Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 07:29 PM

5,588 posts, read 5,029,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
If you want to know what happened, is happening right now, in the Bay Area. Take a trip out there and experience it. Watch out where you step, lots of human excrement on the streets and sidewalks, between the beggars, drug addicts, mentally ill freaks, petty thieves and just plain lazy bums. That’s what you will eventually have in Idaho if what you see continues. It’s bad in California. But they feed them and encourage that behavior in the Bay Area. Weird.
Yes this is so true and it's happening now. It got so bad I had to see a therapist for years.
I literally walked a straight line through the Civic Center BARF station and the streets of the Tenderloin right through the scumbags. It's so easy to get into a confrontation here on a DALY basis. Just got to make sure you have your protective clothing and equipment on and not let the scum bother you and just walk right through them. It's no loss to anyone stomping them into cement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This article suggests that while some Californians have moved to Idaho they were not the main driving source:

I just had this discussion with a friend who is a realtor in Nevada. She said everyone blames the huge increases in rent and sales prices of homes in Northern Nevada is due to Californians moving to the state and she said that's just not happening, but what is happening is that real estate investors, corporations and hedge funds are buying every house and apartment complex they can get their hands on and they now own so many that they are one ones setting prices in the area. She also said that the Reno City Council allowed an investor to buy a large number of older motels which were a source of housing for low income families and retirees. They tore the motels down and are now holding the property in order with the goal of some future project that will turn it into a shopping and entertainment mecca. She mentioned that there are no affordable apartments, and the people hurt the most are those who are working for minimum wage ($7.25) or a few dollars more who are now becoming homeless.

And I saw that pattern in Sacramento too, for a long time it was quite affordable, then the investors, both foreign and corporate came in and bought everything they could the result was rent for a 1 bedroom apartment going from $600 to $1300 in a few years. I don't have any answers but I think people buying single family homes not to live in but as an investment should be taxed differently than owner occupied homes and some of that money diverted to the construction of low cost housing. https://sacramentoappraisalblog.com/...ousing-market/
Yes I concur with you on this as my father lived up in the Sac. area for more than 30 years. The investors along with the slum landlords (Section 8) do not help the situation. They are purely in the market to make $$$ so this increases the costs and and in some cases contribute to neighborhood blight. Overall it makes it harder and more expensive to everyone. Absentee landlords along with turning the areas into rentals is a problem. Owner occupied is better. But I concur with you 100% the investors should be taxed differently than owner occupied homes.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:25 AM

269 posts, read 329,831 times
Quote:
If you want to know what happened, is happening right now, in the Bay Area. Take a trip out there and experience it. Watch out where you step, lots of human excrement on the streets and sidewalks, between the beggars, drug addicts, mentally ill freaks, petty thieves and just plain lazy bums.
Yeah, that's pretty much the worst area, though Venice Beach ("the home of the homeless") is also pretty outrageous. What I don't get is letting them camp wherever they want. Gee, there was a time I would have liked to camp at the beach, but it was illegal. No camping! But the poor homeless, they're allowed to camp at some of the most primo beach property on the Pacific coast. It should be an easy solution -- "Dude, you can't camp here!"

Quote:
That’s what you will eventually have in Idaho if what you see continues.
I don't see that happening in a million years. Homeless don't like cold, snowy winters. That's why they're in California.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:16 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,780,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
I don't see that happening in a million years. Homeless don't like cold, snowy winters. That's why they're in California.
You would think, especially in the wintertime. If we have a homeless issue here in North Idaho, it is pretty much invisible. A couple times a year I'll see someone dressed shabbily on a street corner asking for money, but that's it. They don't tend to stick around very long.

However, just a few miles away in downtown Spokane, they are all over the place. Even a few tents, or makeshift tents under railroad overpasses.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-22-2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much the worst area, though Venice Beach ("the home of the homeless") is also pretty outrageous. What I don't get is letting them camp wherever they want. Gee, there was a time I would have liked to camp at the beach, but it was illegal. No camping! But the poor homeless, they're allowed to camp at some of the most primo beach property on the Pacific coast. It should be an easy solution -- "Dude, you can't camp here!"

This is true. Also SF government has a special unit that employs city employees dedicated to the homeless. They get free showers, haircuts, counseling and now they have opened up a building for them to shoot up their drugs safely.
This city invites them to come from all over. The weather here is not harsh in comparison to other states. The crazies can make it here.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:31 AM

42,862 posts, read 26,322,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
This is true. Also SF government has a special unit that employs city employees dedicated to the homeless. They get free showers, haircuts, counseling and now they have opened up a building for them to shoot up their drugs safely.
This city invites them to come from all over. The weather here is not harsh in comparison to other states. The crazies can make it here.
Much of that is incorrect, but I don't want to go 'off topic' here so if you want to discuss SF please take it to the SF forum and we can discuss it in depth.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:07 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,366,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Much of that is incorrect, but I don't want to go 'off topic' here so if you want to discuss SF please take it to the SF forum and we can discuss it in depth.
Yeah, some of the Californians who post in the Idaho threads grossly exaggerate what's happening in CA while at the same time worshiping Idaho's corrupt state government.

Old 01-23-2022, 03:34 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
There are homeless here in the winters.
They just don't congregate in the cities.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:26 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There are homeless here in the winters.
They just don't congregate in the cities.
ThIs is true, having previously worked in a grocery store, I would see them often, no matter the time of year. Quite a number take refuge in the culverts.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:33 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Yeah, some of the Californians who post in the Idaho threads grossly exaggerate what's happening in CA while at the same time worshiping Idaho's corrupt state government.
Does every post have to be political?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls