Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:51 PM

34,251 posts, read 18,616,638 times

Advertisements

What other currency does she think is more stable? Most fundamentals see interest rates rising, as the economy heats up. That would most likely mean a stronger, not weaker dollar. Now, all kinds of other things could happen, and nobody has a crystal ball, I just don't see another, more stable currency out there.

Ask her what the trend in gold prices has been, and where she see that going.

(btw, I am not a financial advisor!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 12:56 PM

11 posts, read 7,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
so my "personal banker" has been on my case lately
telling me that I should immediately get out of cash right now and invest everything that is in my savings in a managed portfolio

she is saying that cash is going to be nearly useless in the months ahead and dollar is going to crash

WHile I do think that wisely investing is the best strategy but I'm getting uncomfortable why she is being almost pushy right now, secondly I would never like to invest in anything I do not understand ( granted my financial knowledge is poor ) but just seems silly to get into something I dont understand

Is there really a grave concern that dollar will lose most of its value in the near future ?

Do the personal bankers get a cut every time we invest through them or she is doing this out of the goodness of her heart and watching out for my interest ..I'm skeptical

please help
You have to fire your 'personal banker'. Cash will never go obsolete at least for the next hundred years

Old 08-22-2017, 01:45 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,781,391 times
You didn't laugh at her and tell her she'd be out of a job if that happens? I think she would be more scared than you... considering what her career is in...

Old 08-22-2017, 01:50 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,797,730 times
The USD is fine but I'd certainly be more equities heavy right now. If Trump and Cohn get tax reform and get these corporations to repatriate their off shore money the economy is going to take off and will be inflationary. I wouldn't bet against them.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:52 PM

5,306 posts, read 6,196,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
...she is saying that cash is going to be nearly useless in the months ahead and dollar is going to crash.

Is there really a grave concern that dollar will lose most of its value in the near future ?

That the US currency will at some point in the future lose most of its value is a certainty. The $20 trillion+ US Treasury debt is a ticking time bomb. Those mealy mouths in the US Congress will hem and haw but will soon raise the debt ceiling again. How long this US reserve currency charade can be kept up is anyone's guess.

Bullion coins and bars are the best hedge against the collapse, not managed equities.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:22 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,625,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
That the US currency will at some point in the future lose most of its value is a certainty. The $20 trillion+ US Treasury debt is a ticking time bomb. Those mealy mouths in the US Congress will hem and haw but will soon raise the debt ceiling again. How long this US reserve currency charade can be kept up is anyone's guess.

Bullion coins and bars are the best hedge against the collapse, not managed equities.

Can you dial that crystal ball in a little bit better for us?

Old 08-22-2017, 02:38 PM

1,328 posts, read 863,938 times
thanks for responses
my dad always said if someone tries to sell you something but does not take the time to explain it then run and I think it is generally true

Old 08-22-2017, 02:39 PM

1,328 posts, read 863,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

even then managed equities is what she is selling right ? she also says investing in gold and silver is counter productive

she is just preying on my ignorance I guess

Old 08-22-2017, 04:13 PM

13,665 posts, read 9,738,979 times
Calls for precipitous and hurried action are almost always wrong. If there's one thing that one absolutely positively must do now - well, that probably is to do nothing. Just relax!

Inflation, however modest, is indeed inevitable; otherwise modern economies don't properly function. So, in the sense that cash "investments" (money market, certificate of deposit) are a long-term loser, by generally failing to pace inflation, the exhortation for seeking alternatives, is wise. But what are those alternatives? That depends on one's tolerance for risk, and for volatility.

This Forum is a lovely venue to banter, argue and offer wiseacre remarks. Actionable advice is harder to glean, unless by "advice" we just mean philosophy. Are other forums more helpful? Perhaps, but only if they offer a vetted FAQ or other form of guidance. Without making any endorsements, some other places to consider are the "Boglehead" forum, and popular blogs such as the ever-witty "Mr. Money Mustache".

Alternatively, talk to Fidelity or Vanguard. Those two evidently enjoy the highest reputation for probity and good investment-options.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,491,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'll help you out. Cash is bad; send it all to me and I'll take care of it for you, keeping it safe and comfortable.

How do we know you're not going to go on a spending spree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing