Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 03:52 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times

Advertisements

Is the cost of living and buying a new/newer home higher in Idaho Falls or Pocatello?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 04:12 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Is the cost of living and buying a new/newer home higher in Idaho Falls or Pocatello?

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...atchComparison

Old 08-18-2021, 05:41 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post

Thanks OneDawg

Old 08-21-2021, 01:46 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Relax Racer. The LDS religion is deeply rooted in SE Idaho and it is the way it is. It's also known that cities/towns/regions that have one dominant religion can become a social issue for some people who don't belong to a certain religion.

I do know for a fact that I would much rather have LDS neighbors than the other I pointed out in my post yesterday. And, yes, I am very familiar with both religions.

I think Pocatello is diverse enough that anyone could fit in as long as they are ok with the smallish size of the city. A city like Rexburg or many cities in Utah would be a different issue.
Honestly, living among the LDS is not a big deal at all in Idaho. They been here for so long that an outsider who's unfamiliar with the religion wouldn't be able to tell who was LDS and who wasn't in any of our larger cities.

In our tiny little villages that are sometimes 95% LDS, the differences are more obvious. Only because the church in those little towns is the seat of all social, recreation and civic events.

They are so numerous it's almost a given any town here, large or small, will have a lot of them.

The thing to realize is they're like members of any other church. Some never go to church at all, most go regularly but miss quite a few services, and some others are devout and live their faith.

It's a lot like living among the Baptists or the Catholics or the Methodists.

Old 08-21-2021, 05:10 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Well said.

Old 08-22-2021, 01:42 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Well said.
Thanks.

I forgot to mention one thing I intended to say:
Mormons are some off the best neighbors a person can have if you get along with them.
They will go out on the first snow and shovel their walk, and then go across the street and shovel the old lady's walk who lives there.

They like reciprocity, so if you go over and shovel the old lady's walk after the next snowfall, you're being the good neighbor they like. Lend a hand to one first, when you see someone needs help, and they'll come back twice and lend a hand to you when you need help.

A newcomer will almost always get a couple of missionaries come knocking on your door sooner or later. Mormon kids from other states and countries are sent to Idaho to serve their missions all the time.

If a person is polite with them and lets them know they belong to a different church, they won't come back, but they will probably invite you to come to one of their services. There's no obligation involved, so no one ever has to go.
But if you are curious about their religion, I suggest asking them in if it's a good time, and let them talk about it. It will dispel a lot of the bad rumors that have always circulated around the LDS, and you'll get some understanding of what the average Mormon believes. That knowledge helps a newcomer a lot because so much of their secular lives revolves around their church.

Another neat thing about getting to know the local missionaries is their willingness to come help out. They're typically young guys who are far from home and don't know any locals, but they would like to know some, as they get tired of spending all their time with each other.

They'll help someone move, or come fix a flat tire, or just about anything reasonable. Just ask for the phone number.
Right now, I'm planning on calling them up later this week to see if I can get a couple of them to come over and lend a hand putting up a new cover for my pergola on my deck. It's not a hard job for 2 or 3 guys, but it's tough for one, as one end has to be held down while working on the other end.

I mentioned it to the last guys who came to my door- both have only been here a few months- and they've been waiting ever since for my call.
For them, it's God's work. For me, it's a new roof on the pergola for the cost of a box of donuts and some chocolate milk to wash them down with. Reciprocity is good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls