Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 06:06 PM

23,666 posts, read 70,756,242 times

Advertisements

I was in south Florida when Hurricane Andrew came through and Bryan Norcross saved hundreds, if not thousands. I value professionalism in weathercasters as a result. (I also am seriously upset with current search engines that seem to have relegated his role into complete obscurity.)

Having watched the various forecasts and emotive excesses here for years (including the famous "Dan" and his self-declared tornado warning) I have come to the conclusion that Kate McKenna is the professional in the market. Solid, no nonsense, and as accurate in forecasting as this weather area allows - and not afraid to hedge her bets on what will happen. NO histrionics, and about the only fault I can see is the station willing to sell some of her on-camera time as an imbedded commercial for a roofing company, which diminishes her power.

The others are (mostly) not bad, any many have improved quite a lot, but professionals stand out.

I have zero relation with any of the forecasters here, this is personal opinion, but I like being treated as an adult and not constantly being told to stay away from windows, go to my safe space, put on a helmet, cover myself with a mattress, download the weather ap, and cringe in a corner until advertising is back to normal.

YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 07:45 AM

2,462 posts, read 3,238,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

The others are (mostly) not bad, any many have improved quite a lot, but professionals stand out.
I find WHNT to be pretty low key, no nonsense with their weather delivery. WAFF, on the other hand, way over sensationalizes everything.

Quote:

I have zero relation with any of the forecasters here, this is personal opinion, but I like being treated as an adult
True, although not all viewers are adults.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:08 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,033,060 times
We only have Paramount+ so we only get WHNT's weather reports. They have a new meteorologist, and I like her. I liked the other guy too forget his name

I will check out Kate McKinnon like you mentioned Harry, that channel probably puts their clips on YouTube, like WHNT does.

I've tried a lot of different weather apps for my phone. I finally found one I really like, which is "KOB4 weather," out of Albuquerque. I found it when I lived in New Mexico. It had the most accurate for that area, and has been really good for other areas too. I deleted all my other weather apps one by one after finding them pretty non-useful.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
We only have Paramount+ so we only get WHNT's weather reports. They have a new meteorologist, and I like her. I liked the other guy too forget his name

I will check out Kate McKinnon like you mentioned Harry, that channel probably puts their clips on YouTube, like WHNT does.

I've tried a lot of different weather apps for my phone. I finally found one I really like, which is "KOB4 weather," out of Albuquerque. I found it when I lived in New Mexico. It had the most accurate for that area, and has been really good for other areas too. I deleted all my other weather apps one by one after finding them pretty non-useful.
Thanks on that suggestion. The weather app bundled with my phone is pure junk. Example: Today, as I type, there is fog and about 100% humidity, and flood watches, and the app suggests that I stay hydrated? WTF?

Jason Simpson was that weathercaster. Also got more professional, and a snappy dresser I copied off a broadcast of his first "tornado" event that had the non-existent tornado over Athens a few years back. It, and the subsequent hyperbolic reporting of a shopping cart being blown by the wind into a car during the storm, is pure gold not ready for prime time news. Even more funny, it made NBC news that night.

There is one female weathercaster with unique constant fluid arm movements. I swear I am going to put on Hawaiian dance music some night and just turn off the patter from the weathercast, so I can watch her dance.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:04 PM

LOL which channel is that?!

Old 02-04-2022, 08:52 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,159,763 times
I get all my weather from "Big Sky"over alexa and the phone app (Hyper Local). I've found it to be the most accurate from all of the various sources I've tried including whnt.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:26 AM

3,017 posts, read 3,627,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
LOL which channel is that?!
Probably Jessica Camuto at WHNT. She’s a good meteorologist.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:46 AM

The young brunette woman on WHNT in the a.m.? She IS a cutie. And has a terrific figure. Can't keep my eyes on the weather part...

Old 02-05-2022, 07:46 AM

658 posts, read 602,566 times
I've settled on the phone weather app named WeaWow. It's not plagued with all of the ads that many apps suffer from and especially those offered by our local broadcasters.

I've used WeatherUnderground site on the laptop but the phone version wasn't as clean as WeaWow.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:52 PM

It took a while to find this. Jessica just did great on the outbreak today. I'd say more, but that sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area