Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 05:02 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times

Advertisements

Let's try having a designated thread about transportation in the region.

There are three tidbits I want to add today.

1. UBER is in Idaho Falls. They would like more drivers. How UBER will balance out with cabs and other, I don't know. Prices are suppose to cost the same throughout Idaho. There is a $5.00 Minimum. Then it is $1.75 /mile and $ .25/minute. I'm guessing most wouldn't want stuck in traffic on Hitt Road (AK 25th East) and other locations.

2. Delta starts 6/13/2015 flying directly from IDA to Minneapolis. This will be a seasonal flight for Idaho Falls. First class is available on this flight, since it is a bigger plane.

3. Construction starts Monday on Pancheri Dr. The funding was received too late last year to do this work. It will widen Pancheri from Bellin Road to the River. There will be more lanes in some areas and walking/biking paths to the river. It's important to get this work done now partially due to school being out and next year the Grandview, Skyline project is scheduled to start. All is important for more business on the westside or INL area. Several big projects could start at INL as early as 2016.

Please add flights into and from IFRA and the Pocatello Airport, highway construction projects, bad intersections and more you want to discuss here. This is being started as a new thread so it does focus on transportation from Salmon/Montana Boarder to theUtah Border and from Burley to Driggs,and the WY border. This will help us to alert others where there may be traffic delays or re-routing of traffic. And we can discuss problem intersections or areas on state roads or highways.

One area I'm watching on I-15, is the southbound lanes of I-15 just north of Blackfoot. I believe with the accident last week the total is now four in about 10 months at the same location. It isn't the speed. Alcohol has been involved in two accidents and two had at least one out-of-state driver. Please add any areas you are watching given repeated accidents, slow traffic etc.

Let's have fun in this thread

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 12:46 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Let's try having a designated thread about transportation in the region.

There are three tidbits I want to add today.

1. UBER is in Idaho Falls. They would like more drivers. How UBER will balance out with cabs and other, I don't know. Prices are suppose to cost the same throughout Idaho. There is a $5.00 Minimum. Then it is $1.75 /mile and $ .25/minute. I'm guessing most wouldn't want stuck in traffic on Hitt Road (AK 25th East) and other locations.

2. Delta starts 6/13/2015 flying directly from IDA to Minneapolis. This will be a seasonal flight for Idaho Falls. First class is available on this flight, since it is a bigger plane.

3. Construction starts Monday on Pancheri Dr. The funding was received too late last year to do this work. It will widen Pancheri from Bellin Road to the River. There will be more lanes in some areas and walking/biking paths to the river. It's important to get this work done now partially due to school being out and next year the Grandview, Skyline project is scheduled to start. All is important for more business on the westside or INL area. Several big projects could start at INL as early as 2016.

Please add flights into and from IFRA and the Pocatello Airport, highway construction projects, bad intersections and more you want to discuss here. This is being started as a new thread so it does focus on transportation from Salmon/Montana Boarder to theUtah Border and from Burley to Driggs,and the WY border. This will help us to alert others where there may be traffic delays or re-routing of traffic. And we can discuss problem intersections or areas on state roads or highways.

One area I'm watching on I-15, is the southbound lanes of I-15 just north of Blackfoot. I believe with the accident last week the total is now four in about 10 months at the same location. It isn't the speed. Alcohol has been involved in two accidents and two had at least one out-of-state driver. Please add any areas you are watching given repeated accidents, slow traffic etc.

Let's have fun in this thread

MSR
MSR.
I will be watching this thread with interest. I do go on the Idaho state web cam pages and check out the freeways, at different locations. Thank you for starting up this new thread!!
Scott

Old 06-06-2015, 09:53 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Oh goodie!!! When traveling on I-15, let be known that the area around and including the lava beds (north of Blackfoot, rest area) seems to have it's own weather pattern at time due to the how the lava rocks can retain extreme temps. I have personally witnessed on either side of that area perfect weather and dry roads, only to encounter blizzards, hail storms, thunderstorms and extreme winds in that stretch.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:01 AM

434 posts, read 416,692 times
I saw locate marks on first street just east of hitt rd. That indicates to me that they may be starting work soon on widening first street. The very first step would be reconstruction of the small bridge crossing the canal. As an Ammon area resident, it is very good to see much needed infrastructure improvements.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
MSR.
I will be watching this thread with interest. I do go on the Idaho state web cam pages and check out the freeways, at different locations. Thank you for starting up this new thread!!
Scott
Please add your favorite webcams or links here too, Scott. It is to benefit everyone.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Oh goodie!!! When traveling on I-15, let be known that the area around and including the lava beds (north of Blackfoot, rest area) seems to have it's own weather pattern at time due to the how the lava rocks can retain extreme temps. I have personally witnessed on either side of that area perfect weather and dry roads, only to encounter blizzards, hail storms, thunderstorms and extreme winds in that stretch.
Cleosmom, Is that sarcasm or other in your opening? I would think given your own and the other pro experience in your family you would have very valid and good ideas.

