Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:04 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Thank You for the added information. I will check some more on Allegiant, does have Honolulu (HNL) direct Flights to Las Vegas. Should be able to fly into (IDA), After a layover. I had planned to stay a few days in Idaho Falls and then drive up to Salmon. Will be traveling in winter will have to plan for winter conditions on the first visit. Lemhi County Airport is located 4 miles south of the City of Salmon Idaho in eastern Central Idaho. This is a class B, general aviation airport. Will see how much it cost to fly up to Salmon, from IDA.
Rent a car up there in Salmon? Will think on it some more?

Thanks a lot. For the information, It helps a lot.
Scott
Yw, Scott.

There is a private airline charter that flies between I. F. and Salmon. No, I wasn't clear enough. I don't think you can rent a car in Salmon. I meant if you rented a SUB in IDA and decided instead of coming back to I. F., you might want to go to Butte or Missoula etc. to get an Allegiant flight from one of those airports back to Vegas. But you would need to know which days Allegiant flies from the various Montana cities to Vegas.

It may be easiest to fly to and from Salmon from Idaho Falls, but it would basically be a charter flight. If you are thinking of living in Salmon, you have to be willing to drive the distance. Most aren't.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:57 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Let me stir the pot a little more, you have one more Allegiant option from Vegas and that's into Ogden. Also, Allegiant offers some good packages for flying and car rentals, that's what we did this past weekend flying into Oakland, and had unlimited mileage to boot.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Let me stir the pot a little more, you have one more Allegiant option from Vegas and that's into Ogden. Also, Allegiant offers some good packages for flying and car rentals, that's what we did this past weekend flying into Oakland, and had unlimited mileage to boot.
I agree Cleosmom. Allegiant is an airline that flies different days to different airports. Depending on Scott's schedule and what days Allegiant flies to Ogden, that might work.

Scott, I'd plan on renting an SUV when you come to visit. There is no way to predict the weather far enough ahead. Since it's been many years since you've driven in snow or on ice. It's not time to use the smallest car

One last fact about Allegiant and Idaho Falls. I was surprised to see a larger number of passengers last year fly to Mesa on the year round flights vs. Vegas. I wonder if BYU-IDAHO students are a factor in those numbers? I'm glad both Vegas and Mesa are year round. I also know IFRA has asked Allegiant about keeping LAX and Oakland year round too. I.F. was one of the beginning airports that Allegiant started to sèrve. Maybe it will be for CA flights year-round too

Old 06-23-2015, 12:47 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Yw, Scott.

There is a private airline charter that flies between I. F. and Salmon. No, I wasn't clear enough. I don't think you can rent a car in Salmon. I meant if you rented a SUB in IDA and decided instead of coming back to I. F., you might want to go to Butte or Missoula etc. to get an Allegiant flight from one of those airports back to Vegas. But you would need to know which days Allegiant flies from the various Montana cities to Vegas.

It may be easiest to fly to and from Salmon from Idaho Falls, but it would basically be a charter flight. If you are thinking of living in Salmon, you have to be willing to drive the distance. Most aren't.

MSR
Understood now.
I have no problem driving. Just haven't done it for a while. It didn't bother me driving long distances. Will have to take it easy the first few times driving long distances, and stop breaks more often.

Thank you,
Scott

Old 06-23-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I agree Cleosmom. Allegiant is an airline that flies different days to different airports. Depending on Scott's schedule and what days Allegiant flies to Ogden, that might work.

Scott, I'd plan on renting an SUV when you come to visit. There is no way to predict the weather far enough ahead. Since it's been many years since you've driven in snow or on ice. It's not time to use the smallest car

One last fact about Allegiant and Idaho Falls. I was surprised to see a larger number of passengers last year fly to Mesa on the year round flights vs. Vegas. I wonder if BYU-IDAHO students are a factor in those numbers? I'm glad both Vegas and Mesa are year round. I also know IFRA has asked Allegiant about keeping LAX and Oakland year round too. I.F. was one of the beginning airports that Allegiant started to sèrve. Maybe it will be for CA flights year-round too
I agree with renting a SUV. Will put it on the list. Will see if i can rent a Subaru Outback, since that is what i'm planning to have up there in Idaho. I Will consider any flight that will make it easier to make the trip.
Thank you for all the help,
Scott

Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I agree with renting a SUV. Will put it on the list. Will see if i can rent a Subaru Outback, since that is what i'm planning to have up there in Idaho. I Will consider any flight that will make it easier to make the trip.
Scott
You're welcome. Subaru do great in Idaho, but I can't think of a car rental company who rents them. Maybe someone else knows.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:31 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Scott
Any rental SUV will do what any Subaru Outback will do. If you're only coming out for a look around this summer, unless you want to spend time in rough country, you won't need a SUV at all.

But if you want some time behind the wheel of a Subie, I'm sure Wackerli Subaru, our local dealership, would work something out with you. They have been selling them for over 30 years now. For a fact, the Subarus have a very high resale value here, and the company has always done well in the northwest.

Personally, I like 'em, but for a fact, Ford is making AWD outfits that appear to be as well built and capable. One sister-in-law chose a Ford over a Subie, while another sister-in-law drives a Subaru. My sister swears by her Jeep Cherokee. (but it's older; I've heard the new ones aren't so hot).

That's the way it is here; all-season vehicles are not a rarity, and which brand is best can be a matter of opinion locally. A lot of local folks prefer the Subaru Forester over the Outback; the Forester has more clearance, has more headroom, and has a slightly larger cargo area.

Finding a vehicle here with all wheel drive or four wheel drive is not at all difficult. All the dealerships have plenty of them in all sizes and price ranges.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Any rental SUV will do what any Subaru Outback will do. If you're only coming out for a look around this summer, unless you want to spend time in rough country, you won't need a SUV at all.

But if you want some time behind the wheel of a Subie, I'm sure Wackerli Subaru, our local dealership, would work something out with you. They have been selling them for over 30 years now. For a fact, the Subarus have a very high resale value here, and the company has always done well in the northwest.

Personally, I like 'em, but for a fact, Ford is making AWD outfits that appear to be as well built and capable. One sister-in-law chose a Ford over a Subie, while another sister-in-law drives a Subaru. My sister swears by her Jeep Cherokee. (but it's older; I've heard the new ones aren't so hot).

That's the way it is here; all-season vehicles are not a rarity, and which brand is best can be a matter of opinion locally. A lot of local folks prefer the Subaru Forester over the Outback; the Forester has more clearance, has more headroom, and has a slightly larger cargo area.

Finding a vehicle here with all wheel drive or four wheel drive is not at all difficult. All the dealerships have plenty of them in all sizes and price ranges.
Thank you Mike.
I will keep Wackerli Subaru in mind. You may be right about the Subaru Forester. I like the extra headroom and clearance.
Will be looking in IF and Salmon to live in Eastern or Central Idaho, more than likely. Still want to checkout the Pan Handle area of Idaho also?
Scott

Old 06-24-2015, 10:56 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Just checked their website and yes Wackerli does rentals, you'll need to reserve in advance.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Just checked their website and yes Wackerli does rentals, you'll need to reserve in advance.
Thank you closmom for the information. Will make a note of rentals for Subaru or Forester at Wackerli.
Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls