Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2023, 11:11 AM

12,967 posts, read 9,485,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Yes I have been there many times. Also I have been to Costco locations in other states which will be super busy with all of their checkout lanes running.

How often do you see all of the checkout lanes open at this location?

I'm not the only one to observe that it's not slammed 24x7:

And it is absolutely a declining area. I have been panhandled twice in that parking lot. But I imagine somebody will argue with me and insist that it never happened.
Well, it's not open 24/7 so that might explain the empty parking lot at midnight. But during operating hours it's always busy. I think their hours are 10 a.m. - 9 p.m., except they open at 9:30 on weekends. The gas station opens at 7 a.m.

But yes, it's in a declining area and was when Costco built there. It's not a really high crime area relative to some other areas, but we try to avoid going there after dark. Maybe just paranoid.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 04:31 PM

473 posts, read 405,130 times
This would be a smart move for Costco, based on the area demographic and the location of their competition (BJs) and it captures the fast growth happening in Limestone County. It would be interesting to compare the total SF of the old location to the new. If I had to guess, the new one is larger.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:01 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,837,463 times
I'm still scratching my head on why people think the current store isn't busy or the perception that it is in a declining area. People have been complaining about that location being too busy and asking Costco to build another location out in the Madison area to take some of the load off for over 5 years. Costco is known for not adding more locations to an area until the current one is completely overloaded. It looks like we finally reached that point and they are adding a new location to serve a growing area and it will also pick up potential customers that do not currently go to the location on the Parkway. The new location will be in an area that potential Athens customers will visit along with North Western Madison county and Limestone county.

Think about it. If they close the one on the Parkway, they lose all of South Huntsville, Arab, Hampton Cove, Scottsboro and Marshall county into Guntersville. Those customers are not going to go to Highway 72 in Madison.

The current location is fine in the evening and at night. Also, the police station is just up the street off of Pratt.

Old 12-06-2023, 09:04 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I'm still scratching my head on why people think the current store isn't busy or the perception that it is in a declining area. People have been complaining about that location being too busy and asking Costco to build another location out in the Madison area to take some of the load off for over 5 years. Costco is known for not adding more locations to an area until the current one is completely overloaded. It looks like we finally reached that point and they are adding a new location to serve a growing area and it will also pick up potential customers that do not currently go to the location on the Parkway. The new location will be in an area that potential Athens customers will visit along with North Western Madison county and Limestone county.

Think about it. If they close the one on the Parkway, they lose all of South Huntsville, Arab, Hampton Cove, Scottsboro and Marshall county into Guntersville. Those customers are not going to go to Highway 72 in Madison.

The current location is fine in the evening and at night. Also, the police station is just up the street off of Pratt.
On the trend of crime, the nearby Circle K (was a !Aapco) on the corner of University and Memorial, hosted many shootings which is mainly the reason it converted to a Circle K (905 Memorial Pkwy NW). It’s just a couple blocks from Costco, Home Depot, and Starbucks.

Please don’t take it personally but we prefer to shop during the day at this Costco.

Old 12-06-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
On the trend of crime, the nearby Circle K (was a !Aapco) on the corner of University and Memorial, hosted many shootings which is mainly the reason it converted to a Circle K (905 Memorial Pkwy NW). It’s just a couple blocks from Costco, Home Depot, and Starbucks.

Please don’t take it personally but we prefer to shop during the day at this Costco.
I get it. I mean it is in on the edge of the northwest part of town where the thugs live so crime is more likely. I don't recall ever hearing of any muggings or such around Costco, home depot or any of those stores in that shopping center.

That mapco changing to Circle k had nothing to do with that though. Mapco sold all of their company owned and operated stores to Circle k. All of those changed to Circle k.

Old 12-06-2023, 09:43 AM

375 posts, read 513,675 times
The main reason that that Mapco converted to Circle K is because Mapco's parent company sold 112 of its Mapco convenience stores to Circle K's parent company and the remaining 188 stores to Majors Management. The sale was completed and the branding changed consistent with that transaction closing. The rebranding had nothing to do with crime.

I've shopped at the Costco for over a decade at all different times and on different days and never once had a problem or felt unsafe there. Yes, there are panhandlers and homeless people in that parking lot and in the HD parking lot. However, I've never felt threatened or scared of those folks.

Last edited by Big Grumpy; 12-06-2023 at 10:19 AM..

Old 12-06-2023, 12:21 PM

31 posts, read 37,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
A guy on another platform noticed this, and I tried it, and sure enough...

If you search for Costco in the document, it finds 2, and highlights the word PROJECT in the title block. If you then highlight and copy the title block into a text document, you find COSTCO WAREHOUSE.
I appreciate your level of investigation!

Old 12-06-2023, 02:04 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post

We have been going to this Costco since 2014, never been panhandled, never seen anything out of the way, we don't go any certain day except never on Sunday due to the hours (65 miles away), the store has always been well run, hope they don't close it. Even though the the Fort Oglethorpe store is the same distance for us and the taxes are much less (9 versus 7 and 3), the traffic going through Chattanooga is a killer.

Last edited by GreggT; 12-06-2023 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-08-2023, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,411 times
I talked to a manager at Huntsville COSTCO and he told me they are building a facility in Madison and they WILL NOT be closing the existing store.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhsv View Post
I talked to a manager at Huntsville COSTCO and he told me they are building a facility in Madison and they WILL NOT be closing the existing store.
No surprise there. They have been needing an additional location to serve the City of Madison and Limestone County for several years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area