Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 03:44 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Its also helping to pay for the flyover I-565 ramps at Town Madison, which would still not be built otherwise.
I believe it is the annexation of Publix and subsequent Madison City taxes being collected that are paying for the ramps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I don't see how the "Breland Fee" is legal. It's like an individual, not a municipality, is able to charge a sales tax.
Why would it not be legal? It isn't a tax. The businesses don't have to pass the fee along to their customers, either. It actually seems like a good way for the users of Clift Farm to pay for it instead of the taxpayers.

Old 11-21-2023, 04:55 PM

641 posts, read 698,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
I believe it is the annexation of Publix and subsequent Madison City taxes being collected that are paying for the ramps.
Correct! Breland was let out of the obligation to fund the ramps (and to be repaid later at a healthy interest rate), and allowed the city to annex Publix. Since he wasn't collecting his fee from Publix anyway, he gave up very little for this concession to the city.

It wasn't a big win for the city either, in that it merely returned a grocery store to the tax rolls that had previously been on the tax rolls before moving to Clift Farm.

More proof (as if any were needed) that Breland and company are way smarter than the city of Madison. I was going to say smarter than local politicians, but after all it was Huntsville that snatched Cabela's away from Town Madison.

https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/2..._huntsvil.html

edit: The original interest rate to be paid to Breland was 10%, later renegotiated down to 5.47%. The latter was still a great rate until the past year or so.

https://whnt.com/news/madison-releas...dison-stadium/

https://256today.com/clift-farm-publ...n-for-madison/

Meanwhile, nobody is wasting away in the TM Margaritaville resort. But not to worry, Breland's team has an excuse for everything.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/08/hunt...t-waiting.html

Last edited by cooldiver; 11-21-2023 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-21-2023, 06:11 PM

653 posts, read 589,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Its also helping to pay for the flyover I-565 ramps at Town Madison, which would still not be built otherwise.
Yep, that is my understanding as well. Part of the negotiated deal the City of Madison made to help recoup some of the money that Breland was supposed to front in order to build the fly-overs since ALDOlT wouldn't come to the table and do their duty.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Based on observations, just how crowded does the one and single Costco have to get before corporate agrees to opening another Costco? Long lines, crowded aisles, constant restocking. Pardon the expression but it’s a zoo.
During the week, I think the crowd at Costco is reasonable with the exception of the retirement community who insist on stopping at each sample station and prevent those with work to do get their shopping done so they can get back to work....

Weekends.... avoid Costco and about all routes along HWY 72.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:17 PM

12,980 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Why would it not be legal? It isn't a tax. The businesses don't have to pass the fee along to their customers, either. It actually seems like a good way for the users of Clift Farm to pay for it instead of the taxpayers.
Sounds like a tax to me. It's not voluntary is it? If not, it's effectively a tax.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:20 PM

Speaking of BJ's.........

Anybody try any of BJ's branded liquors and what is your opinion?

I've tried the Costco Canadian Whiskey and love it. I'll pick up a bottle of it and a bottle of bourbon (various brands) every few months. I tried the Costco french vodka and it didn't taste the same way turpentine smells; so I guess it was good. I'm not much of a vodka drinker.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:22 PM

12,980 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
During the week, I think the crowd at Costco is reasonable with the exception of the retirement community who insist on stopping at each sample station and prevent those with work to do get their shopping done so they can get back to work....

Weekends.... avoid Costco and about all routes along HWY 72.
I've never been there when it wasn't crowded to the point of it being difficult to cross the checkout lane aisles. Also never had stopped at a sample station.

Workers should be at work during work hours, not shopping at Costco.

I suspect they're just looking for a safer location, since where they are is a bit sketchy, especially at night. But the current location is very easy to get to, being just off 565.

Old 11-21-2023, 07:24 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8grd View Post
Per Phil's facebook page from 2022

Phil Vandiver
May 11, 2022
·
Today at the Madison County Commission meeting we approved several appointees to reorganize 2 boards to start the legal procedure that will eventually end the fee known as Harvest Tax at the Harvest Square shopping center. The 2 million dollar bond that was used for road improvements and sewer improvements has been paid off a year early. The bond was setup to repay in 15 years and began in December of 2008. The fee does not automatically end. One board will have to meet and appoint members to the CO-OP board. Those will join appointees from Harvest Monrovia Water and the developer. That group of 5 will be able to vote and stop the fee. As you can see the legal steps of this will take a while to go through and are confusing. I just wanted to let you know the bond has been paid off and the process to stop the fee has begun.

Phil Vandiver
June 17, 2022
·
District 4 update.
Yesterday the Harvest Square Cooperative District Board met and voted to abolish the board and stop the collection of the 1 cent fee. The attorney from Birmingham who represents the Board will now contact the collection agency for the 1 cent fee and advise them to stop the collection. The attorney was not sure how quick this could happen but said he would work to make it as soon as possible. The question was asked if it could be done by July 1 and he thought it could be quicker than that. Any fee that was overpaid will come to the county and be used for its intended purpose of improvements within the Harvest Square development. The County Commission has a project approved to improve the turn lanes and safety of the intersection and businesses north on Jeff Road and Highway 53 at a cost of 1.2 million dollars. I want to thank all that have served on the boards to help get the fee stopped after it’s intended purpose has been met. I would also like to thank Jeff Rich the Madison County Commissions Attorney for his assistance in this matter. His assistance has help clarify and move this process along quicker and getting this fee stopped after all the legal obligations have been met.
Thanks for this but the $0.01 was actually a percent. As in 1%. Sure it’s a penny fee for a $1 purchase but why he (Phil) toyed with word play is a mystery. For those of us who paid it, it was 1%. If it was truly a $.01 fee, nobody would have cared if it was retained for a thousand years.

Old 11-22-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Sounds like a tax to me. It's not voluntary is it? If not, it's effectively a tax.
Taxes are levied by governments, so this is not a tax. And it is voluntary. If you don't want to pay it, go somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area