I agree about the lava north of Blackfoot. I don't know how come there aren't the same amount of northbound accidents. IDK if people are looking at the lava or trying to determine where the Blackfoot exit is or other. There didn't use to be repeated accidents anywhere on I-15 like we've started to see north of Blackfoot. It may be lost tourists or cell phone coverage going in and out or other factors.

Any suggestions for visitors or locals so they can be safer in that area? By simply addressing it here, we raise awareness. Talking about accidents isn't fun. But you can be very funny

Old 06-07-2015, 07:45 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Cleosmom, Is that sarcasm or other in your opening? I would think given your own and the other pro experience in your family you would have very valid and good ideas
Not sarcasm, just refreshing to see something that is not political or Bruce Jenner's life change, which both all over Facebook

Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Not sarcasm, just refreshing to see something that is not political or Bruce Jenner's life change, which both all over Facebook
Gotcha Nope, I hope this is a resource thread anyone can use. I hope we can include info about different transportation options in the region, name the airlines and months of service for those who are seasonal, explain more about who can get bus service and how often as well as identify problem areas when traveling (I've seen a solution that would work very well at 17th and Hitt) to keep traffic moving always.

I have to find either a link or name of this Hitt and 17th possible solution as it is very cool and I think it would work splendidly at that intersection, or even mentioning the business west of Big Dog's is for sale. No business can get customers in and out of there except between 4:00 - 6:00 a.m. on Sundays. That might be a small exaggeration, but not too much. However, Ammon has the opportunity to purchase that property and could add another lane or two for right-hand (north turns for westbound traffic).

For anyone great at finding the designs of intersections or maybe possible pics, the model I'm thinking of for 17th and Hitt is a working intersection at 7800 South and Bangeter Highway in West Jordan, UT. The east/west traffic goes up and over traffic on Bangeter Highway, allowing constant traffic flow in all directions. How welcome would that be in the I.F./Ammon interesection. Others may have better ideas, but this would be a great option to think about, IMO.

As for detours, traffic changes right now, Theotherdude, 1st Street doesn't have construction yet, right? Please keep us updated.

Roads/streets that do have construction include:
1. 25th East south of Sunnyside.
2. Starting tomorrow, Pancheri Dr. by Skyline High School.
3. N. Woodruff between 1st Street north to Kearney .........construction got delayed. The whole rode will be redone there but one direction at a time. I think this is anticipated to take about a month for each direction. I don't know if this has finally started or not.
Any others anyone can think of? It seems like I'm forgotten some streets/roads

f5, anything in Bannock County we should avoid?

Thanks in advance everyone

Old 06-07-2015, 10:51 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Yes, avoid the roads I travel.

Only intersection that I found crazy when I first moved here is Yellowstone over I86. For those not familiar it is called a Diverging Diamond or a Double Crossover Diamond Interchange.

When traveling on Yellowstone, just before going over the Intersection, you will be directed from the right side of the road to the left side and then once over the intersection, you go back to the right side of the road.

The first time can make a person wonder, after traveling it a few times, you can see the advantage. NO left turns, just left entry ramps.

Other than this intersection, which is normal to me now; watch out for those texting while driving. I have seen more people texting while driving in this area than any other area I have traveled in the past few years. Had a guy in a Mustang start to come into my lane while he was texting yesterday, then he gives ME a dirty look when I honked. These people have to understand, a truck beats out a small car in an accident, and if it comes to me swerving into an oncoming lane and getting into a head on with an innocent party or slamming into their small car...guess what I'll choose.

Just some minor construction on I15 just south of Pocatello...

Old 06-07-2015, 04:13 PM

Nice f5.

I looked but couldn't find a better view of this. I guess UDOT went with a full overpass at the intersection I described. It looks different than an overpass and perhaps that is because there is a major shopping area on the west side (which created the need) and residential neighborhoods on the east. I still think this should be considered for 17th and Hitt. The argument could easily become does 17th or 25th East utilize something like this? It would potentially cost each city an equal amount regardless of which street did something similar.

New intersection opens at Bangerter Hwy and 7800 S | fox13now.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls