM

1,067 posts, read 626,112 times
Quote:
Thanks man I appreciate the tit bit

I want to educate myself on investing stocks and financial markets
any recs where to start?

so she does get a commision of the money I invest through her I knew it , it sounds so shady that she is being so persistant and fear mongering and this bank is chase uggh
Here is a good list from members of the Bogleheads forum:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Book...ns_and_reviews

Old 08-24-2017, 06:13 PM

472 posts, read 474,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I think you were looking for you're instead

The OP just seems far fetched, if it's true the OP should complain to the bank's branch manager
And he comes and proves my point

Go back to cleaning up after the brokers you try to emulate.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:37 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,745,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
And he comes and proves my point

Go back to cleaning up after the brokers you try to emulate.
LOL! You're funny

Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,728,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The first thing you need to know is that banks are not good places to go for investing for average people. There is such a thing as investment banking that may be worthwhile for very rich people--people with at least $1,000,000 to invest or more--but I take it that you're not in that category. Otherwise, they just rip ordinary folks of with poor performing products that charge high fees.
1 million is hardly "very rich". That gets you maybe a 2 bedroom house on a 4000 square foot lot built in the 1920s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing