Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 11:39 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
I am just gonna assume that it is the result of the Californians once again choosing another West Coast city to move to and to retire to and etc. I recently heard that Idaho is the second most popular state to move to in a country right now. From what state are most of those transplants coming from I wonder? I remember just two years ago you can get an apartment all day long we’ll under $1000 all over Idaho Falls and Pocatello. Now the majority of apartments are well over $1000 a month. I was reading another article about how the homeless population is now exploding in Idaho as a result of this mass influx of people with big money buying big homes and renting big places. The article was saying from some of the residents that most of the new apartment complexes going up are all $1200 and up and even as high as Seattle. Obviously catering to the well off elitist folks transplanting into the state. Looks like Pocatello and Idaho Falls are on their way within the next year to be just as expensive as Boise and all three will soon be within a couple years just as expensive is Seattle. All of this while the homeless population all over the extremely expensive West Coast is exploding and bursting at the seams and the affordable housing shortage and crisis is off the charts. It’s just a matter of a few more years and this entire country is going to be unaffordable and only affordable to the elitists. I wonder how do people feel about this out there in the land of the rich and the poor? What would Jesus do?
Looks like it for IF and Pokey because more development is happening there and it is affordable. But as greed kicks in with the supply and demand numbers go up so will the prices go up and become unaffordable like Meridian/Boise has become. It's happening all over the country.
Same goes for the other "shortages" we are experiencing now with food, fuel and other cost of living items we need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 07:52 AM

123 posts, read 215,862 times
Quote:
I wonder how do people feel about this out there in the land of the rich and the poor? What would Jesus do?
Jesus would maybe say "spread my story of saving grace, mercy, sacrifice, and free salvation." Not sure how much he'd care about one's wealth...it's about the heart, not the wallet.

I know there are an awful lot of charitable "rich" people out there. Also, they aren't doing anything illegal by buying real estate anymore than those who are selling them the high priced real estate are. I dislike the political and infestation of the Californians too, don't get me wrong... I would just be inclined to be upset by their politics that they bring rather than their money.

Want to blame free market? I'll take capitalism and her ills over Marxism any day. Seems we can always typically improve our situation if we really want to although there's tradeoffs with everything. I can move if I want, change jobs, etc. If you can't pull yourself up by your bootstraps in this country you can't anywhere. It's a big free country...at least for now.

It seems to me that we're all pretty "rich" compared to the rest of the world. There aren't really too many truly "poor" people in our country. We have way too many social programs to allow it. Visit a third-world country with your local church on their next mission trip and see what poor looks like.

Pardon me, but you sound excessively whiny...maybe jealous, of "the rich"" (I'm a teacher BTW)...It's a free country. Wealth is one of our blessings. I want John Deer and Henry Ford (figuratively) to be as rich as possible. They provide jobs for others.

Move. Make it happen. Better yourself. Believe. Adapt or die.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:59 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
It’s the same thing over and over again. Rich Californians come. Housing costs soar. Said city becomes unaffordable. Homeless population explodes. All the subsudized housing goes to folks here illegally. Veterans stay outside in the cold. Greedy landlords and money worshipping developers continue to cater to Californians. Case closed. These are your fellow Americans and they love you.
Except that most of the Californians weren't rich!
They were struggling members of the middle class who bought homes in California before that state's population exploded.
When they sold their Million dollar home, it was either drop a hunk of that money on another home or lose the money to capital gains taxes.
So, for these folks, dropping $300,000 on a house in Idaho was a very good deal. Especially when they had just sold a house that would have only brung $70,000 in Idaho. Idaho's homeowner tax exemption also saved them more of what was left over too.

Subsidies haven't ever caught up with real estate booms anywhere.

Most landlords are not greedy; when their property goes up due to a boom, so do the taxes. When the price of everything that goes into building a new house- the land, the materials, and the labor costs, no contractor can ever make a living selling a new house at pre-boom prices.
To stay in business, ever new house a contractor makes has to deliver enough profit to enable the contractor to have enough left for the sale to put a down payment on the next house the contractor plans to build.
So in the end, the profit has to be about 30% for him and his company, and another 15% on top for the next house before it's nothing but lines on paper.

Any contractor will cater to the high end of a housing market as much as he can. That's where all the profit is.
If the customer is from the same town or from out of state, it makes no difference to the contractor.
Most of them who I know would sooner work building a new home for someone they know than someone they don't.
But money is money. If some stranger wants a bunch of deluxe extras in their new house, that's great for any contractor.

I'm sorry if you moved to Idaho without enough finances to buy a house you wanted, and probably expected to find.

But that was your mistake, and no one else's. You weren't the first guy nor the only guy to move here impetuously and found things to be more expensive than anticipated; it's been happening here for 30 years.

I'm retired too, and I know full well how retirement limits any person's abilities to go out and find work that pays enough to overcome the huge obstacles of life in retirement.

Retirement for me has been learning how to conserve and conserve some more to stretch out what I know I have to meet the needs of what I'll have in my future. Every year of age brings on a few more needs that must be met on the same income.

That's no one else to be blamed but me for my situation. If I had planned better earlier in my life, I would have less need to conserve now.
One of my biggest mistakes was moving away from Idaho too impetuously 10 years before I reached retirement age.by the time I returned, I realized I should have just stayed here in the first place.

Old 01-18-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Looks like it for IF and Pokey because more development is happening there and it is affordable. But as greed kicks in with the supply and demand numbers go up so will the prices go up and become unaffordable like Meridian/Boise has become. It's happening all over the country.
Same goes for the other "shortages" we are experiencing now with food, fuel and other cost of living items we need.
"Affordability" is a very relative word.

As you mentioned (with an eek emoji) it's happening all over the country. If someone doesn't have enough financial resources to live where they are now, it's very unlikely moving somewhere else will increase those resources any.

Moving always costs a lot more than I ever anticipated.

Long before the big boom began, I always found housing in my new city to be more than I could afford. I always moved into a smaller place than I wanted as a result.

The more I moved, the less my resource reserve became. In the end, every move I ever made set me back more than it helped me out.

Discontent was always my primary reason for moving. And the discontent was always a passing thing that comes and goes. It followed along whenever I moved. The change wasn't always good from the first either though sometimes it was, for a couple of months.

Idaho was always just fine until I began thinking my grass looked greener on the other side of the fence.
Once on the other side, the grass turned out to be the same.

I always came back here with more problems than when I left, newly made from moving away. I took my old problems with me and brought them back unchanged.

Last edited by banjomike; 01-18-2022 at 04:58 PM..

Old 01-18-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Except that most of the Californians weren't rich!
They were struggling members of the middle class who bought homes in California before that state's population exploded.
When they sold their Million dollar home, it was either drop a hunk of that money on another home or lose the money to capital gains taxes.
So, for these folks, dropping $300,000 on a house in Idaho was a very good deal. Especially when they had just sold a house that would have only brung $70,000 in Idaho. Idaho's homeowner tax exemption also saved them more of what was left over too.

Subsidies haven't ever caught up with real estate booms anywhere.

Most landlords are not greedy; when their property goes up due to a boom, so do the taxes. When the price of everything that goes into building a new house- the land, the materials, and the labor costs, no contractor can ever make a living selling a new house at pre-boom prices.
To stay in business, ever new house a contractor makes has to deliver enough profit to enable the contractor to have enough left for the sale to put a down payment on the next house the contractor plans to build.
So in the end, the profit has to be about 30% for him and his company, and another 15% on top for the next house before it's nothing but lines on paper.

Any contractor will cater to the high end of a housing market as much as he can. That's where all the profit is.
If the customer is from the same town or from out of state, it makes no difference to the contractor.
Most of them who I know would sooner work building a new home for someone they know than someone they don't.
But money is money. If some stranger wants a bunch of deluxe extras in their new house, that's great for any contractor.

I'm sorry if you moved to Idaho without enough finances to buy a house you wanted, and probably expected to find.

But that was your mistake, and no one else's. You weren't the first guy nor the only guy to move here impetuously and found things to be more expensive than anticipated; it's been happening here for 30 years.

I'm retired too, and I know full well how retirement limits any person's abilities to go out and find work that pays enough to overcome the huge obstacles of life in retirement.

Retirement for me has been learning how to conserve and conserve some more to stretch out what I know I have to meet the needs of what I'll have in my future. Every year of age brings on a few more needs that must be met on the same income.

That's no one else to be blamed but me for my situation. If I had planned better earlier in my life, I would have less need to conserve now.
One of my biggest mistakes was moving away from Idaho too impetuously 10 years before I reached retirement age.by the time I returned, I realized I should have just stayed here in the first place.
BanjoMike….you’re awesomely insightful and love seeing the discernment and wisdom in your posts.

You hit the nail on the head…This guy makes mistakes and wants to blame. He wants something he can’t have and makes excuses why it’s someone else’s fault.

I’m a fitness junkie and like to use the saying of “eat less and move more” as a simple guide to decent heath for most people. I often tell people as well, it’s MUCH easier to not eat the Oreo than to have to jog for 30 minutes to burn it off.

We’ll…Same with money: it’s easier to not spend it than it is to earn more. Spend less. Have more. And subsequently, blame others less!

Old 01-18-2022, 08:06 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobucks! View Post
BanjoMike….you’re awesomely insightful and love seeing the discernment and wisdom in your posts.

You hit the nail on the head…This guy makes mistakes and wants to blame. He wants something he can’t have and makes excuses why it’s someone else’s fault.

I’m a fitness junkie and like to use the saying of “eat less and move more” as a simple guide to decent heath for most people. I often tell people as well, it’s MUCH easier to not eat the Oreo than to have to jog for 30 minutes to burn it off.

We’ll…Same with money: it’s easier to not spend it than it is to earn more. Spend less. Have more. And subsequently, blame others less!
Great analogy!

Old 01-18-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobucks! View Post

Letsgobucks hit the nail too!

I'm not a fitness junkie, but I'm finding that eating light and staying active is helping my long-haul recovery.
It's slow, but as my stamina improves, some of my lost strength comes with it. It helps my mind work better too. A happy mind finds ways to stay happy, just as an unhappy mind finds ways to stay miserable.

As you say; spend less, have more. I learned that late, but once I began saving a buck here and there, my thrift became habitual pretty quickly. The thing about money is it never sleeps once it's saved. interest always accumulates around it like an empty closet grows coat hangers.

Spend less, have more works for minds too. If most of a person's mental energy is directed toward finding happiness in the present moment, ways to find the rest will follow. Happiness can be saved, just like money, for when you need it.

Last edited by banjomike; 01-18-2022 at 11:29 PM..

Old 01-19-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
....Spend less, have more works for minds too. If most of a person's mental energy is directed toward finding happiness in the present moment, ways to find the rest will follow. Happiness can be saved, just like money, for when you need it.
That "rich" banjomike. I wrote it down in my journal of quotes, life-lessons, truisms. Thanks for that.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:57 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
There’s going to be those who have no hearts for the lesser fortunate. But to tell me that greed isn’t involved with these pathetic landlords and developers is horse-manure. I realize there are other factors as well, driving costs up, but if you develop a development where the apartments are going for $1300 in up in Pocatello Idaho and you know people cannot afford these prices and that there is an affordable housing shortage/crisis in Idaho,…you are evil my friend.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:00 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,046 times
Quote:
"Affordability" is a very relative word.

As you mentioned (with an eek emoji) it's happening all over the country. If someone doesn't have enough financial resources to live where they are now, it's very unlikely moving somewhere else will increase those resources any.

Moving always costs a lot more than I ever anticipated.

Long before the big boom began, I always found housing in my new city to be more than I could afford. I always moved into a smaller place than I wanted as a result.

The more I moved, the less my resource reserve became. In the end, every move I ever made set me back more than it helped me out.

Discontent was always my primary reason for moving. And the discontent was always a passing thing that comes and goes. It followed along whenever I moved. The change wasn't always good from the first either though sometimes it was, for a couple of months.

Idaho was always just fine until I began thinking my grass looked greener on the other side of the fence.
Once on the other side, the grass turned out to be the same.

I always came back here with more problems than when I left, newly made from moving away. I took my old problems with me and brought them back unchanged.
Is this the philosophy forum?? Please. Spare us the philosophy lesson. This about affordable housing and the lack thereof, by greedy Americans with no conscience.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 01-19-2022 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls